Author Topic: Brandi Carlile  (Read 23633 times)

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brandi Carlile
« on: January 25, 2006, 06:02:02 pm »
I first found out about her in September when Kristin Hoffmann opened for her in Boulder. I had seen her name floating around MySpace and finally picked up her CD in December. I saw her on Friday in SF (which sold out btw)and she's really great. It's almost too country for me but there's just something about her music. Oh and she plays guitar.

Authentic. That's the first word that springs to mind when you encounter Brandi Carlile. From her rootsy bell-clear voice to the palpable emotion that seeps through every song on her stunning debut album, everything about this 23-year-old from rural Washington state is the real deal.

Growing up in the isolated foothills of Ravensdale, 50 miles outside of Seattle, Carlile turned to music for company. "Ravensdale wasn't a town," she says. "We were the only house around for acres and acres. Being in the middle of nowhere, it wasn't the kind of place you brought friends back to, so I just hung around the woods and built forts and played music with my brother and sister. That's all we did. And we thought that's what everyone else in the world did, too."

Full Bio

Be sure to check out her MySpace and tell me what you think. I really like (from the player) "Throw It All Away."

ILoveHanson

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HansonGirl
    • View Profile
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 08:18:04 pm »
i saw her open for hanson in cali in oct of 2004.. she was pretty good. but she covered hallelujah and like, everyoneee covers that.
*Nicole*

I'm always on the move, my heart is always on the mend

www.twitter.com/hansongirl
www.last.fm/user/ILoveHanson

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 12:23:57 am »
I have heard someone else mention that. I have actually never heard anyone else do it. I think she did a fine job.

Here are my pictures from the show.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 04:27:18 pm »
May 13th GAMH- SF!! Very excited, who wants to go?

Tickets go on sale March 19th!

HappyZen

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Fell off the ass end of the world.
    • MSN Messenger - youfoundzen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 09:58:11 pm »
wow Let ..

i'm enjoying fall apart again!!

usually .. I have to "get used to" artists .. but she's just so fluid!!

Very nice!

Thanks!!

esta vida es un sueño y soñaré
~*~save the uni

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 09:15:22 am »
She IS too country for me.  But you are right, everything else about her music is extrememely interesting.  Her lyrics are so sad and depressing it hits my emotional mark almost always.  Her older songs she wrote when she was a kid are really great.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 09:02:41 pm »
I started to put up the show from last night at The Great American Music Hall. It's about half up so be sure to check back for the rest as well as the pictures.

Find the videos here

loveplasticlove

• Moderators
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - loveplasticlove
    • View Profile
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:04:43 pm »
uhhh umm Was she like in the Go Gos or something?
"I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist."  -Marilyn Manson
SuperScientific: I have a eggroll to shove in your rice patty lol

walking in the rain

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 06:07:01 am »
I saw Brandi Carlile perform when she opened for Train in D.C.  She has a very impressive voice.  She came back onstage during Train's set and sang a duet with Pat Monahan, a cover of "Wild Horses."  They did a beautiful job of it, too.  I've heard that they went into the studio earlier this month and recorded it.  I'm hoping the rumor is true 'cuz I can't wait to hear it -- that's gonna be one AWESOME recording!   :)
~ I am walking a thousand miles in the rain ~

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 09:58:18 pm »
Isn't it great when you are surprised with a good/impressive opener? I want to go see her on the 29th of July where she's opening for Shawn Colvin. She says it will be an acoustic set which will be cool but it's at a winery and the lawn tickets are $60. Who am I kidding, I will go.

There's a cool video of her at KCRW doing a few tunes in studio. Check it out!

Oh and get this. An email went out today announcing the re-release of her CD with 4 new songs. The email went on to say how they aren't trying to get people to buy it again. It said that if you already bought it and want the new songs to email your name and address and they will be sent. Isn't that crazy!! I mean, people would buy it if there was only 1 new song. Or what I plan on doing is buying just the new songs from iTunes.

walking in the rain

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 04:32:38 am »
Quote from: "eclv"
Oh and get this. An email went out today announcing the re-release of her CD with 4 new songs. The email went on to say how they aren't trying to get people to buy it again. It said that if you already bought it and want the new songs to email your name and address and they will be sent. Isn't that crazy!! I mean, people would buy it if there was only 1 new song. Or what I plan on doing is buying just the new songs from iTunes.

Hey, that is really cool of her to do.  And thanks for the info about the new songs.  I'll probably go ahead and get them off of iTunes too, but the "Wild Horses" track recorded with Train isn't one of them.  DARN!
~ I am walking a thousand miles in the rain ~

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 08:25:48 pm »
I have finally taken the time to figure out how to convert the mpeg files from the GAMH show into mp3. Right click save target as is always the best way to save it.

Creep

Wasted

jessicaweiser

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 06:41:38 pm »
I saw her open for the Fray and I was really impressed w/ her covers, like "Creep," (thanks for the mp3!!) "The Times are a-changin" and "Folsom Prison Blues," but her album really bores me. She has quite a voice live, though!

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 10:03:06 pm »
Brandi's new album, The Story dropped on Tuesday and I had the pleasure of seeing her for the 5th time on Monday.

If you haven't checked her out yet, you should. And for all you Grey's fans this Thursday they are going to premiere The Grey's Anatomy Music Video for The Story.

Here's the preview.

and a few videos from the show you can find here.

tylor2000

• View Profile
Brandi Carlile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 11:05:32 pm »
I was there at the GAMH this time around.  She is a very real artist and very authentic.  You guys should definantly check her out.  She is the kind of artist that makes you reconsider your tastes in music because she is that good.