Author Topic: Stop Congress from making the next iPod or VCR illegal!  (Read 10373 times)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
Stop Congress from making the next iPod or VCR illegal!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2004, 03:51:43 pm »
Quote from: "keith"
If I wanted to download a whole CD and it had 16 tracks, I'd be shelling out $16.00.

Albums are $10 (ok, $9.99).

I may not get 20 GB, but at least I can upload .wma files to it without any problems and it won't cost an arm and a leg to build my playlist.

Why do you care about wma? It's just a wrapper for several audio codecs, none that spectacular. Also, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to build your playlist. Hell, there is always Kazaa. Yes, the iPod PLAYS MP3s!

I also don't get how you can even compare a $150 iRiver (this?) with 256 MB to something with 20 GB. There is just something about having your entire collection with you at all times.

If you're gonna compare an iRiver to an iPod, compare it to this. Same capacity. Same price. Much more bulky. Your choice.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

keith

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2004, 03:56:21 pm »
I'm in no way comparing the iRiver to the iPod. Hell, the iPod walks all over the iRiver. The iRiver is just what I personally prefer. I only have about 100 songs I take with me, I don't need my entire collection of mp3s (about 10 GB) with me. The iRiver I have is 1 GB. Again, I know it's no iPod. I just personally don't care for it. And I like .wma, again, just my personal preference, but mp3 is better.

EDIT:
Quote from: "m125 Boy"
Hell, there is always Kazaa. Yes, the iPod PLAYS MP3s!
Eww, Kazaa *shudder*

BitTorrent is the best for all your high quality pirating needs.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2004, 06:43:43 pm »
MD players are better.

That is all.

:troll:
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2004, 08:22:56 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
MD players are better.

Transencoding to ATRAC3=mucho fun for the whole family!

I use MD to record live shows one of my bands plays.

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004, 06:24:29 am »
You don't own one, now do you?

Nope but I don't want one:
- way too pricey,
- you have to use their stupid ITunes program to transfer the songs (i.e. can't use it as a portable hard drive),
- battery doesn't last long enough,
- I've had one in my hands and I don't really like the design.
I've read many reviews and the IPod is not my thing.
I'm not saying it's bad, it's just overrated.
I just had to replace my mp3 player and I bought an IRiver SlimX-550 because I still wanna be able to play cds as well: like when I'm in the States and buy a new album, I can play it right away.
Sure I have to burn mp3s on cd but I don't mind, blank cds are so cheap nowadays, I think it's worth it.
Just my 2 cents... :wink:
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 06:46:30 am »
The hard disk players suck at the minute. Battery life needs to improve, they get too hot, they vibrate to much and crash. I got one of those 80GB Archcos video/audio things (which I'm basing all of this on, the iPod is probably better). Biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. On my last trip I actually took my old tape walkman in preference :) Lasted all the way there, during and back on two AAs

I'm with Andrew, minidisc (or maybe RAM mp3 players) are the best option at the minute. Tiny, reliable, batteries lasts an eternity. Plus even though I had 80Gig to play with I always ended up just listening to one CD anyway. The HD players will be better eventually ,but not now. IMHO

-Kev

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004, 06:51:44 am »
Quote from: "Ghisy"

- way too pricey,
- you have to use their stupid ITunes program to transfer the songs (i.e. can't use it as a portable hard drive),
I just had to replace my mp3 player and I bought an IRiver SlimX-550 because I still wanna be able to play cds as well: like when I'm in the States and buy a new album, I can play it right away.
Sure I have to burn mp3s on cd but I don't mind, blank cds are so cheap nowadays, I think it's worth it.

I have a panasonic mp3 cd player i got two years ago for 100 bucks.  Fits about 12 albums on one cd, blanks cost about 25 cents each, and if i want regular cd's i can play them too.  I agree completely with you, ipod is overrated, and hell, if the hard drive crashes youre screwed, if one of my cd's gets ruined. toss it
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2004, 06:53:58 am »
Quote from: "Logikal X"

- way too pricey,

I have a panasonic mp3 cd player i got two years ago for 100 bucks.  Fits about 12 albums on one cd, blanks cost about 25 cents each, and if i want regular cd's i can play them too.  I agree completely with you, ipod is overrated, and hell, if the hard drive crashes youre screwed, if one of my cd's gets ruined. toss it

Pity the MP3 CD players are the size of a small house ;-)

-Kev

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2004, 07:01:43 am »
Quote from: "kev222"

- way too pricey,

-Kev

They are indeed too large and my MP3 CD player fucking broke.  Too many moving parts to carry it around everywhere.

My MD player is as solid as it gets.  I beat the hell out of it.

And these days with the NETMD stuff they write and encode just as fast as copying Mp3's to a solid state Mp3 player.

While the music per MD is less than the solid state Mp3 players, you can carry a TON of disks in a small space.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2004, 07:15:03 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

- way too pricey,

-Kev

They are indeed too large and my MP3 CD player fucking broke.  Too many moving parts to carry it around everywhere.

this is true. i had one for a month before i put it in a garage sale. it wouldn't even play one of my burned cds. needless to say, jessica looked somewhat like this:  :evil:

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2004, 08:03:21 am »
Pity the MP3 CD players are the size of a small house  

-Kev

uhhh my mp3 cd player is the size of a regular discman....and i use it in my car, not like my car doesnt have the room to fit one discman  :o

Also ive never burned a cd and had it not play, it plays any cd's, it will even play mp4 without the video =)
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

keith

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2004, 08:11:08 am »
It's 2004. Why are people still using CDs for their mp3s?

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2004, 08:20:15 am »
It's 2004. Why are people still using CDs for their mp3s?

Because cds can't crash like a hard drive ;)

Not true, my mp3/cd player is just the size of a cd and it's only 13 millimiters thick! (that's about 0.5 inches)  8)

I have a panasonic mp3 cd player i got two years ago for 100 bucks. Fits about 12 albums on one cd, blanks cost about 25 cents each, and if i want regular cd's i can play them too. I agree completely with you, ipod is overrated, and hell, if the hard drive crashes youre screwed, if one of my cd's gets ruined. toss it

Hell yeah!!! lol
Ipods are just the "fashion thing" to have right now. They're far from being the best thing technically speaking. And for 300 or 350 bucks, I would kinda expect them to be!! lol
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2004, 11:40:15 am »

-Kev

uhhh my mp3 cd player is the size of a regular discman....and i use it in my car, not like my car doesnt have the room to fit one discman  :o

Also ive never burned a cd and had it not play, it plays any cd's, it will even play mp4 without the video =)

Compared to a solid state MP3 player or MD player they are huge.  Easily 3 times as large and twice as akward to carry around.

---Andrew

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2004, 11:43:50 am »
way too pricey

It's about the same for stuff in the same weight and size class. Maybe you want a brick. I don't.

you have to use their stupid ITunes program to transfer the songs

iTunes is the second best mp3 player ever. The first best being SoundJam, the product Apple bought to make iTunes.

(i.e. can't use it as a portable hard drive)

Ummm... no. I used mine this summer to transfer some DV footage from my computer to a G5 for editing. I have no idea where this myth came from.

battery doesn't last long enough

I get about 8 hours. I don't really ever use it longer than that in one sitting. For long road trips, I have my car adapter.