Author Topic: White-Only Scholarship  (Read 11594 times)

sayyouwould

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2004, 08:08:25 am »
Well Rosie, it's a normal part of our heritage. Ever since I was little people always ask what are you? So it's like we had to no choice but to be that way. We all know we are American but we all know we came from something else.

Yup. America.............
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2004, 08:11:59 am »
Quote from: "sayyouwould"
Well Rosie, it's a normal part of our heritage. Ever since I was little people always ask what are you? So it's like we had to no choice but to be that way. We all know we are American but we all know we came from something else.

It just seems so weird to me! I mean so many countries in this world are countries of immigrants- its the way the world works. England is a country of immigrants- but we are proud to be full blown english here! Its just such a weird concept to me.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

keith

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2004, 08:13:28 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
P.S keith, do you actually care about anything!?  :razz:

Not so much anymore, I used to get all pissed off about racial and gay issues but now I've seen that no matter how much arguing goes on, I can't change anything, people will be people. People will always have their predjudices. All this thread will turn into is a big argument about race.

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2004, 08:25:07 am »

It just seems so weird to me! I mean so many countries in this world are countries of immigrants- its the way the world works. England is a country of immigrants- but we are proud to be full blown english here! Its just such a weird concept to me.

really? over here it's big. I mean, we all know that we're American and are damn proud of it, but I'm also Italian and am damn proud of my heritage too! In fact, in the town where my mom grew up, there's an Italian/American festival every year. sooooo much fun!

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2004, 08:34:52 am »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"

really? over here it's big. I mean, we all know that we're American and are damn proud of it, but I'm also Italian and am damn proud of my heritage too! In fact, in the town where my mom grew up, there's an Italian/American festival every year. sooooo much fun!

Well we only say things like that when we're little and at primary school, you know crap like "i'm 1/4 scottish, 1/2 ducth, 1/2 english, 1/4 irish" and no, of course we hadn't learnt how to do fractions by that point.  :razz:

But after that no-one cares! I know someone who is spanish, french, blah blah blah but they never go on about it- no one really cares anymore.

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2004, 08:40:12 am »
see, that seems weird to me! lol. here, a lot of families are big on the traditions of their heritage. For a while my family did seven different fish during Christmas, which is an Italian tradition. And i know a lot of people who are of Irish descent that do the cabbage and ham/some other kind of meat dinner for St.Patty's day.

and a cool fact for you all - my great-great-great-ga;ldkfjasdl;kfjasd;l grandfather came over from England on the boat with William Penn  :wink: in fact, he settled in the same town that Kulp's from!

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2004, 09:13:27 am »
Well Rosie, I am mostly Welsh. You can proceed to make fun of me. :razz:
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2004, 09:27:50 am »
on the whole "claiming your heritage thing" I think thats something we do because America is a relatively new country as compared to the rest of the world. So we still look back to our roots. I know part my family first came here before the American revlolution and all 4 of my grandparents were born here. But the majority of my great grandparents were born in Europe. And I have a lot of relatives still in Europe, so when I connect myself to them as family, i connect myself to my heritage. Why is that so weird? I'm proud of being an American who has a Norweigen, English, German, Polish and Czechoslovakian heritage.  :D

ok... back on topic here!
I think afirmative action is going against the equality that the US wants to be. I don't like anything that judges on the color of your skin rather than what you have done to get a scholarship. But... it does go on, and if one race can do it, why can't another?
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2004, 12:32:56 pm »
Quote from: "Holly"
on the whole "claiming your heritage thing" I think thats something we do because America is a relatively new country as compared to the rest of the world. So we still look back to our roots. I know part my family first came here before the American revlolution and all 4 of my grandparents were born here. But the majority of my great grandparents were born in Europe. And I have a lot of relatives still in Europe, so when I connect myself to them as family, i connect myself to my heritage. Why is that so weird? I'm proud of being an American who has a Norweigen, English, German, Polish and Czechoslovakian heritage.  :D

Its weird because people here are just as much from a mixed background as you are- but no one actually cares. And actually it could be argued that America is far from a 'new' country as it has one of the oldest political constitutions in the world.

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2004, 02:30:22 pm »
I hate Americans. ;)

Damn Indian killers. I've never understood that . . . What gave them the right?

Katia's Lover

• AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2004, 03:04:47 pm »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"

I believe that the second amendment is what keeps all the others preserved. :razz:

On another note, the NAACP and all those liberal hypocrites need to learn to shut up and get into the 21st century. The institutionalized discrimination they fought is long gone. Now, rather ironically, they seek to create more discrimination under the banner of "affirmative action" *barf*.

Let's see, I'll offend every other liberal sensibility here while I'm feeling in a trollish mood....

(insert crazy right wing rant)

Here come the Republicans.  "The first amendment is being construed to vague.  We must narrow free speech.  We must limit privacy (abortion).  The Bill of Rights is becoming the death of everything in this country.  But don't you DARE touch that second one..."

I'm sorry, but back when the 2nd amendment was created, there was no police.  There was no 3rd Infantry Division.  There was no 100th Airborn.  There was Bob and Billy Bob on his backporch with a shotgun.  "A well regulated militia" was all they had.  Back then, it was necessary.

Today it's not.  I'm sorry, but when the Framers built the second amendment, I don't think they were thinking of three guys with a .22 in a Dodge Durango.  

If you add the populations of Great Britain, France, Spain, Sweden, Australia, and Japan you get a population roughly the size of the United States.  They had more than TEN TIMES the number of gun deaths that we did last year.  Do you think that's because Americans are more homicidal by nature, or because those guys have stronger gun control laws?

The NRA and by that I mean the GOP voted down a ban on a GRENADE LAUNCHER last year.  A FREAKIN GRENADE LAUNCER.  In a country such as this I'm more than willing to accept more than one view, but can we all for dear God agree that there's no place on the streets for a GRENADE LAUNCHER?!  Another gun was banned during the Clinton administration was brought back under a different name--all the company did was change the grip.  That's it.  With the Bush Administration, it got through.  

Back to topic.  I like it.  I get sick of hearing the NAACP bitch and moan whenever whites do anything together and then at the same time support racist discrimination via affirmative action.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2004, 03:17:49 pm »
I'm not a Republican. I'm a Libertarian. An attack on the first amendment pisses me off as much as an attack on the second.

Stop with that right wing=1st amendment hater stuff. It's rarely accurate.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2004, 04:01:32 pm »
I hate it when people are all "blah i'm 1/4 english (scottish, insert random country).

YOU ARE AMERICAN.

The end.  LOL

Anytime anyone asks, I tell them "I am American".  I was born here.  My parents were born here.  My grandparents were born here.  My greatgrandparents were born here.

If you want to get technical, we're all African/Middle Eastern because isn't that where all people were said to have originated anyway?  *shrug*
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Katia's Lover

• AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2004, 05:28:32 pm »
Quote from: "tricia"
If you want to get technical, we're all African/Middle Eastern because isn't that where all people were said to have originated anyway?  *shrug*

We're all Iraqis!!!  Seriously, archaelogists believe the Garden of Eden (or Babylon depending on your POV) was in the southern part of Iraq.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2004, 05:40:19 pm »
*is wearing a "everyone loves a german girl" shirt*

i dont care what ya'll say... i still love my heritage! :)
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"