35 (21.5%)
Unsure
11 (6.7%)
Other (anything else?)
3 (1.8%)
Choice has changed since I last answered
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Sexual Orientation  (Read 57062 times)

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2006, 11:54:59 am »
While I don't think being gay is a choice at all, I think a lot of people that are bisexual are just a product of today's society. People like experimenting and pushing the limits more than ever now, so to me it just seems natural that people's sexuality could do the same. Whereas in the past it was taboo for young people to hint at bisexuality, in a lot of places it is kind of intriguing and fun now. At my college campus, for example, there is a large community of gays, and because of that I think a lot of bisexuals as well.

Vanessa's target audience is probably 16-30, and in my opinion this is a very sexually free generation! I'm straight though :)

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
NOT A CHOICE
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2006, 08:03:01 pm »
Being gay is NOT  a choice, people don't choose to be gay, and anyone who says it's a choice can take it up with me, those people are ignorant. Anyone who thinks it's a choice, try it and see if you turn gay, you won't. Cuz, if we could do that, I'd be straight already...

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2006, 02:25:26 pm »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
am I the only one wondering why she has such a large bi/gay following? or is 21% normal?

The percentage of gay-bi or, lets say non straight people is much bigger than most people think, what happens is that is not always easy to tell someone's sexual orientation, also, because of the social homophobia many gay-bi people feel that they have to hide their orientation in order to be accepted and, sadly, many times that is true.

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2006, 07:52:29 pm »
Quote from: "ManuelD"
am I the only one wondering why she has such a large bi/gay following? or is 21% normal?

The percentage of gay-bi or, lets say non straight people is much bigger than most people think, what happens is that is not always easy to tell someone's sexual orientation, also, because of the social homophobia many gay-bi people feel that they have to hide their orientation in order to be accepted and, sadly, many times that is true.

That's true, but 1 out of five is still a lot!

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2006, 11:48:04 am »
Quote from: "ManuelD"

That's true, but 1 out of five is still a lot!

I heard the stastistic that 1 of 10 people are gay (I don't know if that includes bisexual). I would guess that she would have a larger gay following than, say, a gangster rap artist or whatever.
Joe

Zloska_of_yy

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - ernstkuiper@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - yesteryearzloska
    • View Profile
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2007, 04:15:47 am »
People who think you choose to be gay are definitely not the smartest people around (in my opinion). Because if gay people choose to be gay that implies that all straight people at some point in their lives choose to be straight. I have never heard from any of my straight friends that they made a choice and if you would have a poll amongst straight people iI would bet that practically nobody ever made that choice.
So if straight people never considered the choice, why would gay people? The only choice you make is whether you accept who you are or not.
"If it all went away, nothing left to say, oh would you fight it or would you lay down."

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2007, 03:53:11 am »
Quote from: "Zloska_of_yy"
The only choice you make is whether you accept who you are or not.

Nicely said! And anyone who thinks it's a choice should visit scholar.google.com and read some actual science about it. There have been significant studies on the matter since the 1980s.  Many people don't realize they're gay until puberty, because that's when your sexuality becomes obvious.  There are tons of biological facts to support a genetic link to homosexuality, like finger-length ratios, the size of cellular mechanisms controlling circadian rhythms, prenatal hormone imbalances due to maternal stress in the first and third trimesters, obvious linkage in family trees... it goes on and on....

Pyro

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dead+am+pyro
    • View Profile
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2007, 02:57:18 pm »
I find this topic kind of interesting because when I first joined these boards, I was unsure of my sexuality, but now I'm pretty sure I'm gay. And it always bothered me since I first became a fan of Vanessa, that listening to her music was "gay." I didn't want to prove the people who judged me based on my taste in music right by accepting my sexuality. But now I know that even if some of the things I enjoy are stereotypical, there is more to me than that despite what people think. So I was curious how many other male Nessa fans were gay, because it's kinda tough not fitting into society's perceived notion of who a Nessa fan is... i.e. White Chicks... which I am neither.

charmedguy18

Sexual Orientation
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2007, 06:06:52 pm »
It's because V's music is girly. I hate to say it, but it's very feminine to listen to V, no offense to you straight guys who listen to her. You can be in touch with your fem side and be straight, but most straight guys choose not to be because, god forbid, someone will think they're gay!

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2007, 12:00:20 am »

I was kinda wondering the same thing lol. I never read this thread till now since it kept getting bumped to the top & wow I'm surprised.

The only choice you make is whether you accept who you are or not.

I agree..

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2007, 03:48:09 am »
Quote from: "charmedguy18"
It's because V's music is girly. I hate to say it, but it's very feminine to listen to V, no offense to you straight guys who listen to her. You can be in touch with your fem side and be straight, but most straight guys choose not to be because, god forbid, someone will think they're gay!

That's funny, I have this friend and when I told her that I was a Vanessa fan she said: "Her music is really gay".

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Sexual Orientation
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2007, 05:17:57 pm »
I am gay    :D

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Gaygaygay
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2007, 10:51:11 am »
It seems today that people are way more accepting of homosexuality, so more people are coming out and stuff like that....V's music is a little girly as Charmedguy said, so of course gay guys (and lesbians) will like it....I love, IDK, I just don't listen to that many guys because girls voices sound better to me....

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
Re: Gaygaygay
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2007, 11:01:25 am »
Quote from: "liquidblue244"
It seems today that people are way more accepting of homosexuality, so more people are coming out and stuff like that....V's music is a little girly as Charmedguy said, so of course gay guys (and lesbians) will like it....I love, IDK, I just don't listen to that many guys because girls voices sound better to me....

ya I just don't think straight guys usually connect with the sentimental/emotional aspect of "chick music."

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Re: Gaygaygay
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2007, 11:19:44 am »
Quote from: "liquidblue244"

ya I just don't think straight guys usually connect with the sentimental/emotional aspect of "chick music."

I understand and appreciate it, but yeah, there's not usually a strong connection by way of personal experience.
Dustin