PC
43 (79.6%)
Mac
10 (18.5%)
Other
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: March 17, 2003, 09:34:15 am

Author Topic: What kind of computer do you use?  (Read 29856 times)

vive-la-france

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 165806753
    • MSN Messenger - Thomas2405831
    • View Profile
    • http://perso.club-internet.fr/alain.rouchaud
LOL@ Jason
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2003, 11:52:04 pm »
yep now for that price yu can have a color laser printer
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

GermanSusi

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 261212972
    • MSN Messenger - susi_from_germany@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - phoebetivia
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessacarlton.net.ms
    • Email
What kind of computer do you use?
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2003, 12:12:00 am »
I use a PC too but I don't know anything about it  :oops:
It is my brothers computer ...
I just know that we need more place to save something .. :wink:

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2003, 12:02:50 am »
Quote from: "PintOGuinness"
HA!!!  Technically my first "Computer" was a Texas Instruments TI994A that had to be hooked up to a TV.. programmed in BASIC and if you wanted to save anything.. you hadd to hook it up to a tape recorder and record the "noises" onto an audio cassette.

TI-99/4A users unite!!!

Anywho...my first computer was my dad's TI-99/4A. Later, we picked up a 486DX with ghetto specs.

Then..... I got a Mac Classic. 8 MHz, bus and processor, four megs of ram, 40 MB HD, no expansion so to speak. Slow as hell, but I didn't care. My dad hooked me up with ResEdit and a Pascal compiler (ThinkPascal?) and I started to do real programming. I still think of Pascal as my home language to this day. I don't get how C could have won over it... but oh well.

This computer I am using right now is a Revision A iMac. IBM PPC 740 (G3) running at 233 MHz, bus 66 MHz, 288 MB of RAM, Rage IIC 2MB, 4 GB HD, 15" CRT.

I also have a Powerbook G3, 500 MHz, 100 MHz bus, 6 GB HD, 256 MB RAM. Blah... can't remember most of the specs. It's the family laptop... so I don't get to use it much. My mom uses it for school, mostly. (She is going back to college).

Then... I have my very own laptop... a PowerBook 5300cs... the most flimsy Apple Laptop ever, not to mention the one with the nifty blowing up battery (yes, mine is fixed). IBM PPC 603e @ 100 MHz. 10.4" LCD. 16 MB of RAM. 750 MB HD. One floppy drive.

I also have three PowerBook 180s from 1993, but those hardly qualify as real computers anymore. They play Bolo well, so all is good in the world.

I did have a G4 tower... but I had to sell it because I needed the money. Those things retain value forever, it seems!

Ok... my macs right there. Now for my Intel boxen.

I have five machines on a little network as my little experiment with networking and distributed computing, ranging from a P166 to a P300. They have anywhere from 32 to 128 MB of RAM, and 2 GB to 6 GB of HD. Most of them are running Debian. I also have a P233 loaded up with NICs acting as a ghetto router.

The family file/media server is a PII300 with 128 MB of RAM with 160 GB (80x2) of storage. It's running OpenBSD.

Then I have my new project, a P233 with 32 MB of RAM. A 2.5 GB and a 1 GB HD. Two 16x CD drives. It dual boots Win2k and Debian.

Then... probably the best machine in the house..... my 900 MHz PIII. 60 GB HD, 512 MB RAM, some half decent graphics card (I don't pay attention to these things anymore). It runs 2k and Mandrake. It is pretty much for my parents.

I just came to the realization that I have way too many computers. :-P

Blah... I need to stop taking people's discards......

BTW.... I am really beginning to like Debian (as you can tell from above). apt-get install foo is so wonderful. Now if only the installer at the beginning wasn't so retarded. Oh well... my beloved OpenBSD and NetBSD are worse.........

Now if only ports were at the same level as apt-get/dselect/whatever......
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

joshua1001

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • ICQ Messenger - 23477217
    • MSN Messenger - beulah_1001@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - beulah1001
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joshua_1001
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2003, 01:29:33 am »
i recently got a new HP Pavilion PC in Dec last year, its a Pentium 4, 2.4GHz with 40GB HDD, 12x10x32 CD-RW combo with 2.4x2.4x8 DVD+R/RW and 256MB DDR RAM (266MHz).. gonna up that to 512Mb soon. i kinda feel the HDD is small, but then again, its larger than any i ever had before LOL... I also use a laptop, Pentium 3, 600MHz with 6GB HDD and a measly 96MB SDRAM.. and one old HP Pavilion PC, Pentium 2, 300MHz with 6GB HDD and 96MB SDRAM, but equipped with a 12x10x32 CD-RW... and not forgetting my brother's Compaq laptop using an AMD Athlon Xp 1.2GHz chip and 240MB SDRAM and 20 GB HDD. i love macs too but i dont have the cash to get one!! my very fist computer was an Apple II!!

LemonFreshSmurf

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2003, 07:29:31 pm »
a mac

THANKS FOR REMINDING ME  :x

atleast i have a kick ass rainbow laser mouse

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2003, 06:06:12 am »
three cheers for Elly's Rainbow Laser Mouse!!!  I've never seen something make someone so grumpy and then so elated in the span of an hour... ;-)
-- Jason

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2003, 04:09:52 am »
My comp:
- AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.41 ghz)
- Asus A7V266-E motherboard
- 512 mb DDRAM
- 10 + 40 + 80 Gb HDs (Maxtor)
- Creative DVD-rom (PC DVD Encore dxr2)
- Creative cd burner 8*4*32 (I know it's old! but still works perfectly, so....)
I think that's enough specs  :lol:

edit: and OF COURSE, dsl modem!! dsl rocks baby!  :wink:
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

TSE

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2003, 05:45:56 pm »
Me . . .

-Pentium 4 @ 2.4  ghz
-512MB DDR SDRAM
-40GB HDD (wayyyyyy too small)

--other stuff I'm too lazy to type--

and a very purdy flat panel display  :D

and a cable connection  . . .Cablevision is my provider and you don't know how close I was to getting rid of this - I hate them wouldn't even give me the damn YES network . . .and now they're gonna charge for it . . .the cable bill is already $100+ *sigh*

keith

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2003, 06:18:17 am »
I got the same thing David does.

MartUK

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
bored so doing some polls
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2003, 05:26:00 am »
I have:
Athlon Xp-2000
512Mb DDR
Dvd player + cd burner
40Gb (+10Gb from dead laptop) hard drives... looking a bit small now
adsl modem
64Mb pendrive :)
a floppy disk drive - yeah baby

I just got a bluetooth dongle and I can now use my adsl to surf and use irc from my phone! Yeah!! :D (there's the minor issue of having to be within 10m of my PC anyway, but I can do stuff like checking the online tv guides without having to get up from the sofa - perfect for a lazy booger like me)

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2003, 05:04:43 pm »
I have the box my stereo came in with a square cut out of one side as the monitor, and I have a box of dog shit as the CPU. I don't se a mouse or kyyboard or speakers. ;D

sayyouwould

• MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2003, 05:22:34 pm »
Dude...my computer is a dell... I don't really care for dells...I really like e-machines...they are sooooo cheap and are sooo good. Dell has too much crap already in the computer.

My dads computer is a HP vectra. It has a cd burner drive in it which is cool unlike mine which has a cd burner but I can't copy cd's unless I load them into Windows media player but I do intend on upgrading to a DVD player and the CD burner drive. yup.

My sisters old computer that is currently residing here is an e-machine. I don't know that make. It was one of the first computers they ever made. It doesn't have anything in it.

The families old OLD computer is a compaq pasaio(spelling) which has windows 95 and is wicked slow. I don't know why we still have it but thats ok.
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2003, 05:31:38 pm »
Quote from: "sayyouwould"
Dude...my computer is a dell... I don't really care for dells...I really like e-machines...they are sooooo cheap and are sooo good. Dell has too much crap already in the computer.

My dads computer is a HP vectra. It has a cd burner drive in it which is cool unlike mine which has a cd burner but I can't copy cd's unless I load them into Windows media player but I do intend on upgrading to a DVD player and the CD burner drive. yup.

My sisters old computer that is currently residing here is an e-machine. I don't know that make. It was one of the first computers they ever made. It doesn't have anything in it.

The families old OLD computer is a compaq pasaio(spelling) which has windows 95 and is wicked slow. I don't know why we still have it but thats ok.

I like Dells. The computers I could REALLY do without are Compaqs . . .

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2003, 05:32:13 pm »
Quote from: "sayyouwould"

I like Dells. The computers I could REALLY do without are Compaqs . . .

OlivierDetraz

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2003, 12:46:28 am »
So. I have a Mac. :D