Author Topic: Liberman  (Read 215732 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Liberman
« Reply #435 on: September 14, 2015, 05:51:13 pm »
woohoo! got the download links!!!

Me too! NWSUTB is just  :o

I like the "far away" part! not excited about the chorus but tis okay. I can't wait to play this album on vinyl, it will be epic
~Sara~

Rick

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • building up falling apart—
    • AOL Instant Messenger - j3llyb0nes
    • View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #436 on: September 25, 2015, 09:33:52 am »
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/operator-single/id1040306358

Operator - Single just released to iTunes :)

Alex0821

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 25, 2015, 09:43:10 am »
Wow! I was not expecting that. I love these surprises!

I'm so glad that's the single though. It's quite good!
Check out my newest piano instrumentals, "Willows" and "Blue Pool"!

Pushglow

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 26, 2015, 04:36:19 am »
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/operator-single/id1040306358

Operator - Single just released to iTunes :)

Nice pick for the single (unlike Carousel)! I don't know why but for Operator, I wish she would make another White House music video with ballet dancing or like the more recently Coeur de Pirate's Oublie-Moi.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:38:02 am by Pushglow »

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 26, 2015, 12:06:42 pm »
You didn't like Carousel? It was a perfect single.  I felt like it was when she officially crossed over to her now-sound.  I don't think any other song on the album could have made for a better single..but that's just me.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Rabbits_on_the_run

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 26, 2015, 12:36:11 pm »
You didn't like Carousel? It was a perfect single.  I felt like it was when she officially crossed over to her now-sound.  I don't think any other song on the album could have made for a better single..but that's just me.
I totally agree with you. Perfect song. Perfect single.

Pushglow

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2015, 01:32:04 pm »
Yeah I don't know... In my opinion, Tall Tales or Dear California would have been better, they are more radio-friendly than Carourel.

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 26, 2015, 06:57:25 pm »
I totally agree with you. Perfect song. Perfect single.

Definitely agree that Carousel was the perfect single! It was such a brilliant intro into the new era and her new sound. And without it I probably would have never discovered Vanessa's music! Carousel definitely has a very special place in my heart.

Dear California would have been amazing as a single though! Totally agree.

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 27, 2015, 06:27:51 am »
I loved ROTR but personally don't think any of the songs would have been that successful as singles. Of course, it depends on how we define success! But in terms of radio play, the production of the songs just didn't fit with the popular music at the time. In 2011 people were more interested in upbeat dance-pop like Katy Perry's "Firework," P!nk's "Raise Your Glass," and Lady Gaga's "Born This Way." If the album had been released a few years later, "Bride" or "Dear California" might have found a home on the radio next to Lorde's "Team," Christina Aguilera's "Say Something," and similar toned-down songs.

I'll be really interested to see how "Operator" does if that's the official single and gets sent to radio and a good MV. I don't follow American music that much anymore so I can't even guess. Hopefully she'll get on some late-night shows like she did during ROTR.

afterglow987

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: September 28, 2015, 03:58:13 pm »

Me too! NWSUTB is just  :o

I like the "far away" part! not excited about the chorus but tis okay. I can't wait to play this album on vinyl, it will be epic

It would be fun to hear the fans in the audience sing the "away" part when Vanessa sings NWSUTB in her concerts. Kinda like when they would do the clapping for carousel.  

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 28, 2015, 06:23:07 pm »

Me too! NWSUTB is just  :o

It would be fun to hear the fans in the audience sing the "away" part when Vanessa sings NWSUTB in her concerts. Kinda like when they would do the clapping for carousel.  

I just listened to it for the first time. The "far away" part sounded like what I figured it would based on the posts here, haha.

I don't really like the studio version, to be honest. The living room session is just soooo simple and pretty. I got too used to it haha. The instrumental is really cool towards the end though. I like the loud strums.

lavender skies

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 28, 2015, 06:56:22 pm »
I don't really like it either and I'm not super excited for the album since she's released so many of the songs. Can't wait to see her live, but I think my excitement for new albums died with Heroes and Thieves.

fantastical

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 29, 2015, 04:41:37 am »
The studio version of Nothing Where Something Used To Be is such a disappointment. She rushes through it. And what is it with the lack of piano? The emotional impact of "do it, do it" is also completely lost. Thank god we have the living room version. It's so soothing and doesn't sound live it all.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:01:17 am by fantastical »

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 29, 2015, 03:24:08 pm »
Yeah I'm really glad we have the living room session of NWSUTB. It's probably my favorite thing on the album so far. So so good. The studio version is growing on my now, though. The outro kinda sounds to me like Animal Collective's "Winter Love" or something.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 30, 2015, 06:35:33 pm »
I personally like the studio version of NWSUTB because of the sheer fact that it is different from the living room sessions. I think it is very reflective to V's vision of the record--how it is a dreamy and dance-y music on one side and emotional on the other. Whereas the living room session version was about vulnerability, the studio version gives the impression of  a seance-y meditation on heartbreak. I also like the layering of echoes in this version because it does take me into that seemingly out-of-the-body experience she aims to achieve.

Did anyone also got the impression that ironically, the studio version sounds sadder as opposed to the living room sessions version which sounds more hopeful because of the bright piano notes? I'm getting this feeling that there's an actual change in the chords between the live and the studio versions.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.