Author Topic: The Lovely Bones  (Read 4995 times)

mellsbells12

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - luvabugg12
    • View Profile
The Lovely Bones
« on: July 04, 2004, 12:38:29 pm »
The Lovely Bones is a book by Alice Sebold.

heres the scoop:   i hate reading books..i can never get into them and enjoy them.  but for some reason--this book has got me reading 100 pages a day.  (im not finished..i started yesterday lol)  but its really good.

its basically about this girl who starts the book in heaven, looking back on her murder by her sketchy neighbor (shes 14..) and watching her family from heaven growing from it.  theres really cool logical references to this picture her little brother drew that has earth, then a thick blue line (sky), and another place above it..meaning that theres something between heaven and earth.  and its interesting to watch her emotion as she sees her family pass by the murderer and not know it or feel it.   i find the interpretation of this book rather interesting, and so far its a really good read..

i recommend it, im sure theres really good books like it out there--but i had to pick one off my reading list, and im glad i did!

Tia

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - littlemisscheekylives@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.graphic-interlude.com
    • Email
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 01:09:43 pm »
I've been meaning to pick this one up for a while - thanks for the reminder :)
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 03:15:01 pm »
8O  it's a melly post! :-P

i've heard really good things about it, i'll have to get it from the library some time :-)

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 07:14:02 am »
ditto on the highly reccommend!  I read it last month and it was very, very good.  Be warned, it may be a little disturbing if you're bothered by rape scenes, and no matter who you are you WILL cry at one point or another.  My favorite part was the language Alice Seabold (the author) uses.  She will use similie and analogy that aren't cliche and make you think about why they work.  It makes the scenes more poignant.

Pick this one up and read it!
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
The book The Lovely Bones
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:29:07 pm »
Anyone here ever read The Lovely Bones???? It is soooooooooooooooooooooooo good

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 09:31:33 pm »
I read it a few years ago.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 02:17:36 pm »
havent read it but heard good things about it...Peter Jackson is supposed to be directing a film based on the book

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
gosh dont you
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 12:17:04 pm »
hate how now a days movies are either part of a series were its part 2 or 3 or 4 or some crap or they are "based on true events" or a "true" story. Or from a book or a remake from some old one.  Remakes are never better aka POSEIDEN!!!! original one WAY BETTER!!!!

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 02:22:12 pm »
i read it 5 years ago i thought it was really good at the time, i dont remember much about it now.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Emmyspiano

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EmilyRMiller89
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/imaginationplayground
    • Email
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 05:36:22 pm »
i read this book last year or so, and honestly i didnt really get into it. the first part was good, but the middle kind of dragged for me. but i still cried. have you guys read SPEAK? let me tell you, i have read that book over 20 times, and i cry each time. it honestly feels like the author or the main character, melinda took the words right out of my mouth. its such a good read!!
And if you don't believe me just put your hands on me
I see the dalai lama, I feel him blessing me

equeen1022

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • AOL Instant Messenger - amber102208
    • View Profile
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 10:16:29 pm »
Quote from: "BWilli"
havent read it but heard good things about it...Peter Jackson is supposed to be directing a film based on the book

Are you serious? I hope he does a good job with it! The Lovely Bones is one of my favorite books.
~*Amber*~

'Cause I lose my way searching for stage lights...

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 04:46:36 pm »
I've read it. Quite looking forward to the film version. The effects in the afterlife world should be pretty cool, with Jackson at the helm.

vcfan

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 08:03:06 am »
OMG THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN!

I read it 4 times in high school and I've read it 2 times since. It's seriously SO good and I'm SOOOO excited they're making a movie about. Although, I agree it probably won't be as good as the original. I wanna read it again now.

Quote from: "Emmyspiano"
i read this book last year or so, and honestly i didnt really get into it. the first part was good, but the middle kind of dragged for me. but i still cried. have you guys read SPEAK? let me tell you, i have read that book over 20 times, and i cry each time. it honestly feels like the author or the main character, melinda took the words right out of my mouth. its such a good read!!

I've read that book, too. Very good indeed! Lifetime made a movie out of it, too. :)

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
The Lovely Bones
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 11:26:13 am »
All I remember thinking after finishing that book, when I was about 16, was - wtf with the sex. It seemed like a weird decision on the main character's part considering all the things I thought she could have done better using her time... if you know what I mean.