Author Topic: Kean University - 10.09.10  (Read 27320 times)

sabasaba

Re: Kean University - 10/09/2010
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2010, 09:28:54 pm »
LOVE the new song, "Carousel" is epic. I love all of the songs. I have the feeling that "Rabbits" will be a spring version of "Harmonium" which was more of a fall/winter album. Can't wait. This will be huge.

I agree. There's something Harmonium-ish in ROTR. Maybe it's the rawness and the uniqueness of every song. If the songs already sound great live, I'm pretty excited to hear what they are going to sound like with strings and all.

I wonder what the record would sound like, especially there is no Jenkins involved now.

I agree completely about sensing a bit of a Harmonium-esque vibe in this album and everything else you mentioned! As I mentioned before, the classical/Victorian-esque essence of her new music also reminds me a lot of Harmonium. This makes me super happy as it's my favorite album!

sobriquet. I always find myself agreeing with almost everything you say!

The last line made me smile. Always a weird coincidence, saba. Maybe a long lost twin? (:

I wouldn't be surprised. :)

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2010, 12:22:38 am »
Well I hope it's a spring version Heroes & Thieves cause it's the BETTER ALBUM. K i'm done lol : )

While it isn't my absolute favorite record, I do agree that it is an amazing, albeit different, one. It's definitely more upbeat than everything she had previously done. I kind of see it as her 'coming-of-age' album, especially as it was recorded during such a transitional period of her life, what with breaking things off with Stephan, finally finding "home" in NoLita, getting her flair and passion back thanks to being on the road with Stevie, and just generally finding and recollecting herself as both a person and an artist. That's what I love about Heroes & Thieves, getting that sense that she has grown and matured as an artist and is finally at ease with the way things have turned out in her life and career. Personally, the raw and organic feel of Harmonium, as well as it's darker mood, appeals more to me. I'd say Be Not Nobody is my least favorite record - not because it isn't any good, it is, but mainly because it serves as the album that introduced me to Vanessa, not necessarily one I can over-analyze or get into great detail about as it kind of lacks substance...but that's just my opinion.

I agree. HAT has been the most mature of all her records. But Harmonium is still the best for me, with the perfect balance of her light and dark songs. And almost every song has the perfect arrangement.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Sai

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2010, 02:56:06 am »

I have the feeling that "Rabbits" will be a spring version of "Harmonium" which was more of a fall/winter album.

I agree and love the way you worded that! definitely hope so. Harmonium is my favorite hands down. With what I've heard thus far on this album though... it may just be my new favorite. We'll see~~~

Rabbits_on_the_run

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2010, 03:35:48 am »
Thanks Sai =)

Harmonium was my favorite album too, and it still is.

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2010, 05:47:34 am »
Harmonium is my favourite too and i'm completely sure it will always be. I think its superior in every level. The melodies, the lyrics and the arrangements. She does it too well with dark songs. <3
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2010, 05:52:18 am »
'Harmonium' is one of those albums that stands alone. You'll never hear another album like it.

I'm almost glad she didn't try and do another one like it because it probably won't hold a candle to it. It's just one of those records that you can only make once. She got everything absolutely spot on with it - the music, the arrangement, lyrics, etc = all created a mood for that whole album that was perfect.

vttmishere

• Make me high on lullabies
  • do it, do it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2010, 06:36:22 am »
'Harmonium' is one of those albums that stands alone. You'll never hear another album like it.

I'm almost glad she didn't try and do another one like it because it probably won't hold a candle to it. It's just one of those records that you can only make once. She got everything absolutely spot on with it - the music, the arrangement, lyrics, etc = all created a mood for that whole album that was perfect.
Exactly! It's also my favorite and I have no words to describe how I love this album, it's like one of those rare things in life that went perfectly right. It really feels that every little sound in there fits amazingly each song and the vibe of it as a whole. I keep dreaming one day she'll release an Instrumental version, it's so epic that I'd love to hear the instrumentals of it.
'can't fight the force of my young beating heart'

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »

Exactly! It's also my favorite and I have no words to describe how I love this album, it's like one of those rare things in life that went perfectly right. It really feels that every little sound in there fits amazingly each song and the vibe of it as a whole. I keep dreaming one day she'll release an Instrumental version, it's so epic that I'd love to hear the instrumentals of it.

I agree. I'd love to hear instrumentals from V. But I'd love to listen more to the songs she never released.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2010, 12:35:02 pm »
I really like these new songs! I was sort of disappointed by H&T as a whole but these songs sound a lot more mature and the piano is really nice. The part near the end of Carousel is so pretty! Yay!

Edit: Also, it seems like she's changed her singing style a little bit, especially on the high notes. I think she's using a more sing-song cadence and it's working well to smooth out the sometimes rough edges to her voice.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:53:23 pm by NoelleNC »

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2010, 08:02:52 pm »
I agree. She sounds way better than ever. There's sweetness and youth in her voice. Like back to the Harmonium days.

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2010, 01:25:53 am »
I agree. She sounds way better than ever. There's sweetness and youth in her voice. Like back to the Harmonium days.
The other day i was thinking about this. She definitely sings better now, has more range and better voice. But in almost every new song, she just does this high notes and i seriously miss that rough low voice she did when younger, like in the BNN, especially, and Harmonium era.
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2010, 02:27:57 am »
The other day i was thinking about this. She definitely sings better now, has more range and better voice. But in almost every new song, she just does this high notes and i seriously miss that rough low voice she did when younger, like in the BNN, especially, and Harmonium era.

Oh, yeah. The huskiness and roughness. I miss that too. But I like her voice better now.

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2010, 12:07:13 am »
This came through on the internet, just a review of the concert if you want to read it:

On Thursday, October 14, 2010, excited guests entered Kean University's Enlow Recital Hall on East Campus, anticipating Grammy Award nominee, Vanessa Carlton's, performance.

The opening act for Vanessa Carlton was 24-year old Megan McCormick, who, in the end of her performance, had the audience begging for more of her hip, smooth voice and rock-in-roll guitar. McCormick not only can sing but also is a renowned guitarist and songwriter. Always raised in a musical background of talented family members, McCormick always enjoyed listening to Bonnie Raitt and Steely Dan, to name a few. On August 17, 2010, her debut album, Honest Words, was released which consisted of alternative, rock-and-roll and pop music.

McComick was delighted to play some of her songs from her new album to the sounds of her. She played from love, to rock and roll songs. "I enjoy playing on this stage in this hall because it's very beautiful and I like it," McCormick said with a smile. Towards the end of her performance she was able to show the audience who she truly was through her lyrics and the passion that she had showed through her music.

As a student of Columbia University, having the passion for music that she had, Carlton signed with Interscope records. However, Carlton's career launched when she signed with A&M under the producer, Ron Fair, who made it possible for her 2002 singles from her debut album, Be Not Nobody, "A Thousand Miles" and "Ordinary day", to become hit singles. Now, she has returned from the United Kingdom after recording and finishing her next upcoming album which she was able to voice to the audience of Kean University.

As soon as Carlton walked on stage, the audience roared. Quickly, she began with her first song "Heroes and Thieves", which was from her album Harmonium. She played many old and new songs while happily conversing and joking with the audience. While performing, she also had her guitarist on stage with her, who will also be featured in her upcoming album. Carlton played "I Could Be a Bride", which was written by the guitarist and herself. "The guitarist and I wrote this song together, but he doesn't like the lyrics." Calrton explained, "because he can never be a bride."

Calton continued to entertain her fans and, in the end, just when everyone thought the concert was over, she began to play the classic introduction to "A Thousand Miles," on the piano, saying jokingly, "Sorry, I forgot one." Carlton was more than happy to play for her fans, both old and new. Carlton is currently finishing up her album, Rabbits on the Run, which will be released in 2011.

Bit of a mistake though, obviously the song Heroes and Thieves, comes from the Heroes and Thieves album, not Harmonium

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2010, 01:20:06 am »
This came through on the internet, just a review of the concert if you want to read it:

On Thursday, October 14, 2010, excited guests entered Kean University's Enlow Recital Hall on East Campus, anticipating Grammy Award nominee, Vanessa Carlton's, performance.

The opening act for Vanessa Carlton was 24-year old Megan McCormick, who, in the end of her performance, had the audience begging for more of her hip, smooth voice and rock-in-roll guitar. McCormick not only can sing but also is a renowned guitarist and songwriter. Always raised in a musical background of talented family members, McCormick always enjoyed listening to Bonnie Raitt and Steely Dan, to name a few. On August 17, 2010, her debut album, Honest Words, was released which consisted of alternative, rock-and-roll and pop music.

McComick was delighted to play some of her songs from her new album to the sounds of her. She played from love, to rock and roll songs. "I enjoy playing on this stage in this hall because it's very beautiful and I like it," McCormick said with a smile. Towards the end of her performance she was able to show the audience who she truly was through her lyrics and the passion that she had showed through her music.

As a student of Columbia University, having the passion for music that she had, Carlton signed with Interscope records. However, Carlton's career launched when she signed with A&M under the producer, Ron Fair, who made it possible for her 2002 singles from her debut album, Be Not Nobody, "A Thousand Miles" and "Ordinary day", to become hit singles. Now, she has returned from the United Kingdom after recording and finishing her next upcoming album which she was able to voice to the audience of Kean University.

As soon as Carlton walked on stage, the audience roared. Quickly, she began with her first song "Heroes and Thieves", which was from her album Harmonium. She played many old and new songs while happily conversing and joking with the audience. While performing, she also had her guitarist on stage with her, who will also be featured in her upcoming album. Carlton played "I Could Be a Bride", which was written by the guitarist and herself. "The guitarist and I wrote this song together, but he doesn't like the lyrics." Calrton explained, "because he can never be a bride."

Calton continued to entertain her fans and, in the end, just when everyone thought the concert was over, she began to play the classic introduction to "A Thousand Miles," on the piano, saying jokingly, "Sorry, I forgot one." Carlton was more than happy to play for her fans, both old and new. Carlton is currently finishing up her album, Rabbits on the Run, which will be released in 2011.

Bit of a mistake though, obviously the song Heroes and Thieves, comes from the Heroes and Thieves album, not Harmonium

Yeah. And It's called "I Don't Want To Be A Bride."

And the guitarist.. His name is something I can't quite remember though I'm sure his last name's Abrams.

beatriz

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2010, 07:06:40 am »
I think Mark Beauchemin is the one.