Author Topic: For all the old school nessaholic fans  (Read 56399 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
For all the old school nessaholic fans
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2007, 11:27:39 am »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Quote from: "Gina"
Ohh Tylor, you're not THAT old! :wink:

haha, I'm making fun of steveau....but I am old enough to remember floppy disks being floppy in physical characteristic.  I think that is why they called them floppy.  :?   So yes, I'm that old.  :(   I never walked for seven miles in eight feet of snow though....not that I remember...I did ride my bike in 3 feet of snow for 10 miles though...does that count?  :razz:

They called them floppy because the actual media was soft material, not because the disk casing was floppy.

Before floppy disks you only had hard disks... which were solid metal disks, which is what we still use for hard disk drives or just hard drives.

Of course, this gets confusing now that we have hard drives that are RAM and don't even use spinning metal disks anymore.

There were, at one time, actual floppy disks...that were floppy. They were like 5.25 inch.

Yes, Joey.  I am aware of that.  But I am explaining that the reason they were called floppy isn't because the case was floppy.  It was because the media was floppy.

Which is why the 3 1/4 were still called floppy.

I remember breaking open 5.25 floppies and they were made with a superior form of magnetic tape but instead of being wound up in a spool like in a cassette tape, where you had to fast forward and rewind to get to where you wanted, it was in the disk format so you could access data on any part of the tape you wanted very easily with just a short spin.  I actually had used cassette tapes on my Commodore Vic 20 for that and it was a pain in the arse.  It slowed things down alot.  You had to sit there and wait for your computer to spin the cassette tape for so many minutes to find the info needed.

As I remember, we called them 5¼ floppies, not 5.25. :razz:

And, yes, I had a Tandy (Radio Shack) TRS-80/Color Computer 2 that saved and loaded programs on a cassette tape.  That was a hassle.  And not very dependable, either, so it was always a good idea to save multiple copies, onne after another after another.  I still have the computer, and I have a newer model of the same tape recorder now, and I'm sure I still have the data cable somewhere, but I'm not sure where.
Dustin

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2007, 11:29:28 am »
it saved somewhere i just have to find it. But i use to have all the important threads links saved me and vulture would keep track, i gotta find them and see if i can bump somethign really really old

mike
.........the one and only!

LimeTwister

« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2007, 11:36:42 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"

hahaha...yeah.  I was born in 1988, leave me alone.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2007, 12:02:58 pm »

hahaha...yeah.  I was born in 1988, leave me alone.

I think he was talking to me because I know better.  He's right, we used to call them 5 1/4.  I was just being lazy.  It doesn't matter because it is the same thing, just a convention in a name.  It's like calling 3 1/2 floppies 3.5 floppies.

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2007, 04:31:56 pm »
Quote from: "Gina"
Ohh Tylor, you're not THAT old! :wink:

haha, I'm making fun of steveau....but I am old enough to remember floppy disks being floppy in physical characteristic.  I think that is why they called them floppy.  :?   So yes, I'm that old.  :(   I never walked for seven miles in eight feet of snow though....not that I remember...I did ride my bike in 3 feet of snow for 10 miles though...does that count?  :razz:

They called them floppy because the actual media was soft material, not because the disk casing was floppy.

Before floppy disks you only had hard disks... which were solid metal disks, which is what we still use for hard disk drives or just hard drives.

Of course, this gets confusing now that we have hard drives that are RAM and don't even use spinning metal disks anymore.

There were, at one time, actual floppy disks...that were floppy. They were like 5.25 inch.

Yes, Joey.  I am aware of that.  But I am explaining that the reason they were called floppy isn't because the case was floppy.  It was because the media was floppy.

Which is why the 3 1/4 were still called floppy.

I remember breaking open 5.25 floppies and they were made with a superior form of magnetic tape but instead of being wound up in a spool like in a cassette tape, where you had to fast forward and rewind to get to where you wanted, it was in the disk format so you could access data on any part of the tape you wanted very easily with just a short spin.  I actually had used cassette tapes on my Commodore Vic 20 for that and it was a pain in the arse.  It slowed things down alot.  You had to sit there and wait for your computer to spin the cassette tape for so many minutes to find the info needed.

And, yes, I had a Tandy (Radio Shack) TRS-80/Color Computer 2 that saved and loaded programs on a cassette tape.  That was a hassle.  And not very dependable, either, so it was always a good idea to save multiple copies, onne after another after another.  I still have the computer, and I have a newer model of the same tape recorder now, and I'm sure I still have the data cable somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

I remember taking a computer class in Junior High and using the Trash 80 and we had to call up the internet and put the phone receiver in the modem.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2007, 05:32:59 am »
Quote from: "Steveau"
I remember taking a computer class in Junior High and using the Trash 80 and we had to call up the internet and put the phone receiver in the modem.

Now THAT is old school.  By the time I was using modems they were up to 9600.

But there wasn't much of an internet back then.  There was just FTP and Usenet and those were pretty sparse.  And of course, local BB's, AOL and Sierra Online.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2007, 06:04:20 pm »
i agree with tricia when she said nerds! i am so confused

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2007, 06:18:51 pm »
Quote from: "tricia"
NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you live in texas, darlin.  Bwahahaha

Not my fault!  They paid me the most money!  

I'm moving back to CA as soon as I'm done here.

...y'all!
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

LimeTwister

« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2007, 06:30:26 pm »
You're not allowed to say y'all when you move back...

It's only allowed in this region of the country.

Dj SG

• Make me high on lullabies
    • ICQ Messenger - 178704000
    • MSN Messenger - djsg15@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: October 14, 2007, 02:45:04 pm »
OLD SCHOOOOOL BABY!!!!! :wink:
Carpe'Diem

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2007, 12:21:28 pm »

But there wasn't much of an internet back then.  There was just FTP and Usenet and those were pretty sparse.  And of course, local BB's, AOL and Sierra Online.

I remember connecting my TI99/4A to my black and white TV...  Coding some god awful basic program where letters would "Race" accross the screen.  Then to save it I have to hook it up to my tape recorder and sync hitting record and send at the same time.  I RULE old school PC nerdiness...
-- Jason

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2007, 01:02:55 pm »
Quote from: "PintOGuinness"

I remember connecting my TI99/4A to my black and white TV...  Coding some god awful basic program where letters would "Race" accross the screen.  Then to save it I have to hook it up to my tape recorder and sync hitting record and send at the same time.  I RULE old school PC nerdiness...

That's because you're ancient. :drevil:
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2007, 02:33:19 pm »

That's because you're ancient. :drevil:

hey i wouldn't be talkin, your 4 years from being ancient  :twisted:

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2007, 07:54:31 pm »
Speaking of Old School... NYC in 2003... :)

-- Jason

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2007, 04:28:24 am »
Oh man!  That was SOOOOOOOOOOO much fun!
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness