Author Topic: You guys DO realise....  (Read 12327 times)

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Re: You guys DO realise....
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:02:25 pm »
I mean really...would it kill her to say 'hello' to everyone?  it's so easy these days to post a 'note' somewhere? twitter/myspace/here/her website/forums.

the boards always resort to threads like this when theres a lack of news/updates from her...how long since we've heard from her? 14 months not counting the week or so from twitter.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 02:00:43 pm »
I do agree with you on the indie label thing. She & her music aren't suited to major labels, and Irv didn't have a clue what to do with her.

But indie is the best way to go, methinks.

star2b711

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
  • ☮ ♥ VC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 03:52:24 pm »
I agree with pretty much all of the rest of you.  I mean, I don't really think it's fair to pinpoint the non-success of H&T on one person/label etc....I just think it was a bunch of different factors and hopefully now Vanessa is making an album totally HER way and I personally am behind it 100%!

As for the whole swearing thing; I'm really hoping it wasn't on purpose because if so that just gets old and kinda makes me upset.  I went to Epcot to see Vanessa perform live for the FIRST time ever and was greeted by some lame cover band and told Vanessa would not be appearing due to "unforseen circumstances".  But I was willing to forgive her once I realized it wasn't totally her fault (Disney is just wayyy too uptight).  However, I DO agree that Vanessa needs to get way more involve with her fan-base (ie: us) ASAP!  It doesn't take that long just to post a Twitter update and keep us in the loop!  :D

CelestialHorse

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 05:57:31 pm »
I say "shit" and "fuck" a lot as well. I don't do it for any purpose in particular. And I doubt vanessa had a purpose either.

Me too XD Bad habit. I should cuss a wee bit less but I know when to not cuss so eh long as it's under control it's all good XD

I guess she's just REEEEEEEALLY busy...however I hate waiting for news from her but only because I'm impatient but I know whatever she's doing it will be worth it :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:59:23 pm by CelestialHorse »

nessafan_sa

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »
I sometimes get really mad at her too for not caring so much, but once I read this interview from Stevie Nicks from maybe last year. She said something about V like, "She could be the most famous rock star, but she chooses not too." It kinda made me think, whatever V does (long gaps, disappearances) she knows what she's doing and it's what she wants. And even though we kinda get annoyed I think we should respect that. I think she's one of those people who, when you expect her to do something, she does the complete opposite.

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 04:13:47 am »
I don't think she botched the Disney show on purpose because I'm sure she would have liked to make money from the show but I doubt they paid her after giving her the boot. I think she probably is just so used to letting loose at shows that maybe she forgot where she was? She's not used to having to watch her language at shows so it probably just slipped out.

Serentic

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - serentic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 02:40:59 pm »
Just to point it out, Nutnlp is my best friend now. <3 You're one hundred percent right, Vanessa has grown up, but that doesn't mean she can't still be fun and down-to-earth. I remember reading somewhere that Alison from A Fine Frenzy made her first album One Cell in the Sea serious because she was trying to hide her young age. Vanessa did it too, even in the beginning she didn't have very upbeat tracks. A Fine Frenzy still has incredibly deep tracks and entrancing vocals, but Alison makes it fun. I think this is what I'd want Vanessa to do. Don't lose her mystery and indie lyrics, but make the tracks varied -- loud, but still really deep.

charmedguy18

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 02:01:16 pm »
Why is everyone on these boards so quick to blame anyone BUT Vanessa?  Artists loose steam..its happening to tons of artists...I think her long dissapearances say A LOT about the kind of artist she is.  They gave her radio/tv spots/commercials/2 music videos...what else are they/irv/inc/universal supposed to do?  the album had lackluster sales...in my opinion because the first single was DULL & unrelatible unless you were Nessa or Lord Victor. It's not logical for a record company to keep putting $$$ into an artist/album if theres nothing coming back!!   Irv let her make the album HER WAY!  Why is everyone bashing him/the label?  They did more for her than A&M did w/ Harmonium!!  I think they did enough for her..I think it's time for V to step up her game a little bit.  If she doesn't do a film score soon....I can see her disapearing off the face of the planet.

I know shes always been a very private person but do you guys feel like 'ego' has gotten ahold of her?  I read all her posts from 2002-2006 and she was so happy & different...i know she has grown up a lot since then but REALLY?  All her posts now are VERY spaced out and....

I'm gonna stop before people hate me even more than they already do.
I'm just tired of everyone pointing the finger on these boards....it's nobodys fault but V's...i support TONS of indie artists who would KILL to have had the exposure V had w/ h&t.....yet they still manage to stay in contact w/ there fans/myspace/online stores/communities/etc.

I don't know what you mean by "he let her do the album HER way." He didn't. Even if she says that, you can hear the difference between H&T and the other albums -- it's more plastic, it's more commercial, it's mediocre, and it's jut not her.

However, you're right about her at least somewhat. You can't know why she does the things she does and I have a feeling there is a deeper issue than just simply her "ego." Her sister said to me once something which made this clear to me.

Gwen told me once that V didn't even see her family for nearly a year, choosing to stay reclusive in her apartment. I'm sorry, but if that screams "ego" then please tell me how. It screams, "mental illness" to me. There are other things she's said/done in public that point to that as well. It's just that we simply can't know what's going on inside her head and my guess would be that for whatever reason, she's in a mental state of emotional distress quite often and has a hard time maintaining relationships and contact with not only her fans, but also the people in her life. I haven't spoken to gwen since; I don't think she wants to talk to her sister's fans anyway, and I can understand that. So I don't know anything else other than the episode of reclusiveness. I just know that none of us can even begin to understand why she is the way she is. We can't because we don't know her.

HippieSongBird

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
  • I can't tell them apart anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 05:37:41 pm »
Why is everyone on these boards so quick to blame anyone BUT Vanessa?  Artists loose steam..its happening to tons of artists...I think her long dissapearances say A LOT about the kind of artist she is.  They gave her radio/tv spots/commercials/2 music videos...what else are they/irv/inc/universal supposed to do?  the album had lackluster sales...in my opinion because the first single was DULL & unrelatible unless you were Nessa or Lord Victor. It's not logical for a record company to keep putting $$$ into an artist/album if theres nothing coming back!!   Irv let her make the album HER WAY!  Why is everyone bashing him/the label?  They did more for her than A&M did w/ Harmonium!!  I think they did enough for her..I think it's time for V to step up her game a little bit.  If she doesn't do a film score soon....I can see her disapearing off the face of the planet.

I know shes always been a very private person but do you guys feel like 'ego' has gotten ahold of her?  I read all her posts from 2002-2006 and she was so happy & different...i know she has grown up a lot since then but REALLY?  All her posts now are VERY spaced out and....

I'm gonna stop before people hate me even more than they already do.
I'm just tired of everyone pointing the finger on these boards....it's nobodys fault but V's...i support TONS of indie artists who would KILL to have had the exposure V had w/ h&t.....yet they still manage to stay in contact w/ there fans/myspace/online stores/communities/etc.

I don't know what you mean by "he let her do the album HER way." He didn't. Even if she says that, you can hear the difference between H&T and the other albums -- it's more plastic, it's more commercial, it's mediocre, and it's jut not her.

However, you're right about her at least somewhat. You can't know why she does the things she does and I have a feeling there is a deeper issue than just simply her "ego." Her sister said to me once something which made this clear to me.

Gwen told me once that V didn't even see her family for nearly a year, choosing to stay reclusive in her apartment. I'm sorry, but if that screams "ego" then please tell me how. It screams, "mental illness" to me. There are other things she's said/done in public that point to that as well. It's just that we simply can't know what's going on inside her head and my guess would be that for whatever reason, she's in a mental state of emotional distress quite often and has a hard time maintaining relationships and contact with not only her fans, but also the people in her life. I haven't spoken to gwen since; I don't think she wants to talk to her sister's fans anyway, and I can understand that. So I don't know anything else other than the episode of reclusiveness. I just know that none of us can even begin to understand why she is the way she is. We can't because we don't know her.
What you are saying makes a lot of sense. It definitely is NOT ego, what you say Gwen said sounds a lot like my friend. He's a classical musician/composer and he shuts himself off from friends whenever he goes through a "rough patch"; I think V is like that, I've always felt that. When you are an artistic person you have an altered sense of emotion and it effects you much more heavily than non-artistic people. I am that way and any highly intelligent/ musically inclined people I know are like that.
I think she probably gets scared, too. Fans can be crazy, and I know I would be scared in that position.
I was stained by a role in a day not my own,
cause I've seen Twilight.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 06:14:48 am »
Fans can be crazy? Asking for an update is NOT crazy...going to her sister for 'inside' information and posting it for her entire message board to see is CRAZY!
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 07:00:59 am »
^ But then it comes back down to Vanessa and her lack of communication with us. If she updated us once a month, fans wouldn't have to message Gwen to find out what the hell is going on.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 09:15:11 am »
Yeah, I realize that.   But I am a fan of Gwen on Myspace Music but have NEVER messaged her about anything regarding Vanessa.  I don't even think I've ever left her a comment.  That's just wrong...I understand we all want updates on Vanessa(nearly every post of mine on here) but its still wrong to bombard family with messages asking for news/updates/status on Vanessa.  Thats invasion of privacy...just like when someone found 'that guys' Myspace page that was supposedly dating V...and everyone messaged him...so wrong.

I wan't updates/news but I'm not going to use her family/clique to get them.

charmedguy18

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 08:39:33 am »
Yeah, I realize that.   But I am a fan of Gwen on Myspace Music but have NEVER messaged her about anything regarding Vanessa.  I don't even think I've ever left her a comment.  That's just wrong...I understand we all want updates on Vanessa(nearly every post of mine on here) but its still wrong to bombard family with messages asking for news/updates/status on Vanessa.  Thats invasion of privacy...just like when someone found 'that guys' Myspace page that was supposedly dating V...and everyone messaged him...so wrong.

I wan't updates/news but I'm not going to use her family/clique to get them.

The point of me messaging her wasn't actually to get information. I did it because of a completely different issue and the conversation turned to her sister because she asked me if that's how I found her.

Fans can be crazy? Asking for an update is NOT crazy...going to her sister for 'inside' information and posting it for her entire message board to see is CRAZY!
Also, this was nearly six months ago and attacking me gets you no where. I didn't say anything for six months and I thought maybe now was the time to do it. If gwen didn't want me to say anything, she would have asked me not to.

So there it is again. Making assumptions about something you don't actually know about. You see, when you make these types of assumptions, you are essentially creating a story which may or may not be correct. Most often, these stories will not be accurate and you will have ended up making up a fictional story and trying to convey it as fact. It would be a good idea for any kind of discussion or decision that you do not make up such stories and get the whole facts before you place a judgment onto it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:46:05 am by charmedguy18 »

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:41 am »
have to disagree....im not starting any stories or false information..by you posting that on here, might lead others to start messaging her and doing the same....im not looking to start conflicts with anyone...was just stating my opinion.

charmedguy18

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 12:56:30 pm »
have to disagree....im not starting any stories or false information..by you posting that on here, might lead others to start messaging her and doing the same....im not looking to start conflicts with anyone...was just stating my opinion.
And my opinion of that is now you're trying to take back what you originally did. Which is all fine. But I also forgot to mention, I never referred to anyone as "crazy." I said "mental illness," which was not intended in a degrading or derogatory manner. Having a mental illness doesn't make you crazy and it's very rarely a mental illness is even blatantly obvious in the way people would label it as "crazy." That was yet another way you have manipulated information to make it seem more dramatic, more whatever, than it really was.

It won't lead to others doing it anymore than when someone posted gwen's facebook on the forums, which I was the one to insist it be taken off. If anyone does this, they could have done it before I said this. It makes no difference.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:59:26 pm by charmedguy18 »