Author Topic: why/when did US change "s" to "z"?  (Read 14985 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
why/when did US change "s" to "z"?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 10:12:28 am »
Quote from: "MeganJane"
On the link Ghisy posted: Merry, marry, and marry are NOT said the same, at least by anyone I know. Does anyone here do that? HOW are they said?

How they're said in "these parts": Merry like ferry, marry like carry, and Mary like dairy.

Same here, in Australia (and no, we don't talk like "Australians" do in the movies.... at least not in Adelaide... movies with fake Australians make me cringe... their accents are HIDEOUS!)

Okay, now for the phonics portion of our show, C is going to show us how ANY of those sound different...

I pronounce merry, marry, and Mary the same along with ferry, carry, and dairy.

Well, I had an American friend who couldn't pronounce another friend's name, which is Cary. Her name sounds the same as "carry". But the American friend said it like "Kerry", with an "eh" sound after the C. When we told her it was Cary like "Carry", with an "a" sound as in "cat", she argued that it is the same and she couldn't even hear a difference, and got shitty with us. So...? I'm confused because Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City is pronounced "Carry" on the show, but some characters occasionally call her "Kerry". It's so confusing. I mean, I've never heard anyone say "I'm KERRYing a baby" or "I have a pet CET" or anything like that. (Although maybe New Zealanders might say it like that...?) Hmmm. What's the deal with that?

It's the R that throws things off for us.  In Tennessee, you would hear someone say "kerrying a baby", perhaps even "kerrin' a baby" due to lazy-tongue.  In Tennessee (as well as most neighboring states), care is "ker", Clara is "klera", rare is "rer", and ware and where are both pronounced "wer".  But the A before most any other letter is not altered such.  Up north, I've heard people say "beckpeck" for the thing they carry books and stuff in, and in New Zealand, they do say "ket" for the the four-legged critter with pointy ears, whiskers, and a tail.

By the way, here's my Kiwi accent:  My till-i-fa-oon's naut wicking.
Dustin

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 10:59:44 am »
Oh I'm loving this thread!
I'm reading a bunch of interesting stuff about accents :D
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

nat

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - nasty_candido@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/natalinha
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 05:36:02 pm »
well, good question, but i think the culture is not the same in US and england.but, here in brazil we talk portuguese but our portuguese there is some words that are diferent in portugal, and our pronouce is diferent too...

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 11:47:23 am »
Quote from: "Will"
Quote from: "TSE"
On the link Ghisy posted:  Merry, marry, and Mary are NOT said the same, at least by anyone I know.

Native Californians pronounce all three the same way.

yes.. i say them all the same.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 09:04:59 pm »
By the way, here's my Kiwi accent: My till-i-fa-oon's naut wicking.

My... telephone's not...working? Hmmm, took me awhile. Sounds Scottish to me..... but that's from reading, not from actually hearing. Actually, that sounds FAKE AUSTRALIAN! (emphasis on the FAKE.)

Man, this is all so confusing. let's just say all of us are right.

I still don't get how a soft "a" sound as in CAT can sound like "eh" though... but there are many more important things in this life!
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 09:10:49 pm »
I say Carry and Kerry the same...

Not like "cat" though...It's the same name with different spelling.

Actually, it's not. Well, I'm not disputing the fact that maybe for any Cary/Carrie/Kerry/Carey who lives where you are, it is the same, but my friend's name is Cary, like "Carry", not "Kerry", and it has been that way her whole life! I wouldn't tell you how to pronounce your own name.
-CONFUCIUS

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 03:22:09 am »
I still don't get how a soft "a" sound as in CAT can sound like "eh" though... but there are many more important things in this life!

Speak for yourself. This keeps me up nights.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 04:13:31 am »
MeganJane wrote:
Speak for yourself. This keeps me up nights.

LMAO!  :lol:
-CONFUCIUS

coprat24

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - demonofscreaming@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.faceparty.com/rain_king
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 02:25:14 pm »
the whole marry merry and mary thing is just americans pronouncing names wrong.for example the name craig is pronounced creg by americans for some weird reason.the ai is like the e in "hey". oh and that kiwi accent thing is nothing like scottish dude.sorry man,lol.

while i'm on the subject,sort of,my sisters boyfriend was chatting to an american in new york and was asked where he was from.he said scotland and then the american said,"wow,you speak really good english."

which begs the question,do americans even understand what the uk,great britain and scotland,england,wales,northern ireland and the republic of ireland are?

the british flag is made up of the english,scottish and northern ireland flag.wales was just too late to be incorporated into the flag if i remember correctly.

the british isles aka great britain is made up of three countries which are scotland,england and wales. the united kingdom is the united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland.the republic of ireland is not part of the uk.
the sweetest sounds ill ever hear are still inside my head/the kindest words ill ever know are waiting to be said/the most entrancing site of all is yet for me to see/and the dearest love in all the world is waiting somewhere for me.

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Re: .........
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 04:53:28 pm »
Quote from: "coprat24"
the whole marry merry and mary thing is just americans pronouncing names wrong.for example the name craig is pronounced creg by americans for some weird reason.the ai is like the e in "hey". oh and that kiwi accent thing is nothing like scottish dude.sorry man,lol.

while i'm on the subject,sort of,my sisters boyfriend was chatting to an american in new york and was asked where he was from.he said scotland and then the american said,"wow,you speak really good english."

which begs the question,do americans even understand what the uk,great britain and scotland,england,wales,northern ireland and the republic of ireland are?

the british flag is made up of the english,scottish and northern ireland flag.wales was just too late to be incorporated into the flag if i remember correctly.

the british isles aka great britain is made up of three countries which are scotland,england and wales. the united kingdom is the united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland.the republic of ireland is not part of the uk.

the vast majority of us do, but alas - there are stupid people left in the world who do not, such as George Bush, who asked Charlotte Church what state Wales is in.  :roll:

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 05:03:32 pm »

I contend that many do. I also contend that you have no idea what the phrase "begs the question" means.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

coprat24

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - demonofscreaming@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.faceparty.com/rain_king
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 06:13:41 am »
i do,after some research,lol.it's widely used as i used it and is accepted.
the sweetest sounds ill ever hear are still inside my head/the kindest words ill ever know are waiting to be said/the most entrancing site of all is yet for me to see/and the dearest love in all the world is waiting somewhere for me.

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
Re: ........
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2006, 06:36:05 am »
it's widely used as i used it and is accepted.

It's widely used and accepted by people who don't know better. That doesn't mean that the usage is correct. The phrase doesn't even make sense the way you (and others who don't know better) use it. It just sounds like it might.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 07:00:01 am »
Well, I had an American friend who couldn't pronounce another friend's name, which is Cary. Her name sounds the same as "carry". But the American friend said it like "Kerry", with an "eh" sound after the C. When we told her it was Cary like "Carry", with an "a" sound as in "cat", she argued that it is the same and she couldn't even hear a difference, and got shitty with us. So...? I'm confused because Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City is pronounced "Carry" on the show, but some characters occasionally call her "Kerry". It's so confusing. I mean, I've never heard anyone say "I'm KERRYing a baby" or "I have a pet CET" or anything like that. (Although maybe New Zealanders might say it like that...?) Hmmm. What's the deal with that?

I have no pronunciation distinction between Cary and Kerry.  Both are Care-ee.  I don't know anyone who says Kee-ree or anything like that.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 07:03:17 am »

Can you name all 50 US states?

You can't?!?  What kind of ignorant brit are you?!?

See where I am going with this?
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew