Author Topic: A.F.I.  (Read 13897 times)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
A.F.I.
« on: April 21, 2003, 11:42:43 am »
Anyone who hasn't checked out their newest album, Sing for the Sorrow, is nuts! Its really really awesome.

they are kinda rock/emo depending on the lead singers mood at the time.  Very rockin.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

LimeTwister

AFI
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 11:45:47 am »
i seen their C.D. in target, and wondered who they were...they were all black and white except this one that was red and black..I thought it was a sign for me to get that one, cuz it was standing out...but i didn't.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Joe...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 11:55:28 am »
Yeah, they did 2 covers.  I think i got the black one.  They are the same CD though.  Good stuff.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

LimeTwister

Re: Joe...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 11:56:49 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
I think i got the black one.

they were both black.

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
AFI
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 11:59:51 am »
What songs do you recommend?
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
hmmm
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 12:12:20 pm »
Limey... were they black/white and black/red? or where they black/white red/white? I dont remember.  when I buy a CD the first thing I do is rip all the tracks, take it out of the case and put it in a sleeve.  I only listen to the actual CD in my car.  I play only MP3's at home.

And Tricia... check out the following songs...

The Leaving Song Pt 2
Girl's not Grey
Bleed Black
This celluloid Dream

Those are my favorites off the newest CD.
---Andrew

---Andrew

LimeTwister

AFI
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 12:13:28 pm »
black/white and black/red.

HeyLookAtMe

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SnoBorderChikie
    • View Profile
AFI
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 08:20:01 pm »
They're my favorite band... I love them to death

Twig
has liked
them even
before they
became all
big & famous
& shtuffs :D
[image]http://members.shaw.ca/lang_mui/ethan.jpg[/image]

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
lol
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2003, 07:50:31 am »
I dont know that I would call them big and famous....  hehehe.  BUt they are getting more recognized outside of the indy sceene.  Hey played crazy fest here about 2 years ago along with Saves the day.  That was bitchin.

Ive decided I love the word bitchin.  Im gonna use it more.  BITCHIN!
---Andrew

---Andrew

HeyLookAtMe

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SnoBorderChikie
    • View Profile
yeah
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2003, 12:56:53 pm »
they're bigger than they were when they started out in the garage... :lol: I wrote an article about them in the school newspaper:

Four high school students making noise in a garage in the early 90's were looking for some way to alleviate boredom in a small town between skateboard sessions. As they learned to play their instruments with each practice, even they couldn't imagine what the band would become. With the release of their new album, "Sing The Sorrow," A.F.I (A Fire Inside) has finally outdone themselves. I've been following A.F.I for a long long time now, and they are needless to say, my favorite band. Even though they are constantly changing, they never cease to amaze me. "Sing The Sorrow" is A.F.I's first major record label release, with Dreamworks records. From the beginning, A.F.I has been signed on to Dexter Holland's (Offspring's lead singer) independent record label, Nitro Records. There is no doubt that changing record labels is a sign of A.F.I selling out. They feel that its a sign of A.F.I being all about the money, and not about the most important thing of all, the music. These pathetic ingrates couldn't be anymore wrong. What they need to realize is that a record label isn't what makes a band, their music is what defines them.
        While "Sing the Sorrow" is different for A.F.I they are far from selling out. A.F.I's new sound is unlike any other I have ever heard, chilling melodies colliding with furious aggression, and ocer top of it all is singer, Davey Havoks, eerie wail. Tracks like, "Dancing Through Sunday," "Death of Seasons," and "...But Home is Nowhere," A.F.I shows their true aggression with thrashing guitars, pounding drums, and Havoks perfected scream. A.F.I's more melodic side comes throughin songs like, "The Leaving Song," "Girls Not Grey," and "This Celluloid Dream." A.F.I mixes the two styles masterfully and the sound created is unexplainably perfect.
          For true A.F.I fans, this album may be different, but I guarantee that you will love this CD. For new listeners, you may not totally enjoy this album, but only because you don't fully understand it. Once again, A.F.I has created an impeccably superior album that will forever leave an impression on those that listen to it.
Thanks guys.

I didn't think I'd ever get done writing that... especially by my deadline... hehe

Twig
hopes you
liked it.  :D
[image]http://members.shaw.ca/lang_mui/ethan.jpg[/image]

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
AFI
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 12:54:54 pm »
hmmmm.... I disagree though.  I dont think Sing is that different from their earlier stuff.  its more refined.  Cleaner.  But not really different.
---Andrew

---Andrew

LimeTwister

AFI
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2003, 02:57:31 pm »
i downloaded "girl not grey" and saw the video on mtv...not bad at all.

Nightmare Nikki

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NightmareNikki0
    • View Profile
afi afi afi afi afi afi afireinside afi afi afi afi afi afi
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 04:12:33 pm »
Eh, yeah.  AFI.  They are hella rad.  You might know them from "Girls Not Grey," "The Leaving Song Pt. II," or "Silver and Cold."  They are incredible.  From their earlier punk roots, to their more hardcore days, to their labeless ways of recent, they continue to astonish me with their amazing sound.  The drumming Adam Carson provides is great (some of my favorites of his work can be heard in "Miseria Cantera" from Sing the Sorrow and "Malleus Maleficarum" from Black Sails in the Sunset).  The bass Hunter plays is fantastic (Its cool to hear his bass parts throughout the songs, he does them so well).  The guitar Jade Puget rocks is phenomenal ("Dancing Through Sunday" on Sing the Sorrow!).  And, of course, Davey Havok's voice is simply beatiful for its wide range.  He can be singing low, then hit a high note, or he can be singing so melodicly and all of a sudden be screaming with such passion in his voice.  Its incredible.

Now, tell me that YOU like them.

Nightmare Nikki

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NightmareNikki0
    • View Profile
AFI
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 04:16:24 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
i downloaded "girl not grey" and saw the video on mtv...not bad at all.

Listen to more.  GNG is decent, but thats not their best by far.   Find things from Black Sails in the Sunset, check out the Total Immortal video, hear more songs from the album that aren't singles.  You won't be disappointed.

Jophess

• View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
AFI
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 04:40:54 pm »
I saw them on the Hard Rock Cafe Live most requested. They were like #4. I couldn't figure out whether the lead singer was a boy or girl.  :oops:  He scared me.  8O
Joe