Author Topic: My (Vanessa Carlton) Sheet Music Thread [NEW!!! "Ordinary Day {Alt. Version}"]  (Read 42916 times)

VanessaPiana

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've worked pretty hard on this [since late January/early February] and wasn't going to post up here until I got it just right. It's not perfect but I did my best. I listened to 'The Wreckage' & notated it as close as I could to the actual version, even adding my own flavour here & there. Comment to lemme know what you [whoever you are] think about it. I'm currently working on "Superhero" and will post it up here when I'm done w/ it. ;)

NOTE: To save you time you can download [and check out] the (attachments) down in the signature area. No having to go to any file-sharing sites or anything. Since it's hard work working on sheet music I like to usually work on one arrangement at a time. :)

Vanessa Carlton .mid/.midi & Sheet Music Index/Table of Contents (In Alphabetical Order)

-Alicia Keys - Feelin' U, Feelin' Me - (Video Here)

-A Thousand Miles (Album Version) - [Video Here]
-A Thousand Miles (Alternate Version) - [Video Here]

-C'est La Vie - (Video Here)

-Hands On Me - (Video Here)
-Hands On Me 2/II - (Video Here)

-Iwashiro Taro - Her Most Beautiful Smile (from "Rurouni Kenshin' anime") - [Video Here]

-Ordinary Day (Album Version) - [Video Here]
-Ordinary Day (Alternate Version) - [Video Here]

-Private Radio - (Video Here)

-San Francisco (Live Version) - [Video Here]
-San Francisco (Album Version) - [Video Here]

-Superhero - (Video Here)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:29:49 pm by VanessaPiana »

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
Here's "Superhero".
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:56:52 pm by VanessaPiana »

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
Re: My Own (sheet music) Transcriptions, Along With mid./midi file(s)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:48:48 am »
These are very cool, thanks! You don't by any chance have any youtube vids playing it do you? It helps me when I'm learning to see/hear someone playing it.

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:37 am »
That's great, thanks. I seriously admire people who can transcribe music because I have the melodic ability of a spoon, so cheers!

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:34:11 pm »
Thanx lots for commenting, I appreciate it. [Didn't think anyone would respond but I guess I'd have to wait, lol.] ;) Believe me, I've really wanted to for YEARS now, but unfortunately I don't have a webcam [and I won't be getting a laptop until after my birthday -- July 1st -- and I'll be sure to get one that contains one b/c my current PC is almost 5 years old and has that sorry Windows Vista]. But I'll be sure to do just that when I'm able.

As for 'Superhero' [it was pretty simple to transcribe which is why I got it done a lot quicker] I didn't add the lyrics b/c it was pretty difficult to do so and didn't want it looking sloppier or taking up more space. I figure y'all already know the words, anyhow. Moreover I might take down & put the pdf. & mid./midi. files after making minor adjustments.

BTW I use MuseScore [free notation software] to do sheet music. After going thru many programs this is the best (free) one. The ones that were better had only 30-60 day-trial periods and afterwards you either 1) lost the free benefits or 2) had to upgrade/pay for the extra stuff afterwards. MuseScore could use some boning up, but it's the best [it also looks the best].

I plan on doing more sheet music, but I haven't really decided what (we'll see). I was hoping to post this stuff on the official VC forums, but there's no such thing; I reckon they did away w/ it long ago and the only 'official' one (left) is this one.

Cheers. :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:36:50 pm by VanessaPiana »

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:18:21 pm »
Hey!

Thanks for all the efforts. :) I have stopped for a while in making sheet music, so the other quasi-archive of sheet music has not been updated recently. So, thanks for posting new stuff.

I just want to ask you if it's ok for you to add all of your work to my sheet music thread. :)

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:38 pm »
You're welcome. :)

Yes, you're most certainly free to do so... just one word of caution; I may [or may not] make changes/update certain things up there from time to time [I'm kind of a perfectionist]. But I'll let you know if I do.

As of current I'm working on the song 'Heroes & Thieves'; let you know when I'm done.

Peace. ;)

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:28:04 pm »
Here's "Heroes & Thieves"... a revised version of it w/ some improvisation on my part. I was gonna pattern my latest after Maag's but found that the note values [as well as the tempo] was in excess of ½, so I had to do away w/ the original copy/arrangement and redo it. I'd run into some roadblocks but took little more than a day to complete.

But I'd just like to add that Maag's & Phu's version(s) isn't obsolete b/c I've come up my my own; in fact if you want a simplified version some of you might find theirs more useful. ;)

C'est la Vie is next, tho' for some reason I never could get thru learning the entire song b/c I got bored. I plan to take the 'Harmonium' sheet music book version & Phu's version kinda put it together.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:44:36 pm by VanessaPiana »

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Wow!! your transcriptions are amazing!!  I have always had a hard time with the left hand with other sheets, I find yours pretty accurate ! thank you!!

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:39:52 pm »
You're very welcome. 8)

But Phu, Maag, Pianobea [and others] deserve much of the credit b/c they created a template for me to make these sheets to start with. Moreover I'd also created these sheets in a way that they won't be too confusing to learn, on top of printing out as little paper (with as much on each page) as possible, myself included.

BTW, I'm good a learning stuff by ear, but only half way [or 50%]. I tried transcribing this stuff as close to the Real McCoy as possible, adding a few of my own licks, b/c that's what creative artists do. This is something I'd always dreamed of doing & it allows me to get my creative juices flowing. Hard work, but I love it anyhow. ;D

On top of working on C'est La Vie I'm also doing San Francisco, correcting the mistakes in the other version(s), especially the official.

Peace & cheers. :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:50:55 pm by VanessaPiana »

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 09:36:16 am »
Here's "C'est La Vie".
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:29:36 pm by VanessaPiana »

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ta very much, I love C'est la Vie, I'm sure I'll love playing it too.

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
You're very welcome. ;D I'm working on San Francisco now. ;)

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
Thank you VanessaPiana! Your transcription of "Heroes & Thieves" is excellent, especially the bridge. :)
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
You're very welcome; I'm glad you enjoy the H&Ts arrangement. ;D There's a mistake that I'm gonna have to correct (when I get the chance) & I have a feature on my computer wherein I can delete the voice out (it's mainly for karaoke purposes, but it's useful for transcribing as well) so I can hear the notes better.

I haven't been up here for a while b/c I've had desktop PC problems (I'm gonna need a new one, a laptop specifically) b/f long. I'm also (still) working on Swindler, SF [I came to a standstill on this one] & Annie as well. I think I'm gonna go to Papa & HAWBTW, as well.

Here's another [by Alicia Keys]. I know [and respect] that some of you aren't a fan of hers [and I don't think I am anymore, either based on her personal life; I haven't looked at her the same since], but I just had to share some sheet music I had of hers. (Isn't it ironic that I thought that VC was gonna be the one to fail big time, but it turned out to be AK... the one I least expected the whole time.)

Anyway it's a '70s-inspired neo-soul/jazz/R&B song (12th track) from her 2nd/sophomore LP The Diary Of Alicia Keys (2003) played w/ [not necessarily the Fender Rhodes like VC did w/ her 2nd/sophomore (on 'C'est La Vie' as well] but some sort of electric piano that sounds similar. The sheet music arrangement was kinda messed up so I tried my own hand at correcting the mistakes in there.

Hope y'all like it. ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:39:20 pm by VanessaPiana »