Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire  (Read 14598 times)

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 05:28:46 am »
Quote from: "Pyro"
The only problem I thought PoA had was it was missing too much information. Hopefully Newell can make it pretty like Cuaron but informative like Columbus.

Yeah, I def agree to that. PoA, as beautiful as it was (even though it was a bit of a shock to find all the locations had changed!), it was missing WAY too much information... I remember going to the cinema with a friend who hadn't read the book and having to explain loads of stuff (like who had made the map, and how the names of the map were the nicknames of Harry's father and his friends, the fact that they all secretly learned how to be animagi so they could join Professor Lupin when he turned into a wolf, etc) cos that wasn't explained at all during the film.

As a film, it's great, but as an adaptation of the books, the first two were much better.

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

ChocoNutz

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - popjuliane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 12:43:58 pm »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"
wow not at all how i pictured Rita Skeeter

thanks for sharing

Same here bout Rita!!! I pictured her in pink for some reason lol

And np! :)

Quote from: "Rose"
I really felt like a big part was missing... but then again i saw the movie probably about 2 years after i finished the book

Yeah, I felt that way too and I had kinda just finished reading the book when I watched the movie!

Oh well, I still want to see the movie so much!

Haha yeah, me too! And I guess everyone feels that way... I mean, no matter how good or bad it is, all HP fans will watch it!

Quote from: "neos"
I remember going to the cinema with a friend who hadn't read the book and having to explain loads of stuff

Oh that's what I thought when I watched it! I was like: hm, if I hadn't read the book, I think I would understand this movie... hehe

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 12:49:30 pm »
i pictured Rita with brown hair...
does it say she's blonde in the book?

oh, and a while back they announced who Cedric was in an article and showed his picture and stuff, and he's totally hot. lol. i can't wait for this movie! haha

Amanda

ChocoNutz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 12:54:45 pm »
Quote from: "JazzyManda"
oh, and a while back they announced who Cedric was in an article and showed his picture and stuff, and he's totally hot. lol.

oh oh, I remember seeing that too!! lol he's hotttt =]

Pyro

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dead+am+pyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 06:44:16 pm »
I wanna see fleur... :wink:

I've been re-reading book 4. I'm on chapter 28. I want to do some drawings before the movie comes out and ruins what I imagined.

HappyZen

• VCUBs
  • Fell off the ass end of the world.
    • MSN Messenger - youfoundzen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 06:04:33 am »
the first 2 books were easier because they were so much shorter, and there was only ONE main story line, and hardly any subplots ...

PoA was a mess of sub plots and such things .. which all culminated into the final show down but still, to get to it, much needed to be explained.

GoF .. OMG that's going to be crazy to make into a movie! Good luck to the director and producer!!!

In any case, HP movies I think the older fans have mostly read the book, or are tagging along with their harry potter freak friend who simply HAS to watch it .. so they'll get the feedback but bugging the friend that dragged them aong .. it's only fair ;-)

The younger fans .. well they don't understand THAT much of the movies anyway, and only look at the scenes for athetic reasons ..

ok, yes when it comes to HP I get very defensive ;-) LOL
bite me!!

esta vida es un sueño y soñaré
~*~save the uni

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 03:07:45 am »
I wish I could of gotten into this whole Harry Potter thing but after reading the 1st two books I realised it wasnt my 'thing'.
Plus as Jules knows; I can't read  :lol:

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2005, 12:10:42 pm »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"
lol yes, Ron and Hermoine! :-P

yep, Rita insinuates that Harry and Hermoine are together in one of her papers, and then later writes that Hermoine jilts Harry - and then Mrs Weasley sends her a really small chocolate egg instead of the huge ones she sends everyone else  :razz:

HELLO SPOILERS!  SHEESH!  :x
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

keith

• AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2005, 12:28:15 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

Come on, who hasn't read the book by now?  :roll:

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 12:44:57 pm »
Quote from: "keith"

*waves*

I don't read books written for children.

But I do watch the movies :dr evil:
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

keith

• AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2005, 01:11:16 pm »
The only problem I thought PoA had was it was missing too much information. Hopefully Newell can make it pretty like Cuaron but informative like Columbus.
That's exactly why I loved PoA so much, Alfonso Cuarón didn't try to include almost every little thing from the book.  If you had never read the books, it was easy to get confused watching the Columbus's movies because there was so much going on at once. PoA was about the three main characters. it had excellent character development.

Everyone says GoF is their favorite Potter book, I have to disagree, my favorite is PoA.  Hell, it's the best book I ever read.

ChocoNutz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 01:43:41 pm »
Quote from: "aleera84"
Plus as Jules knows; I can't read  :lol:

haha very true!

Quote from: "HappyZen"
ok, yes when it comes to HP I get very defensive  LOL
bite me!!

:lol:  LOL @ Zee!!!

Everyone says GoF is their favorite Potter book, I have to disagree, my favorite is PoA. Hell, it's the best book I ever read.

yeah, PoA is great! I'm kinda in between PoA and GoF... but I believe my fav is still GoF. Thing is PoA is a bit scary lol and I don't like scary stuff haha

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2005, 02:18:08 pm »

*waves*

I don't read books written for children.

But I do watch the movies :dr evil:

hey, if you can't be bothered to read the books (which are by far better than the movies), that's not my problem  :razz:  

besides, how can you watch the movies and completely understand what's going on? sure you can have someone explain the background to you, but it's just not the same. I say read the books, despite what you may think about them. After you get passed the first two you realize that they're not books "written for children." They progress as Harry progress in age, and in turn become more complex and interesting to read.   *shrug* just my opinion though.

ChocoNutz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2005, 04:45:23 pm »
hey so I found some more pics!

the last one are the tents at the Quidditch World Cup!

Pyro

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dead+am+pyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2005, 02:23:43 am »
That's exactly why I loved PoA so much, Alfonso Cuarón didn't try to include almost every little thing from the book.  If you had never read the books, it was easy to get confused watching the Columbus's movies because there was so much going on at once. PoA was about the three main characters. it had excellent character development.

I can see what you're saying but I don't agree. PoA seemed to be unfocused to me. Like, they missed opportunities to tell a more cohesive and compelling story. They did try to introduce a lot of the plot points, but ultimately they didn't seem to mesh, or resolve well. So the information they were trying to convey didn't work for me. And I could have done without the extra parts. Some of the characterization was nice, but some of it seemed forced. I think it could have been better.