Author Topic: We're back, we're back from San Francisco [videos posted]  (Read 59486 times)

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
We're back, we're back from San Francisco [videos posted]
« on: March 24, 2006, 10:04:35 pm »
And we have plenty to say.

Firstly, me and Sammy (ordinaryday6) took a little adventure to San Fran this week. We got there on Sunday afternoon and left this (Friday) morning.
On Sunday afternoon, I called my buddy who works in Third Eye Blind's management office, and he invited us down to SF Soundworks studio in Soma to spend the afternoon/evening with Vanessa and Stephan while she did some tracking.
Soooooooooo he picked us up and brought us down to the studio (in a rather shady neighborhood) and left to run errands while Sammy and I just chilled with Nessa and SJ. When we got there she was in the middle of doing The One. Which sounds AMAZING if I do say so myself. I am a sucker for violins and HOT DAMN are there some sweet strings in that song. I loooooved it. It was really awesome to hear her with a band again, hopefully (I hope, anyways) there will be no more p/v's on this album, I don't care for them much.
Nextly was Best Behaviour (which WILL be called Best Behaviour, we were told). It could go either way. On the one hand, there was this horn section in the chorus that Stephan thought was "soulful" but V (and the two of us) thought were HORRIBLY cheesy. Luckily, though, by the time they finished the song they weren't playing the horn track anymore so maybe it won't make the album. If it does I will personally strangle Stephan with my bare hands. What we thought was the best part was the bridge and the instrumental and the following chorus. The little breakdown instrumental after the bridge got a bit more complicated (I think, I haven't listened to the bootleg in awhile) and that chorus has the piano and guitar and everything but the drums (and maybe bass) drop out and she sings, and then everything drops for "ended too soon." GOOD STUFF.
Last was PYHOM, which they've been calling Hands On Me (maybe to please her mom? lol), and she only did vocals and a little bit of midi piano for. It also sounds really good. My friend (who I'm not naming on purpose in case it wasn't obvious) says that it has some really killer strings in it but they didn't use them in the sound booth playback. She added a cute little vocal sort of [arpeggio?] I don't know the techincal term. Anyways she added it in the bridge after "old." She was really excited about it... We laughed. Anyways yeah, so that also sounds awesomeeeeeee EXCEPT for one little thing we caught when we listened to a mixed version of it (which I'll get into in a minute), which is some really whacked-out off-the-wall backing vox at the end when she's repeating "hands ooooon meeee" or whatever. Some opera business (exaggerated, but that's what it reminded me of).
Oh and there's sweet harmonies in the choruses of PYHOM and The One.

So on Tuesday we went over to my friend's house and listened to some stuff, mostly Third Eye Blind, but also mixed/mastered versions of Nessa's new stuff, including ALL IS WELL and WOW. All I have to say about that is <333333333333333333333333333333
We also heard BB (without the horns!), The One, Put Your Hands On Me and This Time. Honestly (and I'm not being biased, I swear), I do not care much for Linda Perry's production. We also listened to two other Perry songs, Spring Street and Wave Goodbye. Spring Street is alright but sort of lacking in the lyrics department. Example: the chorus is variations of "he said, na na na na na na naaaaaaaaa." Okie dokie then. It reminded me a lot of Who's to Say in the sense that she's telling her mom that she has to let her go. Or something like that. Forgive me for lacking details about this stuff we were sort of stoned.
The other song, Wave Goodbye, all I remember is NOT liking it and getting this really weird California Dreamin' vibe off of it. Obviously this is just our opinion though, everyone is allowed to form their own. We may all be surprised later.

But anyways back to the studio. For anyone who has EVER said that Vanessa is even KIND OF a bitch, kindly bend over so I can insert my foot up your ass. She welcomed us in, introduced herself, chatted with us, offered wine and cookies, let us play with LORD VICTOR (OMFG SO CUTE) and was totally apologetic when he pooped on our walk. HAHA. She was just soooo sweet. And anyone who thinks that Stephan has complete control of what goes on in the studio, IMO she has got him SO whipped. Basically she is doing exactly what she wants with the songs and I think she's taking them in a really good direction. And she loves pita chips. And that's an understatement.

Some pics...

us at Soundworks

Victor (aka MY SWEEETIEEEEEEEEEEE in really loud high voice courtesy of Nessa EVERY FIVE SECONDS)

Sammy and the man

Random shot of the studio

Here is my disclaimer:
I had mixed feelings posting all this cause I know some people like to be surprised about everything. Keep in mind no one forced you to read all this.
Second, I have video I recorded of her playing to The One and Best Behaviour. They are short clips, less than a minute each. If anyone wants them, let me know and I'll post. If there are any strong objections, let me know and I won't post. If there are any mild objections, no one's forcing you to listen. But trust me they are savory.
Hope you enjoyed this 23432708309830948032302943 paragraph long post.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:36:29 pm »
well thats pretty effen cool if i may say so   :)

Gingernut

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:49:25 am »
oooh wow. thanks :) sounded like you had fun.

(victor is so cute.)
ohohoh! I'd like the videos, and probably so would a few other people. Thanks :)<3

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 02:02:04 am »
That's very cool but if I were to meet Vanessa Carlton I definitely would not be stoned!!!!!!!!
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

bluebutterfly

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 02:24:12 am »
omg nat (and sam), I am SO FKN JEALOUS  8O  lol. please post the videos!!
That's so rad though, seriously what a once in a lifetime adventure for you  :lol:

Sheree

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/yougetme
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 04:06:33 am »
WOW that rocks, cheers very much for posting that up!
I'd love to see the vids too!
Thanks again :)

~Just a day just an Ordinary Day~

PianoLover24

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 05:38:51 am »
video please!

Dora

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessa-carlton.org
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 06:36:25 am »
eeeeee thats so awesome!!!!
thank you for sharing

*dreams*

desperado

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 07:34:07 am »
Wow... That makes me even more excited to hear this album. Was there any talk of when they think it will be released?

desperado

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 07:34:52 am »
And oh yeah, can I see the videos?

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 08:20:06 am »
Quote from: "MeganJane"
That's very cool but if I were to meet Vanessa Carlton I definitely would not be stoned!!!!!!!!

I've met her before so it wouldn't've been a big deal if I was stoned this time, which I was not. I was stoned on Tuesday night when we listened to mp3s at my friend's house.

Okay the videos. I'll post them later today kiddos.  :)
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

NolitaFairytale

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 08:21:09 am »
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to meet her :cry:
Videos please :)

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 08:21:46 am »
Quote from: "desperado"
Wow... That makes me even more excited to hear this album. Was there any talk of when they think it will be released?

No, no talk, but my friend only had 7 tracks which is not an entire album. However, he did say that she was doing some production work with a third guy (not just SJ or Linda), and that each producer's songs all sounded very different, which is interesting because I wonder if the album will flow at all or if it will just be a jumble of different producers.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 09:38:51 am »
Wow! That sounds like you had an awesome time. The songs sound like they are amazing, except the Linda Perry ones sound kinda weird. That's interesting that she's going to have three producers. I hope the album does flow (and that I won't be skipping over the LP songs every time I listen to it). But this is still making me very excited for the new album. And omg, Victor is so cute with his little toy.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 11:51:59 am »
Totally awesome, guys!  Completely green with envy.  Never been in the studio with a major artist, especially a favorite of mine like VC.  About the horns?  The mix will determine that, obviously.

What did you think of the recording process?  Man, I would love to have heard her track a vocal.

Dan/NS