Author Topic: Daily Californian review  (Read 9371 times)

Harmonium

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
Daily Californian review
« on: July 27, 2011, 01:18:36 pm »
Worst review yet. What a B*tch...

http://www.dailycal.org/2011/07/27/vanessa-carlton-rabbits-on-the-run/

There’s nothing extraordinary about Vanessa Carlton. She plays the piano alright. She sings just okay and she’s pretty enough not to scare off CD buyers with her face on an album cover. However, being just suitable isn’t enough. Since her 2002 hit and Zales commercial go-to song, “A Thousand Miles,” Carlton has yet to release material of a similar pop magnitude. Almost 10 years since and four records later , Carlton’s most recent release, Rabbits on the Run, joins the ranks of the nameless tracks and mediocre piano-driven ballads that have come to comprise her career.
Even in her heyday (if having a one-hit-wonder can be defined as heyday), Carlton only played second string to Michelle Branch and on this record, her bland persona and middling musical dynamism only sink Rabbits on the Run further into this second-rate rut. On “Carousel,” there’s light, airy piano. On “Fairweather Friend,” there’s light, airy piano. And to no one’s surprise, there’s light, airy piano ― complete with light, airy vocals ― on every track. There’s nary a note of variety to be found on this record, where songs run the the extreme range between trite guitar ballads and trite piano ballads with Carlton’s almost squeaky vocals found somewhere amidst the rudimentary rubble.

However, if you dig deep within the trite, there is some, potential treasure. The muted and intimate a capella vocals on “This Marching Line” recall the rawness of Cat Power’s “Lived in Bars.” But, to call those fleeting moments “treasure” would ignore how drab most of this album is. At times, when Carlton is crooning, it feels as if she’s as bored as anyone who listens to Rabbits on the Run will be.

Jessica Pena is the assistant arts editor.

Rick

• building up falling apart—
    • AOL Instant Messenger - j3llyb0nes
    • View Profile
    • blog
Re: Daily Californian review
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 01:26:28 pm »
Jessica Pena is a stupid c*nt.

WHOOPS :D

Onyx

• Let's make this our story
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 01:30:28 pm »
Is this a joke? Is it opposite day?? Please tell me it's opposite day for that "reviewer." And she ment the opposite of what she said...

EDIT: I left a comment under the name HT. I was trying very hard not to use foul language and succeeded by nearly biting a chunk of my tounge off.  
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:39:43 pm by Onyx »

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
  • Perfect hair, perfect heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:42:12 pm »
I'm not gonna get angry. I've found with friends and music lovers alike that if you dont "get" Vanessa, you just don't. It can't be taught or explained, most of the world will never hear what we hear. And that's okay (...as long as she continues lol).

What this reviewer doesn't realise is that V isn't striving for "similar pop magnitude". She's just making honest music, she doesn't need the bells and whistles or being what she's not. I don't think her music is samey or stagnant. Sure it's cohesive because V has a distinct aesthetic and sound, direct from her. I don't quite see how songs like "hear the bells" or "in the end" could be seen as light, and certainly not trite.

Also, Vanessa is infinitely more talented than Michelle Branch (whom I like) lol. Each to their own, bygones be bygones.

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:47:36 pm »
I felt like posting a comment on her "review". It's not nice but it's not meant to be, she doesn't need that much attention. Period.
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Byoungforever

• All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:48:58 pm »
Ummm..... if this hadn't come from a newspaper, I wouldn't have believed that it was serious... I mean.... This is cruelty to a piece of art... She could at least have conveyed her dislike for the album in a kinder way rather than attacking it... this is... umm..... I don't even know what to say :/
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 01:56:52 pm »
I would barely even call that a review. Half of the article was her bashing Vanessa and her character.
Peace
Adriann

Byoungforever

• All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 01:58:05 pm »
I would barely even call that a review. Half of the article was her bashing Vanessa and her character.

We need a like button on here! :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
  • Perfect hair, perfect heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:22:32 pm »
yeah... not every reviewer will connect with the record, but i'll admit she was a bit unneccesarily cutthroat.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:45:26 pm »
There’s nothing extraordinary about Vanessa Carlton. (WHAT?)She plays the piano alrightAND IS SHE A CONCERT PIANIST WHO HAS MERRITT TO JUDGE?. She sings just okay and she’s pretty enough TRY BEAUTIFUL not to scare off CD buyers with her face on an album cover. However, being just suitable isn’t enough. Since her 2002 hit and Zales commercial go-to song, “A Thousand Miles,” Carlton has yet to release material of a similar pop magnitude. Almost 10 years since and four records later , Carlton’s most recent release, Rabbits on the Run, joins the ranks of the nameless tracks and mediocre piano-driven ballads that have come to comprise her career.DUH, SHE PLAYS THE PIANO, OF COURSE THEY WILL BE "PIANO DRIVEN"
Even in her heyday (if having a one-hit-wonder can be defined as heyday)"HIT" MAYBE, BUT SHE HAD PLENTY OF SONGS ON THE RADIO, Carlton only played second string to Michelle Branch UMM, NO.  THEY WORK WITH DIFFERENT INSTRUMENTS AND HAVE VERY DIFFERENT WAYS OF WRITINGand on this record, her bland persona and middling musical dynamism only sink Rabbits on the Run further into this second-rate rut. On “Carousel,” there’s light, airy piano. On “Fairweather Friend,” there’s light, airy piano.IS THIS GIRL DEAF? HOW CAN YOU THINK THIS SONG IS "LIGHT AND AIRY?" And to no one’s surprise, there’s light, airy piano ― complete with light, airy vocals ― on every track. There’s nary a note of variety to be found on this record, SHIT. PURE BULL SHIT. DID SHE EVEN LISTEN TO IT? where songs run the the extreme range DIDN'T SHE JUST SAY THERE WAS NO VARIETY?  IF THERE IS NO VARIETY THEN HOW CAN THERE BE AN "EXTREME RANGE?" between trite guitar ballads and trite piano ballads with Carlton’s almost squeaky  REALLY? AND WHO DO YOU LISTEN TO?  ARTISTS WHO USE AUTO TUNE ONLY???found somewhere amidst the rudimentary rubble.

However, if you dig deep within the trite, there is some, potential treasure. The muted and intimate a capella OKAY, IT'S BEEN AWHILE, BUT DOESN A CAPELLA MEAN WITH NO MUSIC?  THERE IS PIANO AND PERCUSSION IN THIS SONG SO.. YEAH, NOT A CAPELLA.vocals on “This Marching Line” recall the rawness of Cat Power’s “Lived in Bars.” But, to call those fleeting moments “treasure” would ignore how drab most of this album is. At times, when Carlton is crooning, it feels as if she’s as bored as anyone who listens to Rabbits on the Run will be.

Jessica Pena is the assistant arts editor.
~Sara~

Amy Alexandra

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - amy@willcoxcorvette.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:41:54 pm »
I guess I just don't understand how anyone can get so worked up over something they never have to listen to again after they review it, haha.
That was a frustrating read...

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 07:07:00 pm »
I've noticed a bit of a trend though in the reviews.

There are those reviews where the critic has done his/her homework (where they refer to her influences... Watership Down and ABHOT) which are a bit more understanding (though they also have a few negative points as well). They even mention about the album being analog and all that.

It's clear that the above spazz has no idea that the "light, airy" piano is INTENDED and we wish the piano could've been a HELL LOT MORE LIGHTER and AIRIER so that he/she would've probably PASSED OUT listening to it and still not figure out that it WAS INTENDED.

Sigh.

Funny, how we take these things personally.
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 07:21:15 pm »
I'm rarely one to take negative reviews personally - but this reviewer actually made it personal.  She insulted her looks, for one thing, and called her untalented.  I don't condone that at all.  This is the comment I wrote.  I kind of also want to write to the publisher, because honestly I think she went way overboard with this:

"I am yet another of many people who are solely on this site to inform you of the extent to which you are completely wrong about your assessment of Vanessa Carlton's latest album. 

Not only do I think you are totally out of line with your attitude (contrary to popular belief, people don't like reading this kind of snarky trash), but you're also just inaccurate.  Rabbits on the Run is real art.  Not everyone is going to come out with dance tracks or glitzy electronic pop - I like that stuff, by the way, but it's nice to see something different.  This is an expertly-crafted album created by people with far more talent than you or I, and this fact is made very clear when you really sit down and listen to the beautiful melodies, haunting production, and brilliant lyrics.  If you could perhaps open your mind long enough to take in something of substance, you would see how wrong you are with this review.

I take great solace in the fact that the Daily Californian is so under-read that most people will never see this review, or anything else you have written."

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 07:23:07 pm »
This just honestly pisses me off still haha
Peace
Adriann

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 07:41:43 pm »
Yeah I just sent her an email, since her contact info is easily accessible.  I kept it very civil and professional - I certainly don't believe in bashing someone else for revenge, but I did want to make it clear what I thought about her review.  I would strongly encourage anyone else who is able to articulate politely that they thought she was out of line, to do so as well.