Author Topic: My (Vanessa Carlton) Sheet Music Thread [NEW!!! "Ordinary Day {Alt. Version}"]  (Read 42917 times)

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My (Vanesa Carlton) Sheet Music Thread [NEW!!! "Private Radio" modified]
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 12:14:35 pm »
Great thanks, especially from those of us who sing dreadfully, and can only aspire to have V's voice.  ;D

VanessaPiana

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My (Vanesa Carlton) Sheet Music Thread [NEW!!! "Private Radio" modified]
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 02:56:01 pm »
Thanxs for commenting, AG.; good to see you again. :)

Here's 'Private Radio'. It actually didn't take very long to make this one... only mere days. :) It's also been modified [I've added my own take on it] for those of us who don't/can't sing so that it won't sound so boring as a piano solo. Enjoy. ;)

NOTE: See Page 5 for VC's 'P.R.'.
----------

For years I've doubted VC's singing voice, but listening closely for certain inflections, characteristics, etc., like her vibrato (especially hearing her live recordings, many that sound just as good or better than the studio recordings) I now know that she has the genuine ability to sing. But I'll have to admit that I'm disappointed that she doesn't showcase the (natural) beauty of her voice (mainly with her studio albums) as she did in times past, unfortunately. :-\

I've never learned how to play many of these songs I notate [I don't have a keyboard... I have to go across town to play piano, which I don't really do much of anymore], but I just know how to transcribe them by ear, being familiar w/ the tune and all after listening to her music for a long time.

I've also been blessed w/ being given a smartphone [with camera & audio recording features] so I can now film/record myself playing so I can post here online... whenever I find the chance to do so. Won't have to wait for/use a laptop to do so. :D

Currently working on 'Best Behavior' and plan on putting up yet another version of PR. Peace. ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:35:57 pm by VanessaPiana »

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: My (Vanesa Carlton) Sheet Music Thread [NEW!!! "Time Is On My Side"]
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 11:14:15 am »
Here's 'Time Is On My Side', a slightly modified version. Enjoy. ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:03:17 am by VanessaPiana »

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: My (Vanesa Carlton) Sheet Music Thread [NEW!!! "Best Behavior"]
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 05:51:02 pm »
The Wreckage (somewhat modified), Swindler [two versions] & Superhero (a slightly revised) will be up soon, so stay tuned/on the lookout for those. :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:52:36 pm by VanessaPiana »

Pushglow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 09:59:35 am »
Very nice work VanessaPiana. I'm far from my piano to test them, so I listen the midi files for now. Do you plan to do "Dear California" or "Hear the Bells"? It's not really a request, I just want to know if I should expect them :)

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: My (Vanesa Carlton) Sheet Music Thread [NEW!!! "She Floats"]
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »
Here's 'She Floats'. Enjoy. ;)

@Pushglow...

I'm not the best at transcribing stuff by ear, but I certainly do my best; there's only one I do from scratch ("Talk To Me", by Keri Noble b/c I love the song, especially the piano melody and percussion, etc.; the official sheet music version isn't available, so I have to do it that way). It's my biggest challenge yet (concerning sheet music), so it's on the back burner for now. But for the rest... I use other sheet music as a crutch, whether it's already been done by others (unofficially) or derived from the official (published) notations and add my own interpretation &/or correct the mistakes already there.

But I do have a couple of programs installed in my PC to help slow down the music so I can more carefully analyze what the notes & melody/harmony is. There was one that was the best (TwelveKeys by NCH), but unfortunately -- it must have been designed to pick up on our IP addresses or something -- I can't put the trial version (14 days, or 2 weeks) back in and use it again, like I can many other programs. I'll have to purchase it if I want the real thing (it's 27-30 dollars). I've tried other programs, but w/ not much luck. Now I currently use Transcribe!, SlowMP3 and PitchScope Player. No transcribing program is 100% -- our modern technology isn't THAT far along yet -- so ain't nothing like the musically-gifted ear.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:54:48 pm by VanessaPiana »

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 06:54:24 pm »
Here's 'Best Behavior'... the more accurate version. Enjoy. ;)

As for 'Dear California' & 'Hear the Bells'... yes, I can do those. But I've only listened to VC's latest record [ROTR] once, with the last track 'In The End' -- my favorite -- being most familiar. But I can familiarize myself with DC & HTB.

But it would really help if the official version(s) of these sheets -- along w/ 'Hands On Me' were posted here; I'm having trouble figuring out what the chords on that funny part just b/f the brief instrumental break in the middle, which is why I haven't posted it yet. I sometimes have trouble figuring out the chords, which are listed/posted above the progressions (it mainly pertains to guitars, but it's helped me out a lot on the parts where the actual notes aren't posted in the arrangement) on the official published notations.

I don't know if you're aware, but the official ROTR sheet music [whether online digital or just the entire book itself] is available, and has been for a while. So is Hands On Me & Nolita Fairytale, the only officially published sheets [I know of] that are for sale from the album 'Heroes & Thieves'.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:36:22 am by VanessaPiana »

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 02:03:00 am »
I never knew you could buy the official NF and HOM sheet music. Are they in a physical form, because I would love it if you could point me in the direction of where to find them. I would also greatly appreciate Hear the Bells if you do plan on doing it in the near future :)

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 08:34:28 am »
@AG:

Why, certainly you can purchase the aforementioned. ;) That probably explains why the official versions of these sheets haven't been posted... it's most likely b/c no one (around these parts) really knows they're available. Now I know why they weren't up here... at least not yet. I can't post them b/c I don't have an image scanner/copier, let alone a printer. I'll have to go across town (to the local college/university library) to print out things, especially sheet music from the Internet -- which I have to pay for -- until I get a printer of my own. As for the scanner (it's by Apple or something)... forget it, it's only for faculty/staff/student body, unfortunately. ::)

Anyhow, the official sheets of NF & HOM (in addition to the music book for the entire ROTR album) are available anywhere (official) sheet music books are available, like Musicnotes, SheetMusicPlus, Hal/Leonard (the publisher for VC's sheet music), Banes & Noble, etc. MusicNotes.com even lets you sample (the first page) of the sheet music to see how it sounds. You have the choice of either ordering the digital version (and have it right away on your computer) or buying the actual book(s), which one will most likely have to deal with the shipping & handling charges, on top of having to wait for your merchandise.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:41:44 am by VanessaPiana »

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 08:50:13 am »
I also wanna add that there's this (cute little) program/software [EveryonePiano] that I've discovered -- after testing and weeding out other lesser programs/software pertaining to pianos -- that's an 88-key piano/keyboard. It's not as user-friendly as I'd hoped, but it's useful in helping me out in testing notes in the transcribing/notation process. There's even a staff off to the side that tells you exactly where the notes are located. On top of that you can change/adjust the key to your liking [like to C Minor or F Major]. There's even some choices of these beautiful skins to go along with it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:07:08 am by VanessaPiana »

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 11:45:58 am »
Hi!

I read your difficulty in identifying the chord progressions of the songs. I've been a transcriber from scratch, and I just began three years ago or so. It really takes practice, trust me. The key is to familiarize yourself with the pitches. You really have to train your ears so that you can get the notes right. I noticed some discrepancies in your sheets and the songs themselves but I think you can easily correct them later on. ;) Just immerse yourself into the piano and soon, you will have really sharp ears. :D

And oh, for the chord progression, in the sheet musics from the archive I created, you can simply get the chords by observing the pattern of the left hand. It's pretty much V's style: the main chord in the left hand, the melody/magic stuff in the right. They're quite simple, actually, but magical nevertheless.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 09:38:17 am »
Hello. Long time, no see. :D

I have to constantly revise the sheets b/c I look back on them & see a few mistakes within them. I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to these things, and it's a work in progress. Unfortunately w/ the transcribing programs as you slow down (the songs) the quality is diminished a bit (why, I don't know; the software developers in these programs need to improve on this feature a bit). And yes indeed-y, I do need practice in the transcribing dept. b/c I've just gotten into this occupation in recent months, so I'm just getting warmed up. :)

And oh, for the chord progression, in the sheet musics from the archive I created, you can simply get the chords by observing the pattern of the left hand. It's pretty much V's style: the main chord in the left hand, the melody/magic stuff in the right. They're quite simple, actually, but magical nevertheless.

I read your difficulty in identifying the chord progressions of the songs. I've been a transcriber from scratch, and I just began three years ago or so. It really takes practice, trust me. The key is to familiarize yourself with the pitches. Just immerse yourself into the piano and soon, you will have really sharp ears. :D

The left hand is my main priority, b/c I can hear the R.H. better, but the L.H. is sometimes more difficult to configure, or vice/versa. Unfortunately chord progressions still aren't my forté, so I have a hard time figuring out the notes at times. I also take pride in improvisation when doing VC's stuff (so forgive me if there's some things off), b/c the key is -- when covering other artists' work -- is not only piggybacking off of them & taking inspiration from them, but making the work your own by adding your own touches, especially ones that you know would make the artists themselves proud &/or do them justice. ;)

When testing what the pitch is I either use the aforementioned virtual/PC keyboard &/or hum aloud (but try not to do it loud enough for others around to hear me, lest they think I'm strange for doing it). VC's chord progression in many of her songs are simple, but I'm also (when I'm finished w/ her) planning on doing it for other musicians, whose techniques are more complex, like Hanson, who are my favorite band.

Taylor Hanson (he's the main pianist for the group) does more Rock, Honky-Tonky, Bluesy, Gospel-like style, which sometimes has a classical influence to it [although he's classically-trained]. I'm no expert in this area, but I know that the (piano) chord progressions, notes and playing techniques are more bizarre in these genres of music.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:31:51 am by VanessaPiana »

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:25 am »
Here's a chord chart I've downloaded from the 'Net; it doesn't have as many chords as I've expected, but it's a start for beginners (in the chord progression department, like myself) and anyone else who wants to get started. :) There's more, but I'll have to post them later on.

"Pretty Baby" -- the original album version -- should be up soon, but I'm still trying to figure out some of the chords in the bridge area. If there's mistakes in it I'll have to get back to correcting them later on. I also plan on doing the radio version next, too. Working on Für Elise (my take on it) by Beethoven and it will be posted soon, too [for those of you who are interested in the classical stuff and want to improve your skills in that area... like me].
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:46:34 am by VanessaPiana »

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 06:39:35 am »
Hey, I didn't mean it like that!  :D I hope you're not offended. It's just one thing that I've noticed when I downloaded the .midi file for Best Behaviour: the first chord in the chorus sounds happier (probably because it is a major chord? I haven't checked the sheets yet) that it should be.

Use headphones to people won't look at you weirdly, lol. Trust me, I've been there and the headphones is the best solution.

And yes, I hear you: transcribing is also about adding your personal touches to the song. :)

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 09:42:46 am »
It's okay, S; many times things get misconstrued vis-à-vis the Internet, & I know you didn't mean any harm. :D So don't worry, no hard feelings; ain't nothin' wrong w/ constructive criticism every now & then. It's helpful for improvement. :-*

I would also like to add that putting our own creative fingerprints into others' -- including VC's -- work is in our favor [and best interest(s)], as to prevent us from being sued for plagiarism, Lol. ;)

W/ BB... well -- even when I first heard it years ago -- I always thought that it always revolved around D Major chord... or perhaps even B Minor if it's supposed to sound melancholy (although the song itself is generally in A Major... or perhaps F# Minor if it's not as lively-sounding to others). I don't know if it's different tastes (concerning tone), or if it's VC's vocal (whether it's her notes or timbre... whatever that term means) that intermingle with her piano melody/harmony. I hope you can shed some light on & break down what timbre means b/c I went to Wiki & didn't really get it. :-\

Although the quality of the live concert recording is pretty good the notes are a bit muddled & echo-y, so it's kind of hard (in some parts) to get enough clarity to interpret the notes. Perhaps it's the piano's microphone in addition to the arena or auditorium. For that reason I recently stumbled (by accident) upon a program -- MP3 Downloader -- wherein I can find & download other live versions of these songs, hoping that they're clearer (haven't played them yet, but will get around to it).

As for humming... I do use headphones, b/c my monitor's (I have a desktop PC) speaker doesn't sound that good, nor are they loud enough. I actually meant that I use my vocal chords to hum in order to test out the melody. Hope that cleared things up.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:01:23 am by VanessaPiana »