Poll

Will you take his last name?

Yes
28 (71.8%)
No
11 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: December 20, 2004, 11:58:58 pm

Author Topic: Marriage Question (for women)  (Read 12555 times)

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
Marriage Question (for women)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 01:47:40 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Quote from: "neos"
I don't have to. All women keep their own last names here :D

But its still a sneaky way of carrying on the man's name- because you have your father's name, not your mother's- so its carries on anyway.

Yeah but you carry your father's name FIRST, you still keep (and use) your mother's name after that, cos we use two last names (even though officially we would have an endless list, though most people only know 8 ) You can also change the order of your last names and put your mother's first, and that would be the one you pass onto your children

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 05:53:27 pm »
yep. if nothing else, for the sake of the children. i think it's important for a family to share one name.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 10:16:32 pm »
If I have the girl I want I really don't care what name she uses because she'd be MY woman. LOL

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 10:49:49 pm »
If anything, Mandi is gonna take my name because 1) her last name sucks (according to her) and 2) she doesn't want ANYTHING to do with her father once she's out of the house.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2005, 10:00:07 am »
I don't have to. All women keep their own last names here :D

But its still a sneaky way of carrying on the man's name- because you have your father's name, not your mother's- so its carries on anyway.

Yeah but you carry your father's name FIRST, you still keep (and use) your mother's name after that, cos we use two last names (even though officially we would have an endless list, though most people only know 8 ) You can also change the order of your last names and put your mother's first, and that would be the one you pass onto your children

But you're mother's name is her father's name though, right?
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 05:36:40 pm »
hm.. well if i like my husbands last name better than mine then i might take it, but i like my last name so i dunno... and hyphens just make a mess and i wouldnt want my kids to have all these names or have a different name than me. so, i have no clue. :)
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2005, 07:51:54 am »
This is silly.  How the hell does changing your last name affect you?  Its not like you become a different person.  Its also not like someone is better than anyone else because of their last name.  Its all about who you are, not your name.  

In any case i dont care what my wife wants when i get married, its just a name, and does not represent who i am in any fashion
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2005, 08:30:20 am »
Quote from: "kaysha"
I think there should be more options.  I see a lot of hyphenated names and a few circumstances where the guy takes the womans!

My best friend's husband took her name. He said that his name didn't mean a lot to him. He never knew his dad and what not.

Quote from: "kaysha"

Personally I don't really care.  I guess it's tradition so why not but the amount of paperwork and effort to go through just to have your name changed legally is a pain in the ass.  I say keep it as it is... since most marriages end in divorce anyway you don't have to go through the effort of changing it back...LOL

This is true. A lot of people don't even change it back after the divorce for different reasons, some because of the kids but I guess it depends.

I think that it's tradition but in cases of celebs, they don't want to lose their identity. If I were one I wouldn't change mine either. And like Katia said, they'll end in divorce eventually anyway. Haha. Pesimistic I know but it's the odds.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2005, 09:42:42 am »
Quote from: "Logikal X"
This is silly.  How the hell does changing your last name affect you?  Its not like you become a different person.  Its also not like someone is better than anyone else because of their last name.  Its all about who you are, not your name.  

In any case i dont care what my wife wants when i get married, its just a name, and does not represent who i am in any fashion

I don't think you quite understand how its more a matter of principle for a lot of women than the practicality. For a lot of people, taking their husband's name may symbolise an era when women had to do everything for their husband and basically act as their slave.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2005, 01:43:17 pm »

I don't think you quite understand how its more a matter of principle for a lot of women than the practicality. For a lot of people, taking their husband's name may symbolise an era when women had to do everything for their husband and basically act as their slave.

A lot of overly concerned women.  Its still just a name and doesnt represent who you are.  

Feminism isnt a bad thing in my book, but when it becomes the man hating, revenge seeking feminism my opinion changes.  

Its like the black people who want revenge on white people for slavery.  None of them alive today are slaves, and no white people alive today had slaves (unless its some 3rd world hellhole idk about them)

Now i know that the principle of the idea makes sense, however it just isnt as important as some woman make it to be.  Such as my girlfriend said she would take my last name, and some feminist flipped on her.  Thats just stupid  *shakes head*
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2005, 03:49:32 pm »

A lot of overly concerned women.  Its still just a name and doesnt represent who you are.  

Feminism isnt a bad thing in my book, but when it becomes the man hating, revenge seeking feminism my opinion changes.  

Its like the black people who want revenge on white people for slavery.  None of them alive today are slaves, and no white people alive today had slaves (unless its some 3rd world hellhole idk about them)

Now i know that the principle of the idea makes sense, however it just isnt as important as some woman make it to be.  Such as my girlfriend said she would take my last name, and some feminist flipped on her.  Thats just stupid  *shakes head*

I agree. If a woman wants to keep her own name because she hates her husband's name, particularly likes her own name, can't be bothered to make the switch or pretty much any other reason, then that's fine by me. But if it's solely a matter of feminist principle, however inextreme, then it's annoyingly pathetic.

-Kev

Edit: I'm not entirely sure inextreme is a word. But you get the idea.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 08:10:33 am »
Quote from: "illogical"
Quote from: "Grakthis"
I'm no woman, but I wouldn't count out taking my wife's last name.

*shakes head*

Did you already get a jar to keep your testicles in while your woman keeps them for you?

No need for a jar as aking your wife's last name is not about her controlling you.  There is no law stating she must take your last name, is just generally what happens.  So what if I decide to break the norm.

Breaking the norm is only done for a REASON.  Following the norm is done "because it is the norm."

Therefore, the honus falls on YOU to demonstrate a good reason to BREAK the norm.  The only reason being because your a big giant leaking vagina.

Seriously, you can't possibly give me an explanation that does not immediatly flow from "your wife wants to be the controlling one and this is her way of demonstrating it."

And don't give me some "her last name is better" line.  Cause that's bogus.  There *IS* pride in keeping your last name.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Tiger Baby

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 09:23:27 am »
I said yes to the question......

Fairy

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilfairydotorg
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2005, 11:08:01 pm »

*shakes head*

Did you already get a jar to keep your testicles in while your woman keeps them for you?

You're a vagina hater.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2005, 02:57:25 pm »
Quote from: "Fairy"

*shakes head*

You're a vagina hater.

The vagina is the only part of a woman I like!

:D
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew