Author Topic: Canadians rock my world!!!  (Read 6039 times)

sayyouwould

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
Canadians rock my world!!!
« on: June 27, 2003, 08:07:40 pm »
I'm not a lesbian but reading this made me so happy. Canadians are so smart! People should get married no matter what sex they are.

read on my friends

RONTO (June 27) -- Toronto's wedding registry office will open this weekend for the first time in its history to issue marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples who want to take advantage of Canada's recently changed marriage laws.

The city has already issued 225 marriage licenses for same-sex couples and expects hundreds more to tie the knot this weekend. It has received about 15 inquiries a day from around the world since June 10, when an Ontario court set aside the definition of marriage as a union between a man and a woman as unconstitutional.

About a million people are expected to visit Toronto for Gay Pride this week, which finishes with a parade  Sunday.

Brad Ross, a spokesman with the city of Toronto, said 25 of the 225 gay marriage licenses issued so far have gone to U.S. couples and some couples have applied from as far as Europe, China, Cayman Islands, Israel and the West Indies.

Ross said the city will also keep its marriage chapel open over the weekend. It is making two meeting rooms available for those who wish to marry there if the chapel is occupied.

Heterosexual couples are also welcome to get licenses or tie the knot over the weekend, he said.

"It's a very convenient time for people. Everybody is in the same place (for Gay Pride Week)," said Rev. Brent Hawkes of the Metropolitan Community Church of Toronto, the majority of whose members are gay or lesbian.

He will perform six weddings this weekend and plans to marry his partner John on their 25th anniversary, in three years time.

A landmark ruling by an Ontario provincial court  June 10 included homosexual unions into the definition of marriage.

The federal government signaled its acceptance of gay marriage a week later when it decided not to appeal the provincial court's decision.

"We are now full participants in Canadian society. Apartheid is gone," said Bruce Walker, a lawyer in Toronto who plans to marry his partner of 26 years in the next six months. "It has been a 26-year struggle."

South of the border, the U.S. Supreme Court earlier this week struck down a Texas law banning sodomy between same-sex couples, in effect ending all anti-sodomy laws in the 13 states where they still exist.

But gay marriages are not allowed in the United States. Vermont allows gay civil unions but not full marriage.

"I am amazed to live in such a beautiful country," Walker said of Canada. "It is beyond my wildest imagination that it happened so quickly."
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

Scotty

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 08:18:23 pm »
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhtt

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

sayyouwould

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 08:20:02 pm »
Was there any reason for your rude reply? I'm dying to know why you had to be so rude.

VanessaLover03

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GodMustHateMe003
    • View Profile
    • Email
i c
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 12:27:02 am »
Thats cool and all...but im really religious and still beilive in full hetero-sexual marriages...but nuttin against them of course
A Very Proud NESSAholic and NESSAjedi PadVan,
Alex

NESSAholics forever!!!!

topher8467

• ICQ Messenger - 330591060
    • AOL Instant Messenger - narruc67
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Author0804
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/author0804
    • Email
Why is government dealing with this anyway?
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 01:23:02 pm »
I'm wondering why it's a political issue at all; it's actually a moral and spritual issue. Neither the United States nor Canadian governments have any real business dealing with it.

The problem is, politicians see it as an appeal, or non-appeal, to voters, so they go about trying to make a "responsible" decision on it, when it really should be a non-issue as far as politics are concerned.

Therefore, as far as my vote is concerned (if it really actually would matter), I would vote for the candidate not wasting a whole bunch of time on something so insignificant, rather than the one consuming him/herself with it.

Christopher
Ti Amo Michelle!

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 01:42:34 pm »
A case could be made for homosexual marriage to be a very political and judicial issue.

There will be a case where this issue will be dealt with by the USSC very soon--mark my words.

And I'll also go on record as saying the court will uphold the state's rights to deny gay/lesbian marriage.  Think about it... where in the constitution does forbid any kind of law?  Not the 9th amendment... that's all about privacy... when you try to make a relationship be "sponsored" by the government such as marriage, you make that very un-private.  Plus, common sense would tell you if three judges voted to uphold sodomy laws, at least five will ban homosexual marriage.

As far as the morality of it goes, I don't think it should be allowed.  Have we lost all sense of tradition in this country?

Oh yea, and Canada sucks.   :wink:  :razz:
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

topher8467

• ICQ Messenger - 330591060
    • AOL Instant Messenger - narruc67
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Author0804
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/author0804
    • Email
Re: Canadians rock my world!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 02:04:27 pm »
Quote from: "sayyouwould"
South of the border, the U.S. Supreme Court earlier this week struck down a Texas law banning sodomy between same-sex couples, in effect ending all anti-sodomy laws in the 13 states where they still exist.

Quote from: "GSUCarltonFan"
Plus, common sense would tell you if three judges voted to uphold sodomy laws, at least five will ban homosexual marriage.

According to Shelly's quote, the justices voted to ban the Texas law prohibiting sodomy. Therefore, real common sense dictates that at least five will vote to open the door to same-sex marriages.

Christopher
Ti Amo Michelle!

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 02:50:19 pm »

As far as the morality of it goes, I don't think it should be allowed.  Have we lost all sense of tradition in this country?

I don't get what the big deal is...if gay people wan't to get married, let them. We have more things in this world to worry about than that. I mean come on...that's just discrimination to me not to allow gay marriages. I personally don't agree with gay marriages but if they wan't to get married, so be it. We have far worst things in this world to worry about.

Katia's Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Canadians rock my world!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 03:04:25 pm »
Quote from: "topher8467"
Quote from: "sayyouwould"

Plus, common sense would tell you if three judges voted to uphold sodomy laws, at least five will ban homosexual marriage.

According to Shelly's quote, the justices voted to ban the Texas law prohibiting sodomy. Therefore, real common sense dictates that at least five will vote to open the door to same-sex marriages.

Christopher

That's an asinine statement if I've ever seen one.

You literally are comparing apples and oranges.  The legal right to have consensual adult sex between two members of the same gender is a VERY different issue than is the issue of government sanctioned homosexual marriage.

Read the Lawrence opinion, you'll find the court came very close to flat out saying they still held the state right to deny homosexual marriage.

Where is the federal issue here?  This is a states rights issue, and from someone who has studied this very court, read books by most of the current justices, and who follows their rulings very closely, trust me on this one.

If three justices were willing to ban homosexual sex, don't you think at least two more will give the states the right to ban a government sanctioned marriage?

Katia's Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 03:08:11 pm »
Quote from: "Me&myPiano"

I don't get what the big deal is...if gay people wan't to get married, let them. We have more things in this world to worry about than that. I mean come on...that's just discrimination to me not to allow gay marriages. I personally don't agree with gay marriages but if they wan't to get married, so be it. We have far worst things in this world to worry about.

Like I said, has this country lost every aspect of tradition we've ever had?  

I have no problem with homosexuals nor do I have a problem with two homosexuals doing whatever it is they do.  But this is one thing that I still feel should be held as a sacred bond between a man and a woman.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 03:11:31 pm »
So they are allowed to go out and do whatever it is they do forever and ever, but they aren't allowed to get married? That really doesn't seem fair, and it doesn't exactly make sense either. Unless I just misinterpreted what you said.

sayyouwould

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 08:51:01 pm »
Quote from: "Me&myPiano"

Like I said, has this country lost every aspect of tradition we've ever had?  

I have no problem with homosexuals nor do I have a problem with two homosexuals doing whatever it is they do.  But this is one thing that I still feel should be held as a sacred bond between a man and a woman.

you're wrong and people who think that it is a sacred bond between a man and  woman are really stupid. ok so you meet this person who you think is great and you guys get really really close blah blah. After a year of dating and being that you are abstinent you ask this person to marry you after no sex. Well this person looks totally stange and says thats not possible. You say why? and this person who you love dearly says well you know because we are gay guys. Well you didn't know he was a guy because he was the female in the relationship. You just thought she was kinda tomboyish. What are you going to do? Let this person go just because they have a dick? You didn't look at the big picture and it's sad that a 14 year old understand more of love then you do.

sad.

Katia's Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2003, 07:42:46 am »
Ok people.  This is the crap I don't need.

Why must you people ALWAYS take a political/morality/whatever argument and come back with "you're stupid".

You have your view.

I have mine.

We disagree.

That makes none of us stupid.

Just different.

Grow up.

Katia's Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2003, 07:48:45 am »
Oh yes, and to answer your question:

If I date a girl, and learn she has a dick, it's over.  I do NOT suffer from homophobia... too many gays on this campus to.  But, while I really don't give a damn what they do in private, I don't feel the state of Georgia should be forced to accept their marriage.

When it boils down to it, this is a states rights issue.

sayyouwould

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2003, 07:55:53 am »
Ok people.  This is the crap I don't need.

Why must you people ALWAYS take a political/morality/whatever argument and come back with "you're stupid".

You have your view.

I have mine.

We disagree.

That makes none of us stupid.

Just different.

Grow up.

ummm no that had nothing to do with politics. It had to do with you and thinking that you should only love someone of the oposite sex. And I'm perfectly mature in what I was saying. Maybe instead of stupid would you have prefered ingorant? that's a better word for what you are. And if you don't need this crap why did you post that? If there was a gay person on this board they would have started even more then what I am saying. So seriously you don't make any sense.