Author Topic: Vanessa -->V  (Read 16446 times)

Vanessa -->V
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 08:37:21 pm »
Quote from: "whitehouses81680"
don't u people see?

this new producer is trying to get vanessa a larger fan base by removing the ATM side of her. He's trying to make vanessa a totally new artist, and his was is to get rid of the whole name, but keep the V.

I personally don't know how well its gonna work, but i think it's worth a shot

First off, it's not a producer, it's a label head.

Second, the label head is trying to get her a larger fan base by CHANGING her fan base.

Thirdly, I don't know about you, but I kinda liked the artist Vanessa Carlton...as a matter of fact, I REALLY liked the artist Vanessa Carlton!  If I wanted a "totally new artist" I would have stopped listening to Vanessa and I would have stopped caring about Vanessa and I would have stopped posting here--I would have gone and found myself an actual "new artist."

This is just all so ridiculous to me.  If someone would have told me a few months after Harmonium came out that, by the time her third album came  out, Vanessa would be going by "V" and getting a hand in the studio from "hitmaker" Linda Perry, I would have told that someone to go to hell because Vanessa would never sell out.

But here we are, and if this is true, Vanessa will have gone with hipness over art in both her music and her image.

And there is a difference between people just calling her V (I don't care about that), and using this to change her image to draw in fans that will be more enamoured with her image than her music.

ordinaryday6

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ordinaryday6
    • View Profile
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 09:16:34 pm »
fuck.

i don't believe this. i don't want to..
Samuel
(he/him)

bluebutterfly

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 09:57:49 pm »
you've all said it before. seriously, what the hell, and vanessa better post soon to explain herself.

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
ok...
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 11:42:48 pm »
this may sound crazy...but what if they manage to create a new genre of some kind... victorian goth meets hip hop...
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 11:55:01 pm »
I think "Vanessa Carlton" sounds classy, although "V" is catchy. It sounds a bit silly to use a letter as her stage name, but if it happens and her music is still good, then I guess we will get used to it. If her music takes a hip-hop direction then I probably won't like it much at all. However, from what we've heard of her new material, it doesn't sound like that will happen. I do get Samantha's (WhiteHouses81680) point though. She had so much success with ATM, then relatively no success, and now it would make sense that she would want to start afresh. Obviously ATM will always be her song, but seeing that it was such a hit, people will always expect her to make ATM part two! Maybe she doesn't want to be "The A Thousand Miles Girl" anymore. I don't know if the whole "V" thing would work. Maybe one day she'll move past that phase and she will be "The Artist Formerly Known as V". Or instead she could use a symbol instead of a letter, haha (unicorn comes to mind). Seriously though, I think "Vanessa Carlton" is the best name... after all, it is hers!
:drunk:
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 01:42:03 am »
Meh, I'm not crazy about the whole "V" idea either.  :?
Sure, I call her V sometimes but it shouldn't be her stage name.
Vanessa, if you read us, don't become formatted like those J-Lo and others, PLEASE!
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Sheree

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/yougetme
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 03:24:32 am »
Argh, I'm not liking that idea.   I don't see how a name change could get Nessa a bigger fan base, she's already a well established artist as it is, she just needs promoting to a broader audience.  'Re-branding' her won't help record sales, music sells not a name...
Just wait until she's coming onstage with a huge diamond bling bling 'V' round her neck, a present from her label, eww

~Just a day just an Ordinary Day~

saphire

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 05:06:36 am »
please don't
Tell me it's just a rumour.
When i hear things like this i see terrible things happening to her like happen they  happened to Nelly Furtado and Jewel. Hopefully this going to be the only thing that changes
The unicorns are riding high
Powerful in coats of white
I turn to look and burn my eyes
I carry on, I carry on

Vanity

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 06:50:22 am »
I'm not really crazy about the "V"-thing either. It just doesn't work as a stage name for me.
But then again, it doesn't sound very certain, since the source is a little vague. Whenever the word "insider" is brougt up, I get a little sceptical.

Stay crunchy, even in milk...
- Joss Whedon

Extraordinary Machine

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 07:54:34 am »
I tend to take what "insiders" say with a grain of salt; regardless, I think the important things to consider are whether Vanessa is happy with the album and, to a lesser extent, whether The Inc. will promote it well. It'll be the same album no matter what stage name (or nickname) Vanessa is using.

Vanessa -->V
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 08:10:04 am »
It's not even the simple change of name that directly irks me.  I don't care what she goes by, she's the same person.  What cuts at my heart is the change in promotion that this name change causes.  She's alienating her stongest base fans (I can say this confidently because of the reaction here) in order to pick up a completely new target audience that her label hopes will be bigger than her current niche.  They appear to be looking for the solo Gwen/Nelly Furtado audience.  And, in an effort to do so, they're making Vanessa sell out.

Like I said, I don't care about the name change per se, I care about the reasons behind the name change.  BNN was huge.  Harmonium was mishandled.  People didn't run away because they were tired of Vanessa, they just didn't know there was a new album.  All Irv had to do was put more money and a less half-assed effort behind the real Vanessa Carlton and she would have been fine.  She could sell records based on her talent.  They didn't need to do something like this.

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 08:44:04 am »
I don't like the idea of calling her "V", but if she doesn't repeat the A Thousand Miles success the world will only remember her as a one hit wonder. Now I can't really picture Vanessa doing what Nelly Furtado did because it's too diferent from her style and because she would have to get an all new fan base cuz I'm sure that many of her fans(and I include myself) would stop supporting her on the minute she decided to change.
Don't be so worried, I'm sure that "V" is only a nickname that she uses with her friends and family.

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Vanessa -->V
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 08:52:23 am »
I think you are blowing this out of proportion.

She is changing her title, not her identity!
As long as she still makes kick-ass music, who cares what the hell we call her?

This can't do her any harm, only make her more popular and awesome.

Be happy for this "re-birth" of vanessa, don't be so critical.
Come on, she's nessa...she'll stay true to her own style.

Vanessa -->V
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 08:57:28 am »
Quote from: "ManuelD"
I don't like the idea of calling her "V", but if she doesn't repeat the A Thousand Miles success the world will only remember her as a one hit wonder. Now I can't really picture Vanessa doing what Nelly Furtado did because it's too diferent from her style and because she would have to get an all new fan base cuz I'm sure that many of her fans(and I include myself) would stop supporting her on the minute she decided to change.
Don't be so worried, I'm sure that "V" is only a nickname that she uses with her friends and family.

I'm hoping you're right about the nickname thing.  But, to be honest, I don't care how the world remembers her...the world is stupid.  The world made Ashlee Simpson's debut album a #1 hit.  And I'm not worried about a style change, I just don't like that she would be getting promoted as something she's not.  That makes her phony and that's what I can't stand.  If she really wanted to be a hip-hop artist, so be it.  I would likely not be a fan any more, but I wouldn't lose any respect for her because she's just being herself.  But, if she does this shit and is the same person she always was, that's what pisses me off.  That makes her phony.

And, unfortunately, I could see a way for us to be completely alienated and giving up our support and "V" ending up with an even bigger fan base than she does now...they would just be shallow, fair weather fans who wouldn't stick around for very long.  Then, once "V"'s 5 minutes are up, she'd have to rebuild the burned bridge to us.  I don't know how I'll feel if that happens, but I'm sure there are some fans that wouldn't take her back, and then she would have a real career crisis.

Vanessa -->V
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 09:02:25 am »
Quote from: "whitehouses81680"
I think you are blowing this out of proportion.

She is changing her title, not her identity!

Bringing Linda Perry in the studio, signing to a rap label and changing her name to "V" is more than a title change.  They and/or she is looking to change her entire target audience, not just admit new members to her current one.  Going by just an initial(s) is a hip-hop thing...that's an identity change, not just a title change.