Author Topic: How would you....  (Read 9796 times)

bluebutterfly

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
How would you....
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 05:21:43 am »
^ thanks for those!  :)

(and yeah, what the fuck, it's a picture of Amy Lee. im surprised it wasnt a Branchy picture lol)

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
How would you....
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 05:30:54 am »
You're welcome.  :)

Um, Vanessa and Amy both have dark hair... I didn't realize that makes artists interchangable though, lol
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
How would you....
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 06:24:33 am »
Amy Lee looks nothing like Vanessa....Vanessa looks nothing like Michelle...Michelle looks nothing like Amy...(sigh)   :roll:

I don't know how it's possible to put a picture of Amy Lee next to a Vanessa article.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
How would you....
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 07:05:11 pm »
Well I did a google image search for VC and found a pic of a man... so go figure. And he was black. (Not being racist here, just pointing out the further differences in appearance.) Lol.

The only similarity between Amy and V is the dark hair, but apart from that they are completely different in apprearance and musically.
-CONFUCIUS

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
How would you....
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 05:08:18 pm »
Quote from: "white_houses"
Quote from: "STARGiRL"
i hate classifying music

just listen to it
enjoy it
or don't.

its as simple as that

obviously music needs to be categorised into genre's, as people have different music tastes.

one person may like RnB, while the other may like pop.

not to mention award ceremonies. there are category's like "best pop album" and "best hip hop album", etc.

so music DOES need to be categorised into genre's.

i disagree..
people are already labeled- with a name to distinguish them. you don't have to say "i like pop and rock and country" people will still know what you're talking about if you say that you like britney spears and radiohead and tim mcgraw.
you dont need to classify their music into one specific genre, because what if they write one song that sounds completely different than an other song? you'd be unfairly labeling them.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
How would you....
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 05:24:19 pm »
i hate classifying music

just listen to it
enjoy it
or don't.

its as simple as that

obviously music needs to be categorised into genre's, as people have different music tastes.

not to mention award ceremonies. there are category's like "best pop album" and "best hip hop album", etc.

i disagree..
people are already labeled- with a name to distinguish them. you don't have to say "i like pop and rock and country" people will still know what you're talking about if you say that you like britney spears and radiohead and tim mcgraw.
you dont need to classify their music into one specific genre, because what if they write one song that sounds completely different than an other song? you'd be unfairly labeling them.

Right, ok.

And let's say someone asks you if you've heard of an artist which you haven't. How are they going to describe their music to you? Yeah, they could name all of the instruments under the sun or whatever, but the fact remains it's going to be a certain type of music - pop, rock, rap, etc.

These category's are a shorthand to us, which help us IDENTIFY artists so we don't mix their craft up with something else.

Artists like Usher and TLC are RnB, while artists like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera are pop.

Fair enough, you know who Britney is. But you could go up to someone and ask them if they like her, and they could say "Who is she?". You would THEN begin saying how she is a pop artist and whatnot.

And if an artist chooses to do something outside their genre, it's usually called an eclectic sound (like Gwen Stefani for example).

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
How would you....
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2006, 12:55:56 am »
i hate classifying music

just listen to it
enjoy it
or don't.

its as simple as that

i disagree..

Right, ok.

And let's say someone asks you if you've heard of an artist which you haven't. How are they going to describe their music to you? Yeah, they could name all of the instruments under the sun or whatever, but the fact remains it's going to be a certain type of music - pop, rock, rap, etc.

These category's are a shorthand to us, which help us IDENTIFY artists so we don't mix their craft up with something else.

Artists like Usher and TLC are RnB, while artists like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera are pop.

Fair enough, you know who Britney is. But you could go up to someone and ask them if they like her, and they could say "Who is she?". You would THEN begin saying how she is a pop artist and whatnot.

And if an artist chooses to do something outside their genre, it's usually called an eclectic sound (like Gwen Stefani for example).

it just bothers me the way that everyone feels that everything has to be properly labeled as something, from music to people (the way they dress..act, etc) because i write music and music in general is a very close thing to me and it would bother me if one day people hear my music and say, "this is what you are" when one day i write a song that sounds nothing like the song before it, and the song before it, etc. i would hate to feel "labeled".
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

musicnotex

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
wow.
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 05:09:14 am »
wow. thats all pretty deep. im not sure what genre V is honestly! i dont think she fits any genres [isnt that what we like about her?]..so i guess classifications arent for her.

but i guess that for other artists whose music is confined to a certain style and they fit the style perfectly, then no harm saying that they belong to a certain genre. just that maybe V cant be classified..

Martin.

• View Profile
How would you....
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 04:24:40 pm »
i hate classifying music

just listen to it
enjoy it
or don't.

its as simple as that

i disagree..

Right, ok.

it just bothers me the way that everyone feels that everything has to be properly labeled as something, from music to people (the way they dress..act, etc) because i write music and music in general is a very close thing to me and it would bother me if one day people hear my music and say, "this is what you are" when one day i write a song that sounds nothing like the song before it, and the song before it, etc. i would hate to feel "labeled".

Then you'd be labelled as an eclectic artist or whatever wouldn't you.

If you get notminated for an award, they're gonna need to put you in a category aren;t they?

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
How would you....
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 07:24:06 pm »

I can definitely relate to that.  :)

If you get notminated for an award, they're gonna need to put you in a category aren;t they?

I think most music could be put into the main categories (eg. pop, rock, alternative, hip-hop etc.) for awards without being completely defined by that genre. I mean, they have to have more broad categories; they don't usually have awards for specific genres like "Best Melodic Death Metal Album" or whatever, lol. Even in these very specific subgenres there is room to experiment and evolve. Or at least there should be. Also many  artists/bands change genres as they grow, that is if they are classified by their different albums.
-CONFUCIUS

Martin.

• View Profile
How would you....
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 05:17:29 am »
Quote from: "MeganJane"

I can definitely relate to that.  :)

I think most music could be put into the main categories (eg. pop, rock, alternative, hip-hop etc.) for awards without being completely defined by that genre. I mean, they have to have more broad categories; they don't usually have awards for specific genres like "Best Melodic Death Metal Album" or whatever, lol. Even in these very specific subgenres there is room to experiment and evolve. Or at least there should be. Also many  artists/bands change genres as they grow, that is if they are classified by their different albums.

Well yeah, but with artists placed in the rock category, they might not be entirely rock, but you'd get the jist of what type of music they'd be making.

I think it's a good thing that you're related to a certain genre. I mean, if someone asked if you knew an artist, and you didn't, you'd ask what genre they were because that's the type of music you'd listen to. You might listen to all sorts of music, but there are a lot of people who listen to rock, rnb, pop, indie etc.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
How would you....
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 06:47:58 pm »
I think that the reason why people (like myself) are getting fed up with genre labels is because a) lots of music is getting too similar, and/or b) people's assumptions.

For example, if I tell people, "I like metal", they usually assume I like all this new stuff which mostly sounds the same to me. I find it kind of boring because lots of it is too similar. What I actually do like, is a few "old" bands who all have their own style. So if I say "I like Metal", I want it to mean that I have a choice of countless bands with all different sounds that still fall underneath the umbrella of that genre.

So if you say "I like pop music", people seem to think you like everything that's popular on the charts. But you may love one type of pop and hate another. You may love Britney and hate Christina. Or love Kelly Clarkson and not Gwen Stefani. Or be a Vanessa Carlton fan and hate James Blunt.

I don't really like classifying Nessa as "pop" because people assume she belongs with Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, etc. But it should be that they all fit in pop because the genre is so diverse and therefore there shouldn't be any negative connotations attached to the word "pop". That's what sub-genres are for. But at the end of the day, music is music.

Am I making sense?
-CONFUCIUS

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
How would you....
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 10:34:13 pm »
EXACTLY!!! :D   I like certain styles of music and don't like others, but there are several exceptions in both of those depending on the artist.
Dustin

shinessobright

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - shinessobright
    • AOL Instant Messenger - privateradiogirl
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - canyouseemyfirerain
    • View Profile
How would you....
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 11:30:44 pm »
there is no genre that can accurately fit any one artist, unless they truly define the genre. for example, where would you classify 3eb? its really hard, and i hate the fact that people try to do it. the only band that i know defines any category is my chemical romance, and they really define emo to me...

you know, i would classify vanessa as "Just Plain Kickass Music"...
And all the constellations shine down on you and me... and if you don't believe me, just put your hands on me...

"This is a song about relationships that are condemned either by your family, or by the government..." Vanessa Carlton about Who's to Say

Ryou-Neko

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - heavily_toasted_bread@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - damnedColonists
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wirelesswizarding
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carbon-arts.org
    • Email
How would you....
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 03:49:37 pm »
I'd classify it as "Vanessa Carlton". Why limit it to a genre? Let's make her leader of her own genre.
Why don't you come on over? Stop making a fool out of me.