Author Topic: southern california is on fire. almost every city.  (Read 24704 times)

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
southern california is on fire. almost every city.
« on: October 22, 2007, 03:03:26 pm »
from what i know, Malibu started yesterday, then the OC, irvine, san diego, the san fernando valley, san marcos, fallbrook, fontana, and country canyon. the fallbrook one is about 20-25 mins from me. Seems like my town is the only one thats not too affected, its just REALLY freaking windy here! looks like a storm outside.

Everyone in so cal okay??? hopefully it doesn't get windier tonight cuz i have class tonight. at least i think, my schools site is down for some reason.

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kyyyyyy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 03:42:44 pm »
Do you know how LA is looking? My brother lives there and I haven't been able to talk to him today.
sig & av by natalie, thank you!

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 03:50:46 pm »
i'm not sure, but one of my Paula friends lives in LA & she's fine so your brother should be too. i don't get cable here, so i've just been trying to find stuff online. haven't had time to watch cnn online yet..oh yeah this is probably all over cnn so you can keep up to date there i'm sure.

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 05:51:11 pm »
LA is fine.  It was smelling smoky yesterday, but not today.

joann

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:23:02 pm »
my cousin in san diego is in a shelter tonight

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 06:41:06 pm »
^yeah i think san diego has it the worst.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 07:26:49 pm »
I wonder what the fuel supply was like.  How thick things had grown before the fire, or do they do control burns enough...

When I lived there the Simi Hills burned to a char.

These are extreme conditions but those hills around L.A. are known for fire.

EDIT: Not to be disrespectful to anyone's feelings.

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 09:21:34 pm »
Quote from: "joann"
my cousin in san diego is in a shelter tonight

aww that sucks :(

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 10:05:10 pm »
my boyfriend's family was evacuated from canyon country... they brought their dog to stay at my house last night while they went to a hotel.... my aunt and cousin were also evacuated as well, the tree in their yard caught fire but the fire fighters got it in time.... and a girl i know's house burned down as well as my cousin's school....   its Armageddon in socal! :(
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 10:30:56 pm »
The whole thing is terrible.

Seeing a house or property on fire is a surreal experience, but especially when it has happened to you it really hurts to watch stuff like all the videos out there about this.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 04:55:30 am »
It's not terrible.  It's not terrible at all.

If you choose to live in a place that is subject to wildfires, do not expect me to feel sorry for you when they happen.

Listen, ladies.  Time for an ecology lesson.  The way that section of land works is such that the wildfires actually RENEW the growth.  The plant life there has evolved such that wildfires are part of the renewal process.  Just like winter is to the NE and midwest.

How arrogant would we be if we moved north and then tried to stop winter from happening?

You say "how tragic."  I say "serves you dumb fucks right for living there!"

Do you know why the Wildfires are so massive?  Because we stop all of the little ones.  We try so hard to stop the small fires that when a fire DOES catch, it's MASSIVE.  Immagine a giant damn filling with water, and you just kep making the walls taller to hold it back.  What happens when it breaks?  It's a shit load worse than it would have been if you'd just gotten wet for the last decade.

This is not New Orleans where people moved there then over time the land has been worn away.  People moved to those areas of CA and kept telling themselves "this won't happen to ME!"  Yes.  Yes it will.

And also, stop building your houses on mountains and crying when mud slides occur.  And stop moving into the wilderness and crying when mountain lions eat your dog.  I don't give a fuck.  And no, you don't deserve federal funding.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 05:02:08 am »
Andrew you are the only person i know who gets so riled at even himself posting he could turn an innocent word like dam into damn.
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 06:15:59 am »
Personally, I was just inquiring about it.  Controlled burns do happen.  I've actually been a part of setting up small fires designed to reduce the fuel on the forest floor in the sierra.  And hauling away dead wood for personal firewood by permit from areas designated by the forest service.  In these conditions, before the fire, you could probably hold up a cigarette and it would ignite.

Not to lecture people about living in the backwoods in hillbilly country where people become self-righteous because nothing ever happens there except fried chicken and running to hidden alcohol stills to keep from being bored to death. :wink:

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 07:06:33 am »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
Personally, I was just inquiring about it.  Controlled burns do happen.  I've actually been a part of setting up small fires designed to reduce the fuel on the forest floor in the sierra.  And hauling away dead wood for personal firewood by permit from areas designated by the forest service.  In these conditions, before the fire, you could probably hold up a cigarette and it would ignite.

Not to lecture people about living in the backwoods in hillbilly country where people become self-righteous because nothing ever happens there except fried chicken and running to hidden alcohol stills to keep from being bored to death. :wink:

I can't decide which angle to take here...

First, there's the fact that you just posted a run on sentenace that isn't even actually a sentence.

Second, there's the fact that you obv don't know where Louisville is

Third, there's the fact that even if you were right and I did live out in the country, it wouldn't actually be relevant.

The reason I get so fed up with the "woah is me" atttitude from wildfires, earthquakes and landslides is because these are the same arrogant asshole Californians who 6 months ago were telling me how awesome it is to not have a winter and how they feel sorry for us eastern folk who have to deal with snow.

Yeah, fuck face?  How's that "no winter" thing working out for you now?  Don't gloat when it's nice and then cry when it bites you in the ass.  Nothing is worse than a braggart who can't take it when shit gets flipped on them.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

vcfan

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 07:52:50 am »
The closest fire to my house is about 15-20 minutes away in Irvine.. and I work in Irvine. At home, the weather is HORRIBLE. The wind is out of control and you can't even escape the smoke when you're inside. Yesterday morning I found a dead cat in front of my house... probably because it suffocated or because it inhaled smoke. It was really sad. :(

From my house, you could see a giant (HUGE) cloud of smoke from afar and as I was driving to work yesterday, I was getting closer and closer to it until I realized, crap my work is in it. So all day yesterday and today, I've been sitting inside this smoke cloud and it's hard to breathe. The fire is on the other side of Irvine so they're not evacuating us or letting us leave work. And on top of it all, the wind is crazy. I seriously have never experienced wind like this. My car was swirving on the freeway Sunday night. It looks like death outside. There's just dirt and dust and smoke everywhere. Trees have fallen over, the streets are filled with trash and the sky is brown. It's really scary and depressing.

The reason I get so fed up with the "woah is me" atttitude from wildfires, earthquakes and landslides is because these are the same arrogant asshole Californians who 6 months ago were telling me how awesome it is to not have a winter and how they feel sorry for us eastern folk who have to deal with snow.

Yeah, fuck face? How's that "no winter" thing working out for you now? Don't gloat when it's nice and then cry when it bites you in the ass. Nothing is worse than a braggart who can't take it when shit gets flipped on them.

Whatever, we do have bomb weather. And just because some people here like to brag about it, doesn't mean we deserve to have hundreds and hundreds of homes burn down. I could see your point if we were talking about sunshine and then it rained on us. But we're talking about dangerous fires that have already taken one life and are threatening thousands more. We do have awesome weather most of the time and what is it to you if we brag about it? I can't believe you'd sit there and say that these people deserve to have their lives torn apart.