Author Topic: Marmite  (Read 2950 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Marmite
« on: September 22, 2003, 12:11:06 am »
Greetings everyone!  I just must let everyone know about this wonderful substance I've imported from New Zealand this week.  It's called Marmite.  It's a yeast spread from Sanitarium high in B vitamins and folate with iron, and it is most excellent on freshly baked breadsticks. :D

I noticed there's not a single mention of Marmite (or any other -mite for that matter) on NESSAholics, so here's the first.  Who else here likes Marmite?  I'm absolutely addicted to the stuff and I'm going to have to place another order as soon as my next check comes in.

Now don't confuse this with a product from CPC in the UK also called Marmite.  The British may love it, but I've heard enough rancid comments about it that I'm not willing to try it, and I would try almost anything once or twice!  But anyway, there's my 3ยข.

http://www.sanitarium.co.nz/products/spreads.html

Marmite is New Zealand's original yeast spread.  Long valued as an excellent source of Vitamin B Complex, now Marmite is packed with even more goodness.  We have added Folate, B12 and Iron--essential nutrients for us all.

Folate is particularly important for Mums' to be and also helps us use the energy from the foods we eat.

B12 and iron are vital for good health and peak performance. Marmite provides a tasty 'meat free' source of B12 and iron.

Marmite is so versatile too.  Try it with avocado on hot toast, fresh bread or crackers.  It is also a tasty addition to stir-fries, pasta and soups.  Enjoy!
Dustin

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Marmite
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 10:57:12 am »
MARMITE! It is such a legend here, and has molto good adverts. I don't love it or hate it like you're supposed too. I only like little bits on my toast. Ahhh what a legend.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Marmite
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 11:00:32 am »
I used to love marmite, but now I'm not too sure about it. I still have it every now and then on toast but I don't shovel it on like I used to.

-Kev

Layla

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Marmite
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 11:15:12 am »
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i hate it i hate it i hate it!

I feel like a shadow
Walking behind who you think I am
Just like my shadow

zurielshimon

• View Profile
Marmite
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 07:13:20 am »
LoL.  Okay, I've gotten replies from three UK people.  I don't want to start a UK-NZ war or anything here because I think they've done a good job for the past 50 years.  Let's make it at least 50 more!  But I've never tried the UK version of Marmite and I'm fairly sure I ever will.  I'm also not sure if I've ever talked to anyone who's tried both the UK and NZ versions, but I have read pages on the difference.  NZ Marmite, made by the Sanitarium Health Food Company, contains a pinch of sugar and caramel colour, but it now also contains B12 and Folate, making it just as nutritious as that from Burton-on-Trent.  While I could eat it like peanut butter, I'm trying to spread it thinly so there's enough left for all the other Kiwis that want some.
Dustin

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Marmite
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 07:59:50 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
NZ Marmite, made by the Sanitarium Health Food Company, contains a pinch of sugar and caramel colour, but it now also contains B12 and Folate making it just as nutritious as that from Burton-on-Trent

Of course! B12 and Folate. I should have guessed.

:?

-Kev

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
Marmite
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 09:12:13 am »
Quote from: "kev222"
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
NZ Marmite, made by the Sanitarium Health Food Company, contains a pinch of sugar and caramel colour, but it now also contains B12 and Folate making it just as nutritious as that from Burton-on-Trent

Of course! B12 and Folate. I should have guessed.

:?

-Kev

Indeed, such an obvious difference, isn't it scum!? lol, you will start a war- because ours is much better packaged anyway! And you actually read pages on the difference?

Layla

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Marmite
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 12:17:35 pm »
*tries to understand*

I feel like a shadow
Walking behind who you think I am
Just like my shadow

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Marmite
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 01:08:39 pm »
hmmm i looked for it while at the grocery store today at our imported foods section, and it wasn't there. but do you know what i did see in the frozen foods section?

Oh yes Zuriel my friend, those would be Gnocchis  :wink:  mmmmmhmmm possibly the greatest food on earth.

but next time i see marmite i'll be sure to try some, it sounds....interesting![/img]

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
Marmite
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 05:52:04 am »
GNOCCHI!!!! I love those things, they cook in 2 minutes and go with EVERYTHING! oh i cannot express how much i love gnocchi.

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Marmite
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 04:12:43 pm »
rosie, as much as i liked you before, i now like you even more! almost everyone i've ever talked to has no idea what gnocchi's are, even people who own italian restaurants! mmm i'm in the mood for them now. they're a staple in my family every Christmas. everyone go eat them now!

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Marmite
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2003, 05:26:47 pm »
I LOVE gnocchis.  I get them whenever I go to resturants (well ones that actually have them).  Yay!

But I don't like the ones in the frozen food section.  They're never as good.

zurielshimon

• View Profile
Marmite
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2003, 08:38:21 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Indeed, such an obvious difference, isn't it scum!? lol, you will start a war- because ours is much better packaged anyway! And you actually read pages on the difference?

UK Marmite, if I'm correct, has always contained B12 and Folate (in the form of Folic Acid), but now NZ Marmite has added these ingredients, along with a pinch of Iron.  The major difference, as I gather, between the UK and NZ is that the NZ also adds a pinch of sugar and colouring and has, by all accounts, a weaker (some would say less rancid) flavour.
Dustin