Author Topic: Read Vanessa is recording a new album in the fall  (Read 18954 times)

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
  • Perfect hair, perfect heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Read Vanessa is recording a new album in the fall
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 06:30:41 am »
So she said this about the new album at a show the other day :
“We’re going to do something sort of like a, it’s really an electronic dance-pop record, It’s going to be different. I think it’s oddly a natural progression from ‘Rabbits.’ I don’t really know how I can explain that in a way that makes sense, but once I think we start making the tracks, it will make sense. I’m really, really excited."

Sounds very interesting...

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 06:33:06 am »
So she said this about the new album at a show the other day :
“We’re going to do something sort of like a, it’s really an electronic dance-pop record, It’s going to be different. I think it’s oddly a natural progression from ‘Rabbits.’ I don’t really know how I can explain that in a way that makes sense, but once I think we start making the tracks, it will make sense. I’m really, really excited."

Sounds very interesting...

omg, YES!!!! we're going to get the electronic album!!!! we'll finally get to hear Moneymaker, unless of course she drops it from the album.
I'm just really excited to hear how this will all sound.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 06:38:02 am »
Hmm...I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm sure V will add her magic to it whatever the case.

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 06:40:25 am »
Oh and the article said this too -
She said inspiration for her upcoming album comes both from listening to her college-aged brother’s trippy, euphoric music and reading classical mythology.

“I’m very inspired by Shamanism and right now, I’m kind of revisiting a lot of old mythological tales and kind of psychedelic poetry,” Carlton said.
from here: http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/scene/vanessa-carlton-performs-at-legends-1.2863961#.T56e_fXEnRV

Very exciting! I'm just so glad she seems so happy recently and wants to make more albums. Electronic music isn't hugely my thing but there is some great stuff. I do have faith in her that she can try her hand at different genres and experiment, and it will still be amazing.

HearMyBells

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • So you can put your weapons down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 06:57:28 am »
I could not be more excited... My two worlds of music are merging!

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 07:00:39 am »
We’re going to do something sort of like a, it’s really an electronic dance-pop record

Although I enjoy electronic music, I'm not sure how it can merge with Vanessa's music. I'm not sure if I'm excited or worried about this one.  :-\
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 07:05:16 am »
Awsome! I think an electronic sound will suit her very well. I really hope for a Miike Snow vibe for the new album!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:07:11 am by Harmonium »

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 07:15:14 am »
I can see why some people might be worried. The term "dance-pop" brings to my mind a lot of the poor music saturating the charts over the past few years, but I'm pretty sure this isn't what V means. I'm confident this isn't a bid for commercial success, she has made it clear in the past that's not for her. Besides by the time this record comes out that trend in popular music may be dying out. Electronic music is a very sparse genre, and i'm sure she will be able to succefully marry elements from that with her own VC sound. She said it's a natural progression from rabbits, and at the end of the day, it's gonna be Vanessa songwriting. I'm imagining more dreamy synths rather than heavy dance beats.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:36:19 am by TRINIST »

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 08:35:49 am »
Awsome! I think an electronic sound will suit her very well. I really hope for a Miike Snow vibe for the new album!

This is what I'm thinking too! So excited for this!!

Rabbits_on_the_run

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:24 am »
I have to admit I'm a bit scared... I loved KT Tunstall's music until her electronic album that I really don't like. I'm not an electronic nor dance fan, let's wait and see ;) I LOVE everything Vanessa's done so far so I was kind of expecting that one day she'll do a record I MIGHT like a little less! Still excited.

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
@ Trinst
I'm imagining more dreamy synths rather than heavy dance beats.

That's what I'm hoping too, a kind of Patience/ Youth Lagoon approach. I actually doubt that Vanessa will go for really heavy beats, she's very much intune with instrumentals, rather than overwhelming percussion, as Rabbits showed us. But then again..she is known to surprise...

jesse3243m

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 12:51:21 pm »
I have a good feeling that this new album will be somewhat "Chillwave" like Washed Out and Teen Daze  :) :)!! Im Really excited that it might be like those artist because she did tweet some youtube vids of thier amazing work! Maybe she got influenced by them?! Idk..  :-\  It would be amazing to see this tho! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etGJUeYtdxE
"like a paper cut to the heart"

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 01:38:46 pm »
she tweeted about washed out, blouse, junip, mansions on the moon, youth lagoon, caveman... it will obviously sound something like that (instead of rihanna, nicki minaj, britney... if that's what you're thinking because of the term "dance-pop")

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 02:01:20 pm »
i'm thinking more along the lines of dia frampton dance pop than lady gaga dance pop. check out dia frampton's red (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Red/7316280) for what i mean. and i think vanessa's album would be much more dreamy and serious. or bizarre. haha.

i guess my worry comes from a concern about how vanessa's killer melodic sensibility would fit in an electronic genre. vanessa is a unique pop artist in the way she churns out these incredibly memorable melody lines that are a few bars long but really characterize the majority of her music. the example the world knows is the "a thousand miles" piano line of course, but you know what song it is the second "white houses", "twilight", "carousel", "heroes & thieves", "fools like me," "more than this"... so much of her catalog... the moment it starts playing.

also, the piano. pleeeeeease keep the piano.  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:04:39 pm by fish_for__stars »
formerly fish_for__stars.

HearMyBells

• So you can put your weapons down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »
The fact that she said dance pop over "electronic" caught me by surprise. I don't know if Washed Out is something I would dance too. Moneymaker sounds like it would be more upbeat that whimsical. I guess we will have to see : )