Author Topic: White-Only Scholarship  (Read 11596 times)

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
White-Only Scholarship
« on: March 20, 2004, 03:35:02 pm »
BRISTOL, R.I. (March 20) - On the sleepy coastal campus of Roger Williams University, a small liberal arts school unaccustomed to student activism, the College Republicans are reveling in the debate they've kicked up by offering a scholarship for whites only.

The $250 award - which required an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness" - has invited the wrath of everyone from minority groups and school officials to the chairman of the Republican National Committee himself.

Jason Mattera, a junior who started the conservative campus group in his freshman year, said kindling debate over free speech and affirmative action was just what he wanted - and he promises more.

"We did our job," said Mattera, 20, of Brooklyn, N.Y. "This is what college is all about, challenging the status quo."

They did such a good job that school President Roy Nirschel, who has clashed with the group before, cut short a trip to Vietnam last month to begin what he called "a healing process" - including forming a commission on civil discourse.

The 35-member group first went toe-to-toe with university administration last year over a series of monthly newsletter articles accusing homosexuals of squelching free speech by pushing for hate-crimes legislation. The articles alleged that a well-known gay-rights group indoctrinates students into homosexual sex.

The administration froze the College Republicans' money for two days. Nirschel said in turn, he received threatening letters claiming he was suppressing the group.

Then another article critical of Kwanzaa, which celebrates the history and heritage of Africa, sparked a complaint by a multicultural student group.

Before the Student Senate had a chance to deal with that issue, the College Republicans came up with the whites-only scholarship.

The application for the $250 award required an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness."

"Evidence of bleaching will disqualify applicants," read the application.

Mattera, who is of Puerto Rican descent, said the scholarship was a parody of minority scholarships. Mattera himself was awarded a $5,000 scholarship from the Hispanic College Fund, he said.

"Those who come from white (descent) are left to find scholarships on their own," Mattera said.

The whites-only scholarship generated national publicity, which angered university officials and many students who worried their school was being labeled as racist. Minorities make up less than 10 percent of the 3,400 full-time undergraduates.

Some minorities on campus, like Maria Ahmed, a 20-year-old junior from Providence, felt targeted.

For this, we've been waiting.

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 04:22:01 pm »
wow...i don't know what to think. i'm sort of on the fence about affirmative action....i can see where they're coming from when they say that there are scholorships for people of minorities that white people can't participate in....but at the same time....there are plenty of other scholarships in the country for white people to participate in without blocking out minorites, you know?  :?  egh....

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 04:24:49 pm »
You don't think it's racist to have scholarships for every race BUT caucasians (sp?)?

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 04:29:22 pm »
Quote from: "PIBby"
You don't think it's racist to have scholarships for every race BUT caucasians (sp?)?

I don't know....i don't know what to think about it. in i way i think it is, but at the same time i can't see how it isn't.

sayyouwould

• MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »
Good. I'm glad that they finally have a white only one....

Racism in America......lets see

If you call a black person a nigger....and you are white....racism.
If a black person calls a black person a nigger it's ok
If a black person calls a white person a cracker or a stupid white boy/girl it's ok
If a white person calls a black person a stupid black boy/girl it's racism.

please explain this to me.

Don't get me wrong...I love all people  of diffrent races  I just don't understand how black people always are saying they are being victims of racism when they are not all...are racists more than white people.
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

Chloe

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - evanessa831
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Nessaholic831
    • View Profile
    • Email
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 05:13:57 pm »
i don't know what to think of this either...

and shelly makes an exellent point though i wouldn't be able to explain it.

Things are going crazy and I'm not sure who to blame...
November 9th 2004...H a r m o n i u m!!!
Spare me just three last words, I love you is all she heard...

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 05:20:15 pm »
Quote from: "AFallingStar"

ok, on my senior trip i was surrounded by four other schools from queens and brooklyn, and they were all 95% black and 5% hispanic. They didn't like people in my school on the plain fact that we were white. They even called us crackers. But to be honest, i didn't take as much offense as i thought i would. I mean, it bugs me that they were like that, but when they called me a cracker i wasn't as angry as i would be if i were a black person being called a nigger by a white person. probably becauase there's just not as much social history behind the word cracker as there is nigger.

i dunno, it's too confusing a topic for me to really take a solid opinion on this.

sayyouwould

• MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 05:26:32 pm »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"
Quote from: "AFallingStar"

ok, on my senior trip i was surrounded by four other schools from queens and brooklyn, and they were all 95% black and 5% hispanic. They didn't like people in my school on the plain fact that we were white. They even called us crackers. But to be honest, i didn't take as much offense as i thought i would. I mean, it bugs me that they were like that, but when they called me a cracker i wasn't as angry as i would be if i were a black person being called a nigger by a white person. probably becauase there's just not as much social history behind the word cracker as there is nigger.

i dunno, it's too confusing a topic for me to really take a solid opinion on this.

Ok so it doesn't bother you at all that in music lyrics and television/movies how they always make fun of white people claiming they are weak babies? Does that not bother you being white? Does it not bother you that some black people hate white people so much that we are always made fun of by them and they would rather be killed than ever be white? It bothers me.
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

tylor2000

• View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 08:23:50 pm »
I don't really agree the essay topic is nessesary, but I do feel it is possible to have a non-racist scholarship for people who just happen to be white.  I think that even though there might be areas which need to be worked on, there has been progress, and the afro american community and other minority groups could step back and put things in perspective and figure out what is fair and draw a new line.   Which is not easy when there are groups like the KKK.

tylor

Xenophanes

White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 09:30:33 pm »
I'm a fairly staunch conservative, and don't support affirmative action one bit. It seems to me that there isn't any racist motivation at all behind the scholarship (even if it were, however, the students would have the right to award scholarships to those they wish); rather, it is students (with a political slant that I identify with :D ) speaking out and making their point in a visible, constructive manner.

Regardless of what your political slant is, the first amendment (freedom of speech) is perhaps the amendment which keeps all others in the U.S. Constitution safe. It is this student group's right to hand out scholarships as they wish, as long as it does not infringe on the free speech rights of others.

Just a side note: It really bugs me when white people are identified as "Caucasian." If you look at a map, the Caucasus mountains are slightly to the North of Turkey. I'm identified as Caucasian, and none of my ancestors come from Northern Turkey. I should be called "European."

Just thought I'd share that with ya... :roll:

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 09:33:30 pm »
Thank you for that little piece of information, Xenophanes. I'll start saying tht, rather than caucasian. ;)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2004, 11:24:10 pm »
Quote from: "Xenophanes"
Regardless of what your political slant is, the first amendment (freedom of speech) is perhaps the amendment which keeps all others in the U.S. Constitution safe.

I believe that the second amendment is what keeps all the others preserved. :razz:

On another note, the NAACP and all those liberal hypocrites need to learn to shut up and get into the 21st century. The institutionalized discrimination they fought is long gone. Now, rather ironically, they seek to create more discrimination under the banner of "affirmative action" *barf*.

Let's see, I'll offend every other liberal sensibility here while I'm feeling in a trollish mood....

Abortion is murder, the NAACP is racist, "hate crime" laws punish thought (thoughtcrime), racism ("affirmative action" my ass) sucks, Kwanzaa is a pitiful harvest festival that comes from east African traditions most Americans from Africa have no roots in, Ron Karenga ("creator" of Kwanzaa) was convicted of torturing his followers, Jessie Jackson is an asshat who complains about how blacks are so stupid they were "disenfranchised" because they couldn't understand ballots (way to represent your race!), W.E.B. DuBois is overrated and racist ("No Anglo-Saxon blood in me, thank God!"), The 9th and 10th amendments are still in the constitution, this is a constitutional republic with a limited mandate (not a democracy or a nanny state), I do have a right to own a gun, I'm not stupid for not being liberal, I'm not a racist for being politically incorrect and not sugar coating everything, Chomsky is not God, Kerry was a member of Skull and Bones too so you're still screwed if you hate that fraternity, Bush really did win the election (none of this "stole the election" nonsense), Al Franken is not funny...

*goes back to sleep under his bridge*
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

keith

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2004, 07:42:42 am »
As the board's resident negro *studio audience laughs* I have to ask, why does anyone care?

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2004, 07:47:01 am »
How many times have you used the color of yur skin as an advantage to get something? Whether it be a scholarship, a job, etc.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
White-Only Scholarship
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2004, 07:53:34 am »
Quote from: "Xenophanes"

Just a side note: It really bugs me when white people are identified as "Caucasian." If you look at a map, the Caucasus mountains are slightly to the North of Turkey. I'm identified as Caucasian, and none of my ancestors come from Northern Turkey. I should be called "European."

Just thought I'd share that with ya... :roll:

Argh! Will you all stop claiming your heritage please!? It annoys me so much why Americans can't accept the fact that they are Americans, like somehow it isn't enough and you need to desperately claim that about 100 years ago your great great great grandpa was Italian/Irish/African.

Cece, white people may not explicity make an effort to get a job because of their colour but due to prejudice that may inexplicitly be the case. Do you get that? I don't think many people have ever gone "give me the job! I'm white!" but that may've been the outcome many times.

Oh and if anyone bunches the whole of 'Europe' together again they are sailing for a naling!

P.S keith, do you actually care about anything!?  :razz:
"I'm all about the wordplay."