Poll

Would you be in favor of this amendment?

Yes
8 (22.9%)
No
25 (71.4%)
Who really cares?
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: September 30, 2004, 01:14:28 pm

Author Topic: Constitutional amendment on marriage  (Read 10540 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Constitutional amendment on marriage
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2004, 06:06:19 am »
:!: You are so detached.  I agree that we should leave these decisions to a higher power, and the Higher Power has made the decision.  I'm just following it.
Dustin

freshlettuce

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - essaychic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2004, 10:51:55 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
:!: You are so detached.  I agree that we should leave these decisions to a higher power, and the Higher Power has made the decision.  I'm just following it.

That's the thing though, I feel (and it's only my personal belief) that no one knows for sure what the higher power has decided.  Therefore, we cannot make decisions on his/her behalf.  Instead, we should just love one another, be tolerant of differences, and not be hasty to judge others.   :)

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2004, 11:21:26 am »
1. Let me not profess to be perfect, but I try not to be judgemental of other people; rather I try to judge their actions so that I don't commit the same acts myself.

2. You are very entitled to your opinion and let me not force mine upon you.

3. I do believe that human beings have an unlimited capacity to devise any explanation for the things they do to justify them to themselves and to others who are so gulliable.
Dustin

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2004, 11:32:48 am »
So what exactly are you on about? Do you think God already decided that all gay people should be condemned? Or do you believe God is a much greater force than that?
"I'm all about the wordplay."

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2004, 12:44:05 pm »
Quote from: "freshlettuce"
We should leave all the judgements and conclusions about what should and shouldn't be to the higher, divine power; and not try to interpret what's in a really old book and has been revised loads of times by different people.

The Bible is a complex work of which a thourough understanding requires specific expertise in multiple fields. As such, critics of The Bible do not deserve and should not expect the benefit of the doubt. They have to earn it.

What revisions? By who? And how do those revisions degrade the authenticity of the verses regarding homosexuality?

I don't necessarily expect any answers to those questions. I just wanted to make the point that those who make statements about The Bible (or anything sufficiently complex) without substantiation aren't stating anything more than a blind opinion. Which is fine, but carries no weight in a debate.

That's the thing though, I feel (and it's only my personal belief) that no one knows for sure what the higher power has decided. Therefore, we cannot make decisions on his/her behalf. Instead, we should just love one another, be tolerant of differences, and not be hasty to judge others.

Although, for different reasons, I agree with you about love, tolerance and being slow to judge people (homosexual or otherwise) :) If you don't know what the higher power has decided, then how do you know that he/she/it approves of love and tolerance and disapproves of hasty judgment? Are you not making decisions on his/her/it's behalf? By placing the decisions into the hands of an unknowable higher power you've removed any standard of morality all together.

-Kev

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2004, 02:10:01 pm »
ok, i don't know where, and i know it's not in these exact words, but it does say in the bible something along the line of not judging others, lest you be judged as well - something of that sort.

even if you don't agree with it - why bother fighting love. to me, there's more important things to worry about than preventing two people who love each other from showing it.

freshlettuce

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2004, 06:07:12 pm »
Quote from: "kev222"

The Bible is a complex work of which a thourough understanding requires specific expertise in multiple fields. As such, critics of The Bible do not deserve and should not expect the benefit of the doubt. They have to earn it.

I am not a theologian, and am not majoring in religious studies either.  So I may not have the authority in your eyes to critique the information found in the Bible.  But the opinions that I have expressed are those that have formed after years of being a practicing Roman Catholic, 8 years of Catholic school and all.  I've examined my faith thoughtfully over time and have decided that love and compassion should be the basis of our existence in this world.    

What revisions? By who? And how do those revisions degrade the authenticity of the verses regarding homosexuality?

What is in the Bible has been decided by Papal councils hundreds of years ago.  They've decided what gospels are legit and what aren't.  I can't give specifics because I haven't studied the Bible at length, but the books are out there, the History channel specials are out there.  I'd love to study more on the subject.  I'd have to talk to you about it at some later time.  

I don't necessarily expect any answers to those questions. I just wanted to make the point that those who make statements about The Bible (or anything sufficiently complex) without substantiation aren't stating anything more than a blind opinion. Which is fine, but carries no weight in a debate.

Again, I'm no theologian, so I can't give you specifics.  Maybe I can get back to you in two weeks with well researched facts.  

Although, for different reasons, I agree with you about love, tolerance and being slow to judge people (homosexual or otherwise) :) If you don't know what the higher power has decided, then how do you know that he/she/it approves of love and tolerance and disapproves of hasty judgment? Are you not making decisions on his/her/it's behalf? By placing the decisions into the hands of an unknowable higher power you've removed any standard of morality all together.

I know that the higher power approves of love because it is what makes the world go round.  I'm sure you would say that's blind faith, but there has to be something to that belief if there are world religions that share that belief in peace and love.  There's something to be said about positivity and love.  It is what keeps us healthy and happy.  It's good energy.  And we should practice this love, not because we fear something bad will happen to us if we don't, but because we care about others.  Along with that, I feel that love is all inclusive.  I don't think a positive and good creator would encourage the exclusion of others.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2004, 02:37:32 am »
Again, I'm no theologian, so I can't give you specifics.  Maybe I can get back to you in two weeks with well researched facts.

Nah, unless you really want to, there's no need. It's not a field I'm particularly well versed in either. Detailed debate has almost certainly been done better elsewhere. We could just look those up instead of arguing in here and derailing this thread more than I already have :)

-Kev

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2004, 06:40:53 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
So what exactly are you on about? Do you think God already decided that all gay people should be condemned? Or do you believe God is a much greater force than that?

Quite the opposite!  It's not God's will that anyone should be condemned.  It's not the people who are evil; it's the things they do.  The reason people get condemned is because they never ask forgiveness for the wrong they do, and I don't really know why that is.  Nobody's expected to be perfect, everybody's expected to do wrong, but when they never admit it or try to stop, that only makes things worse.

NOTE:  Before replying to this message, take notice that I did not condemn or imply condemnation on any person, thing, or action, so do not attack me for saying that I think any person, thing, or action is wrong.
Dustin

Steavis

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Steavis09@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - A+Name+Perhaps
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Steavis09@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2004, 06:41:33 am »
Back in my homestate of Oklahoma that passed, so now it's pretty much "illegal" to be homosexual, I don't personally care if they're that way or not, they can go live their life, isn't any of my business, but if they hit on me then it becomes my business, and I'll hospitalize them, nothing personal, of course.
Washington is a dreadfully awful place......this I've learned

freshlettuce

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2004, 08:00:15 am »
Quote from: "kev222"

Nah, unless you really want to, there's no need. It's not a field I'm particularly well versed in either. Detailed debate has almost certainly been done better elsewhere. We could just look those up instead of arguing in here and derailing this thread more than I already have :)

-Kev

Okay, agreed.  :)

reese052

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
No
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2004, 09:59:58 am »
No

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2004, 11:50:15 am »
Quote from: "Steavis"
Back in my homestate of Oklahoma that passed, so now it's pretty much "illegal" to be homosexual, I don't personally care if they're that way or not, they can go live their life, isn't any of my business, but if they hit on me then it becomes my business, and I'll hospitalize them, nothing personal, of course.

Was that supposed to be funny? Because it wasn't.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Steavis

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Steavis09@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - A+Name+Perhaps
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Steavis09@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2004, 12:31:09 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Quote from: "Steavis"

Was that supposed to be funny? Because it wasn't.

Actually no, it wasn't supposed to be funny; I'll respect them as they respect me, and if they know I'm not homosexual yet still try to make a pass at me, then they're disrespecting me............and it's happened before, and I didn't hospitalize the guy, but still, if I respect you in your choice, you'll respect me in mine, or we'll have problems
Washington is a dreadfully awful place......this I've learned