Author Topic: Liberman  (Read 215851 times)

coldyoungheart

• Make me high on lullabies
  • hear the bells;
    • View Profile
Re: Liberman
« Reply #330 on: August 18, 2015, 10:15:36 am »

And I was wondering coldyoungheart, are we sure to hear a "living room" version of Take It Easy ? I thought this session had just been recorded for the EP.

yes! she said somewhere else she recorded the whole album live and stripped down for the deluxe version.

Yep! She's confirmed it a couple times at least.

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 18, 2015, 10:18:33 am »

"If I do another album" she says. I hope so !! She wants to see me die otherwise ! ;)

I caught that too! God I hope she decides to do another album! Like Liberman hasn't even been released and I'm already looking forward to it lol.

private-radio

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 18, 2015, 01:45:35 pm »
I completely agree !

Personally I had not noticed TIE and O were so similar. I have never liked Take It Easy anyway. But Operator makes me feel so good.

I am looking forward to listening to the album.

Nothing Where Something used to be is also a very good song. My favorite one of the EP so far.

I am waiting for House Of Seven Swords, Unlock The Lock, Willows and River above all.

We are not sure about the tracklist. I hope there would be more new songs. I don't like A Matter Of Time come to that.

But what worries me is how the voice is dealt on the disc. I really hate her voice on Young Heart and Blue Pool whereas the songs could have been absolutely perfect.  

We will see.

But anyway I am still in love of her music. I really like how she has evolved since ATM.

I personally dislike her take on guitar driven songs (Dear California is an exception though). Like what you mentioned, A Matter of Time and Young Heart... gag. It's inspired because of John but like I said before I have nothing against the guy BUT Vanessa radiates on her piano driven songs. That's why we became fans in the first place. So it's just awry to me that she's trying new things and venturing other paths. Stick to what you know V. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It is not new and not only due to John to me.
I have never liked for example Get Good whereas I am in love with the omnichord live version ! The problem is clearly the guitar in the studio version.

But I must confess I am not really objective when it comes to Vanessa's piano.
As you said we became fan of Vanessa AND her piano and finally at the same time.
I have the feeling she betrays her art when she gives up on her piano. 

By the way I really hope she will try new things on the piano. She has not  done her best in this area since Rabbits.
She used to be a classical pianist and can play rock, pop and even jazz. She is not ambitious enough although she is obviously gifted enough. Pity !

I think it is great she tries new sounds. She is very innovative and that is good but with her piano it is better.
We should go, go...

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: August 18, 2015, 03:38:24 pm »
I completely agree !

Personally I had not noticed TIE and O were so similar. I have never liked Take It Easy anyway. But Operator makes me feel so good.

Nothing Where Something used to be is also a very good song. My favorite one of the EP so far.

I am waiting for House Of Seven Swords, Unlock The Lock, Willows and River above all.

We are not sure about the tracklist. I hope there would be more new songs. I don't like A Matter Of Time come to that.

But what worries me is how the voice is dealt on the disc. I really hate her voice on Young Heart and Blue Pool whereas the songs could have been absolutely perfect.  

We will see.

But anyway I am still in love of her music. I really like how she has evolved since ATM.

I personally dislike her take on guitar driven songs (Dear California is an exception though). Like what you mentioned, A Matter of Time and Young Heart... gag. It's inspired because of John but like I said before I have nothing against the guy BUT Vanessa radiates on her piano driven songs. That's why we became fans in the first place. So it's just awry to me that she's trying new things and venturing other paths. Stick to what you know V. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have never liked for example Get Good whereas I am in love with the omnichord live version ! The problem is clearly the guitar in the studio version.

As you said we became fan of Vanessa AND her piano and finally at the same time.

By the way I really hope she will try new things on the piano. She has not  done her best in this area since Rabbits.
She used to be a classical pianist and can play rock, pop and even jazz. She is not ambitious enough although she is obviously gifted enough. Pity !

I think it is great she tries new sounds. She is very innovative and that is good but with her piano it is better.

I agree.. rabbits began her departure or addition of guitar driving songs rather than piano, not just because of John.. I think that we are influenced by those around us when we are working on a project.  I mean, listen to harmonium.. that album has Stephen Jenkins written alllllll over it.  the drums arrangements are similar to 3eb songs.  I think she had a very specific sound in mind for another album back when she was touring for rabbits and pre-john.  she did HTB with steve Osborne and knew she wanted to create more with him, which she did.  she also tweeted a lot of music she was listening to back then and it also is very reflective of the electronic sound and reverb that she's doing.  so to point a finger to him for this change is unfair to him, but also unfair to vanessa.  she is a 35 year old woman.  she has a mind of her own and will do her own thing.  she no longer bows down to record companies OR men OR women who try to tame her!
I personally like the echoy vocals because it accomplishes exactly. what. she. wanted. to. accomplish.  a dreamy vibe that takes you out of your physical body and into an otherworldly realm where you can just explore and be trippy for a bit.  sink into the songs and just let her voice and the reverb take you away!  I am super excited for the vinyl of this because I can just imagine lighting some candles, incesnse, turning off the lights and just letting her take me away to that place of Technicolor dreams.

I too agree that take it easy live sounds like stars.. I totally get it. good analogy.  that song has never been one of my favorites because of that little gadget she uses live.  I like how in the studio version it gets lost in the guitar reverb, but still pokes through every once in a while, kind of like a cloudy nigh, when the stars play beak a poo with the clouds
~Sara~

fantastical

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 19, 2015, 02:08:40 am »

I fully concur with everything you said. But I do have to add that I know very well that guitar driven songs aren't new endeavors of hers. I did say that Dear California is an exception but I didn't mention Get Good for a reason and that's because I don't like the guitar at all and the song in general never resonated with me. I do truly believe that John has influenced her work progress on this album in a way. I'm just not looking forward to A Matter of Time and possible other songs where her excellent piano skills take a backseat for more guitar driven ones. She and piano are intertwined and she mustn't stray too far from it.

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 19, 2015, 09:05:14 am »
"If I do another album" she says. I hope so !! She wants to see me die otherwise ! ;)

Goodness, I almost screamed at my phone (or PC? Can't remember!) when I read this part! I sincerely hope this will not be the last album ever from Vanessa. It would just be too sad...  :'( :'( :'(
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Rabbits_on_the_run

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 19, 2015, 12:31:28 pm »
Guys, don't worry! I remember Vanessa saying this after Rabbits too. Plus, she still loves creating music and is already writing new songs. I don't see a single reason why she'd give up the 'best job in the world'.  ;)

MrMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 19, 2015, 05:18:23 pm »
i guess i'm the only person here that likes the guitar driven material just as much?? for me it adds a new and interesting dynamic.

personally i love get good and the live version of a matter of time. the guitar for get good sounds like a pretty dusty field and an abstract painting to me; and there is piano in it, it's just buried under the guitar.

me and my friend realized that young heart would've really taken off if they had recorded drums to it. my friend played along to it and it took on a whole new life.

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #338 on: August 19, 2015, 11:43:44 pm »
Two new vids up on People!
http://www.people.com/people/videos/0,,20946254,00.html

Also,
she is a 35 year old woman.  she has a mind of her own and will do her own thing.  she no longer bows down to record companies OR men OR women who try to tame her!

So much this! I'm sure she's inspired by John, but to say anything on her record was someone else's doing at this point is unfair. It's weird, I remember not really feeling Get Good that much when she first debuted it on tour because there was no piano and now I'm obsessed with it. Listening to it literally feels like wrapping a blanket around yourself. Matter of Time is probably my least favorite of the new songs so I'm hoping the same thing happens when the studio version comes out. 

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 20, 2015, 04:53:39 am »
I completely agree !

We will see.

Haha. This reminds me of how scandalized some people felt when "Nolita Fairytale" came out and started not with a piano, but with percussion! Such a departure!  :o

I'm at peace with the fact that Vanessa has entered a new era with her music. I don't think she'll ever return to the kinds of mainstream productions we were used to hearing from her before ROTR. I'll always kind of miss that (I mean, can you imagine "Bride" or "Fairweather Friend" with a "Heroes and Thieves"-style production? Unf.) but the new music is so lovely that I don't mind. At its core, I think the music is still largely the same: mostly piano-driven, thoughtful lyrics, catchy melody, and of course Vanessa's pretty voice.
Check out my newest piano instrumentals, "Willows" and "Blue Pool"!

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 20, 2015, 04:57:32 am »
i guess i'm the only person here that likes the guitar driven material just as much?? for me it adds a new and interesting dynamic.

personally i love get good and the live version of a matter of time. the guitar for get good sounds like a pretty dusty field and an abstract painting to me; and there is piano in it, it's just buried under the guitar.

me and my friend realized that young heart would've really taken off if they had recorded drums to it. my friend played along to it and it took on a whole new life.

You're certainly not alone. I LOVE "Get Good." It's one of my favorite songs on ROTR, and that's saying something since there are a lot of great songs on that album. It's a song I've really connected with. In fact, I think I'll listen to it right now  8)

And I agree about Young Heart. I rather like that song, too, though I'd love to hear it with a fuller production.
Check out my newest piano instrumentals, "Willows" and "Blue Pool"!

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: August 20, 2015, 09:31:41 am »

I like it .. so far.  I actually haven't listened to matter of time yet, since I haven't heard it live and i'm trying to avoid listening to the music (unless officially release, because of course I have the EP).  I also like it as long as the bulk of her stuff it still piano!  if there was an entire album of NO piano and all guitar, then, well, we'd have a problem.  hehe
~Sara~

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 20, 2015, 07:31:15 pm »
I freaking adore Get Good! I could listen to that song 100 times on a loop. The studio version as well as the live one.

I have to say that I'm not the biggest fan of A Matter of Time, but I'm excited to see what they've done with it in the studio :)

MrMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 20, 2015, 08:51:25 pm »
also i love the dynamic she's got with skye, but it'd be cool to add a minimalist drummer doing some minor percussion work live.

Rabbits_on_the_run

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2015, 10:09:35 am »
A Matter of time is one of my favourites this far!! And I also love Get Good and Dear California. I love Vanessa no matter what she does. I completely trust her vision. The lack of piano doesn't bother me at all, even though her piano riffs are incredible. I have to say though, that I sometimes miss the 'clarity' of her vocals the way it was pre-Rabbits (although this is probably my favorite record of hers).