Author Topic: why/when did US change "s" to "z"?  (Read 14919 times)

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
why/when did US change "s" to "z"?
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:46:12 pm »
I've never really understood this.. does anyone really know?

words like personalise, realise, are spelled with a z instead of an s in the united states... why? i know we butchered the language but i just dont understand why we changed the spelling of things? also why did we get rid of the U in honour or colour ? i can't seem to find a good reason for it...
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
Re: why/when did US change "s" to "z"?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 12:43:07 am »
Quote from: "STARGiRL"
I've never really understood this.. does anyone really know?

words like personalise, realise, are spelled with a z instead of an s in the united states... why? i know we butchered the language but i just dont understand why we changed the spelling of things? also why did we get rid of the U in honour or colour ? i can't seem to find a good reason for it...

Well that's an interesting question!!
I found that: http://www.33beat.com/American_English.html
That explains some things, probably not everything though. ;)
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

LimeTwister

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 05:49:32 am »
I don't think there was a distinct time; it just sorta evolved. For example, "today" used to be spelled "to-day," etc.  Not to mention we've been separated from England for a few hundred years, and there has been an influx of other languages.  However, I am no language expert.

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 07:19:25 am »
On the link Ghisy posted:  Merry, marry, and marry are NOT said the same, at least by anyone I know.  Does anyone here do that?  HOW are they said?

How they're said in "these parts":  Merry like ferry, marry like carry, and Mary like dairy.

unsungmelody

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xbrokenxshardx
    • View Profile
    • http://www.icified.livejournal.com/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 07:28:16 am »
I think it's because we didn't want to be similar to the British after the Revolutionary War.

I'll go look it up later.

dA - LJ

LimeTwister

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 08:44:41 am »
Quote from: "TSE"
On the link Ghisy posted:  Merry, marry, and mary* are NOT said the same, at least by anyone I know.  Does anyone here do that?  HOW are they said?

How they're said in "these parts":  Merry like ferry, marry like carry, and Mary like dairy.

*my own edit.

Okay, now for the phonics portion of our show, C is going to show us how ANY of those sound different...

I pronounce merry, marry, and Mary the same along with ferry, carry, and dairy.

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 10:28:22 pm »
For your information, the Americans did not change it.  Neither did they change "colour" to "color".  In Spanish, to realize is "realizar", as is virtually any other word ending in "ize" in American English.  I believe the British lean more toward French etymology where the Americans lean more toward bypassing the French and going straight for Latin.  Of course, if you're still looking for an answer as to why that is, I guess I could finger Noah Webster, who put it into print big-time back in the early days of an America finding its own way in the world.

And by the way, "marry", "merry", and "Mary" sound identical to me.  So do "wail" and "whale", but not "well".  But "chock" and "chalk" are very noticibly different, as are "dawn" and "don".  It actually bothers me when someone pronounces them to where I can't tell the difference.
Dustin

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 06:41:23 am »
Quote from: "unsungmelody"
I think it's because we didn't want to be similar to the British after the Revolutionary War.

Lmao, thats absolutely hilarious. What do you think they did? Sat around and said 'ooh i know what we could do to make ourselves different to that lot, let's change S to Z in every word'? I think not.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Gingernut

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 07:03:57 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"

Lmao, thats absolutely hilarious. What do you think they did? Sat around and said 'ooh i know what we could do to make ourselves different to that lot, let's change S to Z in every word'? I think not.

You forgot to miss alot of U's out :D

LimeTwister

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:16:09 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"

Duh!  lol

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 12:32:14 pm »
Blame Noah Webster.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

unsungmelody

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xbrokenxshardx
    • View Profile
    • http://www.icified.livejournal.com/
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 02:46:28 pm »
I didn't really believe that, but my History teacher just said that and the entire class just took it in.  :oops:

But Will's right. You do have to blame Noah Webster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_english#Differences_between_British_English_and_American_English

dA - LJ

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 10:55:07 pm »
On the link Ghisy posted: Merry, marry, and marry are NOT said the same, at least by anyone I know. Does anyone here do that? HOW are they said?

How they're said in "these parts": Merry like ferry, marry like carry, and Mary like dairy.

Same here, in Australia (and no, we don't talk like "Australians" do in the movies.... at least not in Adelaide... movies with fake Australians make me cringe... their accents are HIDEOUS!)

Okay, now for the phonics portion of our show, C is going to show us how ANY of those sound different...

I pronounce merry, marry, and Mary the same along with ferry, carry, and dairy.

Well, I had an American friend who couldn't pronounce another friend's name, which is Cary. Her name sounds the same as "carry". But the American friend said it like "Kerry", with an "eh" sound after the C. When we told her it was Cary like "Carry", with an "a" sound as in "cat", she argued that it is the same and she couldn't even hear a difference, and got shitty with us. So...? I'm confused because Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City is pronounced "Carry" on the show, but some characters occasionally call her "Kerry". It's so confusing. I mean, I've never heard anyone say "I'm KERRYing a baby" or "I have a pet CET" or anything like that. (Although maybe New Zealanders might say it like that...?) Hmmm. What's the deal with that?
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

LimeTwister

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 03:23:27 am »
I say Carry and Kerry the same...

Not like "cat" though...It's the same name with different spelling.

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 06:21:43 am »
Quote from: "TSE"
On the link Ghisy posted:  Merry, marry, and Mary are NOT said the same, at least by anyone I know.

Native Californians pronounce all three the same way.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne