Author Topic: Trick questions!  (Read 21257 times)

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Trick questions!
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2004, 08:10:53 pm »
10 x .29 = 2.90
18 x .25 = 4.50

so yeah...28 stamps...7.60
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Laura

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2004, 08:50:57 pm »
Thanks Tricia!

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2004, 06:52:37 am »
Those questions are just plain silly! lol, do you have exam questions like that!?

And yes of course we have a fourth of july, whoever set that question is as thick as a plank.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Chloe

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - evanessa831
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Nessaholic831
    • View Profile
    • Email
Trick questions!
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2004, 08:04:55 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Those questions are just plain silly! lol, do you have exam questions like that!?

And yes of course we have a fourth of july, whoever set that question is as thick as a plank.

word  8) lol

Things are going crazy and I'm not sure who to blame...
November 9th 2004...H a r m o n i u m!!!
Spare me just three last words, I love you is all she heard...

milf guy

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Trick questions!
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2004, 09:41:42 am »
Quote from: "Laura"

3rd question: Two men are playing chess. They played five games and each man won the same number of games with no ties. how is this possible?

5th question: If dirt wighs 100 ib. per cubic foot, what is the weight of dirt in a hole three feet sqare by two feet deep?

you dont get dirt in a hole because a hole is empty space.

6th question: If you had only one match and entered a dark room which there was a kerosene lamp, an oil burner, and a wood burning stove, which would you light first?

youd light the match 1st because all the rest need fire to start with.
:(

Laura

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2004, 10:24:52 am »

I sure hope we don't have exam questions like that! lol I think these were just worksheets cuz of having a sub, lol

So you guys do have a fourth of july? haha okay I'll go back & change my answer, but before I do, this may be a stupid question, but is it a holiday like it is here? lol

nessafan2004

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2004, 06:23:40 pm »
So you guys do have a fourth of july? haha okay I'll go back & change my answer, but before I do, this may be a stupid question, but is it a holiday like it is here? lol

Yes we do have a 4th of july but no it isn't a holiday over here.

I have problem solver if anyone wants to try it - it's not that hard.

U2 CONCERT

There are no tricks - this is a straight forward problem. This is supposed to be one of the questions which potential Microsoft employees are asked.
U2 have a concert that starts in 17 minutes and they must all cross a bridge to get there. All four men begin on the same side of the bridge. You must help them across to the other side. It is night. There is one flashlight.
A maximum of two people can cross at one time. Any party that crosses the bridge, either 1 or 2 people, must have the flashlight with them. The flashlight must be carried back and forth, it cannot be thrown, etc. Each band member walks at a different speed. A pair must walk together at the rate of the slower man's pace:

* Bono: - 1 minute to cross
* Edge: - 2 minutes to cross
* Adam: - 5 minutes to cross
* Larry: - 10 minutes to cross

For example: if Bono and Larry walk across first, 10 minutes have elapsed by the time they get to the other side of the bridge. If Larry then returns with the flashlight, a total of 20 minutes have passed and you have failed the mission.

There is no trick to this. It is a simple movement of resources in the appropriate order. Microsoft expects you to answer this question in under 5 minutes!

LimeTwister

Trick questions!
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2004, 06:46:49 pm »

I sure hope we don't have exam questions like that! lol I think these were just worksheets cuz of having a sub, lol

that was answered...like twice...

and the reason it's a holiday here is because it's Independence Day...It's not some magical day where the rest of the world skips that day and gets to...I don't know, sleep?...

And if you want to know about Independence Day, that would be in a history book.

High On Lullabies

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - vincent_v9142@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2004, 03:34:35 am »
1. Bill can paint a closet in 2 hours. Bob can paint the same closet in 3 hours. How long will it take them to paint the closet working together? (I'm guessing 1 hour, or an hour & a half?)

Ok, this is about reciprocals.
If Bill can paint a closet in two hours, he can paint half a closet an hour right?
And if Bob can paint one in 3 hours, he can paint a third of a closet an hour.
Working together they can paint 1/2 + 1/3 = 5/6 of a closet an hour.

To find how many hours they take to paint the whole closet divide:
the number of closets to be painted/the number they can paint in an hour        This is: 1/(5/6) = 6/5 of an hour = 1.2 hours = 1 hour and 12 minutes
The principle is exactly the same for the grass mowing one and pool draining one.
Hope that helps (and makes sense!)

Ahh I have time to spare and I'm bored, I'll do another:
4. One pipe can fill a tank in 4 hours. A second pipe also requires 4 hours, but a third needs three hours. How long will it take to fill the tank if all three pipes are open?

Slightly harder, but the principle is exactly the same.
Call the first pipe A the second B, and the third C..
Both A and B can fill the tank in 4 hours, so in one hour they can fill a quarter of it.
Pipe C can fill a third of the tank in an hour.
So if they all work together they can fill 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/3 = 5/6 of the tank in an hour.
And actually I now realise the answer is gouing to be exactly the same as it was for the first question as we have the same fraction. 1 hr 12 mins

'No one lent a hand, no one laid a look upon me, invisible to everything but blame, no one cared to tell, no one dared to believe in anything, and left me to drown in this pain'

High On Lullabies

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2004, 04:03:22 am »
Answer to the concert question:
Bono and Edge walk first - 2 mins
Bono comes back - 2+1 = 3 mins
Adam and Larry walk - 2+1+10 = 13mins
Edge takes flashlight back - 2+1+10+2 = 15mins
Bono and Edge walk back together - 2+1+10+2+2 = 17mins

And if anyone actually likes them, then here's a few more problems along the lines of the 4th of July question:

1. A farmer had 17 sheep. all but 9 died, how many did he have left?

2. If you drive a bus from Boston to Washington D.C, with 42 people on board, you drop 3 off at the first stop and 6 get on, twice as many as got off at the first stop get on at the second and none get off, and half of those on the bus after the second stop get off at the third. On arrival in Washington, what is the driver's name?

3. If you take 2 apples from 5 apples how many do you have?

4. Write down the number: 15 thousand, 15 hundred and 15

5. Is it likely that the next Men's US Open Tennis champion will have more than the average number of arms?

6. Some months have 30 days, and some have 31, how many have 28 days?

'No one lent a hand, no one laid a look upon me, invisible to everything but blame, no one cared to tell, no one dared to believe in anything, and left me to drown in this pain'

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Trick questions!
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2004, 05:38:45 am »
Quote from: "High On Lullabies"

And if anyone actually likes them, then here's a few more problems along the lines of the 4th of July question:

1. A farmer had 17 sheep. all but 9 died, how many did he have left?

2. If you drive a bus from Boston to Washington D.C, with 42 people on board, you drop 3 off at the first stop and 6 get on, twice as many as got off at the first stop get on at the second and none get off, and half of those on the bus after the second stop get off at the third. On arrival in Washington, what is the driver's name?

3. If you take 2 apples from 5 apples how many do you have?

4. Write down the number: 15 thousand, 15 hundred and 15

5. Is it likely that the next Men's US Open Tennis champion will have more than the average number of arms?

6. Some months have 30 days, and some have 31, how many have 28 days?

1) 1
2)Tricia
3) 2
4) 16,515
5) no
6) all of them
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2004, 08:25:18 am »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"

that was answered...like twice...

and the reason it's a holiday here is because it's Independence Day...It's not some magical day where the rest of the world skips that day and gets to...I don't know, sleep?...

And if you want to know about Independence Day, that would be in a history book.

THANKYOU LIMEY! Ugh, of course we have a bloody fourth of july, just like we have a fourth of every other month of the year. And no, of course its not a bloody holiday- because england didn't gain independance on that day, and never has.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

milf guy

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2004, 10:30:36 am »
Using 1 drain, a swimming pool can be emptied in 45 minutes. Using a different drain, the job requires 1 hour and 15 minutes. How long will it take if both drains are opened?

D1 empties pod in 45mins
D2 empties pod in 75mins

in 1 min-

D1 empties 1/45 of pod
D2 empties 1/75 of pod

together in 1 min 1/45 + 1/75 =

75/3375 + 45/3375 =

15/675 + 9/675 =

24/675 of the pod empties in 1 min

1/675 empties in 1min / 24 = 0.416666(r) so...

pool empties in 675x0.416666(r) = 28.125

675/24 = 28.125mins

= 28mins 71/2 secs

next question: One pipe can fill a tank in 4 hours. A second pipe also requires 4 hours, but a third needs three hours. How long will it take to fill the tank if all three pipes are open?

in 1 hour-

pipe A fills 1/4 tank
pipe B fills 1/4 tank
pipe C fills 1/3 tank

1/4 + 1/4 + 1/3 =

3/12 + 3/12 + 4/12 =

10/12 in 1 hour therefore,

1/12 tank filled in 6x12 mins

= 72mins or 1hour 12mins

edit: oops in my eagerness i didnt c this was answered.
:(

High On Lullabies

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2004, 12:50:53 pm »

1) 1
2)Tricia
3) 2
4) 16,515
5) no
6) all of them  

Yup, totally right except the first one, you're very good :)

Laura

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2004, 01:32:05 pm »
Hey don't yell at me people! haha of course I know about Independence Day, thanks Joey but I don't need a history book. All I wanted to know is if England celebrated it. geez

Thanks for the help tho. I turned the worksheets in this morning during class.