Author Topic: Australian Singer/songwriters  (Read 39383 times)

Tia

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - littlemisscheekylives@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.graphic-interlude.com
    • Email
Australian Singer/songwriters
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2004, 05:29:24 am »
Awesome new sig and av Katie :)
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2004, 03:51:26 am »
Thanks Tia <3
I made a new one though, who knows how long this one will last haha.
 :D  <3

I just went to Missy's website and the new song is up for everyone to preview. It is called Don't Ever and its pretty nice.

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2004, 04:15:30 pm »
Quote from: "aleera84"
I made a new one though, who knows how long this one will last haha.

I just went to Missy's website and the new song is up for everyone to preview. It is called Don't Ever and its pretty nice.

:roll: Loving your latest color version Katie! That orange is a nice touch :wink:

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2004, 06:50:23 am »
Here is an interview with Missy Higgins  :D

Who are your 3-5 favourite Australian artists?
The Waifs
Lisa Miller
Paul Kelly
Frente

What are your 3-5 most played Australian releases? Why?
I listen to community radio like PBS and RRR most of the time to tell you the truth, I don’t really listen to albums much, I like to listen to new stuff constantly.

Recently I had the Lisa Miller Car Tape album on in my car though and I thought it was beautiful, I had the first song on repeat until I got whacked by my passenger. And since I finished the Waifs tour I’ve missed hearing them every night so I’ve been listening to all their albums constantly. Their music makes me feel happy. I just heard the Black Eyed Susan’s latest album, which I really liked, it went lots of different colourful places and that guy’s voice is sexy.

What do you think is the most influential Australian music release and why?
I think Paul Kelly (especially the album Post) has influenced so many Australian artists, I guess because of the simplicity of his lyrics and melody lines which makes it more accessible. But he has never been afraid to sound Australian with his accent and lyrics, which is what we need more of, I think. Artists who don’t try to be anyone that they’re not, because it always shows through.

Which Australian performer (past or present) would you most like to work with?
Probably Daniel Jones because I think he’s a great song writer, but then again anyone I admire I’d probably be too intimidated to work with. Sad isn’t it.

Describe your most memorable Australian music moment?
Going to East Timor With Paul Dempsey (Something for kate), Groove Terminator and Killing Heidi to play for the troops. I hadn’t played many gigs so it was my first real tour, if that’s what you’d call it. But we all became such great friends and it was such a mind-opening experience.

The East Timorese people are so beautiful and positive which is amazing and inspirational to see and be amongst considering what they’ve all been through. I also have a lot of respect for the troops that were stationed there, they were all so bored but so unconditionally dedicated at the same time.

What are your three favourite music websites?
Um, I don’t really know many. I like www.allmusic.com as it has heaps of info about almost anyone. www.Labeloflove.com has some great local (Melbourne) bands on it.

What, where and when was the first local gig you attended?
My brother’s old jazz band Smirkin used to play in clubs around Melbourne and I used to try and get in to see them all the time. My sister used to do my makeup but I think my chubby cheeks were always a giveaway to the bouncers.

Can you tell a story behind your latest release?
I wrote the single Greed for your love while I was backpacking around Europe with my friend. I’m not used to writing on guitar and I couldn’t take my piano with me so it took ages, about four countries I think! My friend was so sick of the song by the time I’d finished it in Cinque Terre, Italy. Then the next day I left my guitar on the train on the way to Spain. I miss that guitar, it was my first and it was called Ranger.

What is the most important issue facing Australian music?
I think the thing this country’s scene has always done best is to nurture unique and original artists. It seems like there is a greater tendency these days towards manufacturing really poppy artists who sound like overseas pop acts. I think the Oz music scene should be focusing on getting fresh, innovative artists out there, and that’s how we’ll make our mark.

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com/dombo/2004/08/missy_higgins_1.html <- here is another interview with Missy where you can actually download the MP3 and listen to the interview with little previews of some of her songs  8)  interesting. DOWNLOAD THIS
As the new Spiderbait's new song sings- "ITS F'CKEN AWESOME"

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2004, 07:25:29 am »
Quote from: "aleera84"
I think the Oz music scene should be focusing on getting fresh, innovative artists out there, and that’s how we’ll make our mark.

Enter Exhibit A

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2004, 07:35:35 am »
The DJ @ the wedding reception tonite played Big Yellow Taxi so I asked 4
ATM and he played it! The Aussie highlight was Pete Murray's So Beautiful!

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2004, 06:00:13 am »
Laura Imbruglia and the Crybabys

For emerging musicians, it doesn't get much grittier than the weekly Wednesday night acoustic sessions at Glebe's Excelsior Hotel. The acts set up on a small piece of carpet next to the ladies toilet, between the restaurant and the pokie room.

Entry is free, the singers are often paid in complimentary drinks and a small PA and guitar amplifiers help keep the music's volume above that of the audience's chattering.

A strange venue, then, for a woman with a famous name to make her first tentative steps from the long shadow cast by her pop-star sister. But for Laura Imbruglia, 19-year-old sister of chart-topping Natalie, at least it was a gig.

Dressed down in a black Partridge Family T-shirt and old denim jeans and sneakers, Imbruglia performed a raw, feisty, humorous set of original songs that, at times, would've made a nun - let alone Natalie - blush.

Imbruglia, looking strikingly like her big sister, was a support act for local performer Melanie Horsnell.

In front of a receptive crowd of about 40, Imbruglia appeared nervous as she cradled an acoustic guitar and introduced her performance: "Hi, I'm Laura. These are some silly songs, feel free to laugh. If you don't, it doesn't matter."

Her folk-influenced tunes, not at all like her sister's polished pop, bore titles such as Head Shrink, If I Recall, Mr Clown and I'm Not. The latter's curious lyrics, delivered with gusto, included: "Why does everyone think I'm gay?/It wouldn't be a problem if I was/But I'm not/To all the girls/Please don't come on to me/I'm paranoid/It freaks me out/Now I'm feeling Ricky Martin's pain/They think I'm gay/But I'm not gay."

Afterwards Imbruglia spoke briefly to The Sun-Herald but declined to be interviewed. She said she was uncomfortable about being photographed during her performance and wanted to know how the paper knew about her appearance at the pub.

A source close to Imbruglia said the singer, who has done few live performances, had been hurt by an experience with another newspaper.

"It's too early in her development," the source said. "She is a shy person and not comfortable doing interviews. She needs a lot of work and we really don't want too much fuss."
The Sun-Herald
April 7 2002  :o  

"It Makes A Crunchy Noise" will
be released September 8th :D

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Aussie talent brought to light via Sony's Michael Taylor :-)
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2004, 07:15:04 pm »
Chloë

Stars

'Stars' is the debut single for new Australian singer/songwriter Chloe, who has created a genre-bending soundscape of lush beats, pop, folk, soul & rock on her debut album 'Beyond Coming', due out early next year.

Having spent the last few years writing, recording, performing in the US and beyond, Chloe's earthy and worldly sounds, inspired by everyone from Sting to Erykah Badu, have won her a devoted following on the live circuit, that's set to expand even further with her debut recordings.

Written by Chloe in conjunction with Path Productions and produced by the legendary Paul Fox (XTC's Oranges and Lemons', Sugarcubes' 'Stick Around for Joy' and 10,000 Maniac's 'Our Time in Eden'), 'Stars' is a shimmering, uplifting hook-laden pop ballad about realising your own potential and finding your inner star!

"Stars is about making your dreams a reality, going beyond your boundaries, and not letting anything stand in your way. It's a song about friendship, empowerment, possibilities and determination."

The single includes the radio edit of 'Stars' plus the Buchman mix and an acoustic version of the track.

www.chloe.net.au  :P

Chloë - Beyond Coming

1. Stars
2. Not Falling Down
3. Things We Do
4. Wild Child
5. Take A Stand
6. Run
7. Blind Man
8. White Bird
9. Calling Out
10. Not For You

Kiya

• Make me high on lullabies
    • ICQ Messenger - 54967622
    • MSN Messenger - nakiyam@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kiyaak6
    • View Profile
    • http://preciousandfew.blogdrive.com/
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2004, 08:36:00 am »
Have you guys heard of ZINC?

They are awesome! I am on their street team, handing out stickers, putting up posters, voting for them on radio etc all that stuff.

Been to three of their gigs in the past few weeks, got to meet and hang out with them, They're pretty awesome guys!

They have released The Morning After and Help me Help myself comes out at the end of the month, the album is due out in January.

But yeah if you dont know them check them out www.zinctheband.com

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2005, 06:10:20 am »

21 would be my choice of CD for anyone OS with an interest in Aus talent :P

Afterglow

• **BANNED**
    • MSN Messenger - white_houses@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - XxSaturdaysxX
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Mcaofera_wunderschon
    • View Profile
    • http://www.harmonium.rg3.net
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2005, 05:25:44 am »
Natalie Imbruglia, Missy Higgins, Delta Goodrem, Laura Imbruglia are the best Australian singes... heheh

............ Vou para Europa descobrir alguns segredos da Vida ............

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2005, 05:45:46 am »
The Veronicas

Dynamic duo Lisa (left) and Jess Origlasso :thumbsup:

POP twins The Veronicas have burst out of bedroom obscurity to become the next big thing on the international pop scene.
Back from their Los Angeles base to launch their debut single, Jess and Lisa Origlasso, both 20, have found instant fans whenever they set foot out of their Sydney hotel this week.

Their single 4ever has been inescapable on the airwaves and on TV.

Their relentless schedule has paid off with the girls' natural charm and edgy pop sound attracting a constant stream of wellwishers.

"It's surreal," Lisa said.

"It's the thing you dream about when you're 16 and writing songs in your bedroom but you are never prepared for it to become a reality."

Advertisement:
The twins, from Brisbane, scored a multi-million-dollar recording deal with American label Sire late last year, the biggest contract for an unknown act ever signed in the US.

The single hits US radio next week.

Sire is helmed by legendary US music mogul Syemour Stein, who signed Madonna, the Ramones, Talking Heads, Lou Reed, The Pretenders, The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine and k.d. lang.

Discovered by Australian producer Andrew Klippel, who has brokered international recording deals for The Vines and Holly Valance, The Veronicas have also impressed some of the world's biggest hitmakers.

"I think people like the vibe of what we are doing -that it's fun, upbeat and a bit edgy," Lisa said.

Jess added: "And the fact we are writing our own songs. We've been relieved that not too many people have tried to accuse us of being a manufactured pop act."
news.com.au
August 13, 2005

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2005, 10:22:59 pm »
Ahh their songs are so catchy  :D

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2006, 08:25:16 am »

Kate Miller-Heidke

Online material includes Space They Cannot Touch,  Hello and  Blah Blah
from Telegraph although the real stand-out of Kate's myspace audio
is Yamba 8) Alternate Pop/Folk with a voice distinctive enough for an
excellent chance of success given the air play this genre is receiving;
think along the lines of Heather Nova with a 3-octave vocal range :D

www.myspace.com/katemillerheidke

www.katemillerheidke.com

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2006, 09:00:19 am »
This thread clocked up so many view in the past week, I'm sure someone here
must taken more than a passing interest in Kate :wink: Hopefully if things pan out
I'll have an rdo May 24 and be able to attend her Brisbane Powerhouse gig 8)