Author Topic: Will you still be a fan after H&T?  (Read 31554 times)

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Will you still be a fan after H&T?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 11:36:16 am »
Avoid the temptation to get down on Irv.  He has people to answer to and may have been struck down.  The other UMG muckity-mucks may not share his enthusiasm, which sucks but some of them sign the checks, so that is the way it goes.  

My theory is that Irv's coming up with a new game plan. *fingers crossed*

What really bothers me is the mgmt./promoter(s) she's been working with.  She played what, one Joe's Pub gig in NYC for this album, and some other fan-unaffordable charity event or two?  That's insane.  Something has definitely gone south.  

I'd love a comment from VC, at least giving us an idea of what's up, but traditionally it's usually after or right before some big sh** goes down.

Dan/NS

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 03:17:02 pm »
i have grown to like irv, and i think he has something up his sleeve. im crossing my fingers 24/7

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 09:14:23 pm »
This whole thread is very interesting to me. I've been thinking about it for a bit and I have a few more comments.

1) As far as V appreciating her fans, I have it on very good authority she appreciates her fans. She's just not the type of person who's all *HUGS* and kissing babies. I know she appreciates each and every person who shows up to her shows, she just really doesn't put that side of herself out there much, and maybe that is where it comes off that she is aloof, rude, and doesn't care. And as far as saying that V hasn't been though this or that so she shouldn't be rude, etc., we have no clue what her life has been like so saying something like that is pretty much a) a low blow, and b) irrelevant.

2) As far as Irv, my guess is he is back to square one with a new plan for all of his artists. He had a little bit of success with Lloyd, but we know how V's singles have done and Ja's "Body" single bombed worse than both of V's and his album release was subsequently pushed back. I'm sure Irv has the heat on him so he's not going to make any rash moves until the time is right.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2008, 10:32:32 am »
i agree with b. i've been watching this thread, i love the thoughtfulness of everyone who's responded to this very valid question, and i've been thinking about what i want to say.

i'll be a NESSAholic forever. vanessa carlton's music - i have no single reason to love it as much as i do, and though there are qualities of her music that i love that turn up in other artists and other music, nothing quite compares to how vanessa brings it all together.

about vanessa the person - i think she does genuinely appreciate us. :] not just because she should, but i think she really does. and if she comes across as aloof/rude - well, we all have bad days. and again, like b said, we don't know what her life is like. and v seems to be a sweet person in general.

um. and irv gotti! the enthusiasm that he has shown for v is still comforting, even if we're not seeing much of the inc's enthusiasm now. he does have other artists that are facing troubles right now, too, so i guess it's understandable if the inc is not giving v the fullest. though they could at least do some of the basic things. like the keeping up the official website and the myspace.

at least the inc seems to appreciate v and we know they have given her artistic freedom. it doesn't seem like anyone's pressuring her. so i'm going to go cross my fingers as well and hoping that irv just has something else planned.

heroes & thieves is a really good. even if i've been listening to harmonium a lot these days, i think heroes & thieves is very radio-friendly. i believe "hands on me" is radio-friendly. i think it could have been (and with a miracle, still has the tiniest slightest chance of becoming) a top10. so uh, it's not over. :] i think v would really suit a lot of people's tastes if she was more well-known. i mean, intelligent, sweet, piano, very slightly quirky soft poprock? with the whole prevailing scene that's giving sara bareilles and marie digby a chance, i think she would fit fine into it. again, if only she had more promotion.

what i really wish is for some more vanessa-presence. i've dug up a few shows, but they're really not in places i can go to and they haven't been publicized for the people who can go to them. and like everyone said, i really wish she would drop us a line sometime.

and this became kind of lonnnng. i'm such a dork for v.
formerly fish_for__stars.

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2008, 01:41:35 pm »
Quote from: "Laura"
to be honest, i don't even consider myself a fan anymore. the only reason i stick around here is for the idol thread, other artists section & completely off-topic once in a while.

i liked H&T when it first came out, but i have rarely listened to it lately or any of V's music for that matter. i could relate to BnN & Harmonium WAY more than this cd & the music just connected with me more. it sucks cuz i used to be a HUGE V fan & always listened to her music.

also i think another reason why my fandom is dying is because of me becoming more of a Paula Abdul & Criss Angel fan. from experience, they are way more into their fans than V is imo. i've heard some not so great V stories of when people met her where she came across really bitchy to them. i even heard a story from a nessaholic who told her what her music meant to her & stuff & V was like "well that's good" i mean who responds like that? lol. i know she's not always like that, but she just doesn't seem as appreciative as some other artists.

Criss Angel took pics, gave hugs & signed autographs for LITERALLY 1000+ more fans when i met him & does that a lot. & Paula's on the biggest show in the freaking US & is a legend, yet she still took time to come over to me & my friends a couple times during & after the show, hugged us twice, asked our opinion on her new music like she actually cared what we thought & did something amazing for us which i can't talk about lol. even BSB is that way too, they offer soundchecks & meet & greets for their fans & spend forever meeting fans after appearances.

sorry i'm not trying to put V down or anything, just honestly sharing why my fandom is fading. *waits for the backlash*

Laura, I completely agree with your points about how she acts towards fans.

She is not always the most loving person to her fans, which is a turn off for me to like and follow her.

When I went to her concert at the Bowery Ballroom, she REFUSED to have people take pictures of her. She didn't come out after to sign autographs. When I went to see her at the Bitter End, she ran out of the venue.

Also, I think that she is actually moving away from her roots. She's a pop artist from Pennsylvania who is a classically trained piano player. VANESSA: YOU ARE A POP MUSICIAN. EMBRACE IT, DON'T TRY TO CHANGE IT.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2008, 07:59:43 pm »
Quote from: "whitehouses81680"
to be honest, i don't even consider myself a fan anymore. the only reason i stick around here is for the idol thread, other artists section & completely off-topic once in a while.

i liked H&T when it first came out, but i have rarely listened to it lately or any of V's music for that matter. i could relate to BnN & Harmonium WAY more than this cd & the music just connected with me more. it sucks cuz i used to be a HUGE V fan & always listened to her music.

also i think another reason why my fandom is dying is because of me becoming more of a Paula Abdul & Criss Angel fan. from experience, they are way more into their fans than V is imo. i've heard some not so great V stories of when people met her where she came across really bitchy to them. i even heard a story from a nessaholic who told her what her music meant to her & stuff & V was like "well that's good" i mean who responds like that? lol. i know she's not always like that, but she just doesn't seem as appreciative as some other artists.

Criss Angel took pics, gave hugs & signed autographs for LITERALLY 1000+ more fans when i met him & does that a lot. & Paula's on the biggest show in the freaking US & is a legend, yet she still took time to come over to me & my friends a couple times during & after the show, hugged us twice, asked our opinion on her new music like she actually cared what we thought & did something amazing for us which i can't talk about lol. even BSB is that way too, they offer soundchecks & meet & greets for their fans & spend forever meeting fans after appearances.

sorry i'm not trying to put V down or anything, just honestly sharing why my fandom is fading. *waits for the backlash*

She is not always the most loving person to her fans, which is a turn off for me to like and follow her.

When I went to her concert at the Bowery Ballroom, she REFUSED to have people take pictures of her. She didn't come out after to sign autographs. When I went to see her at the Bitter End, she ran out of the venue.

Also, I think that she is actually moving away from her roots. She's a pop artist from Pennsylvania who is a classically trained piano player. VANESSA: YOU ARE A POP MUSICIAN. EMBRACE IT, DON'T TRY TO CHANGE IT.

Do you mean the Bitter End show in '05?  She didn't run out.

Dan/NS

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2008, 08:44:21 pm »
Quote from: "B"
This whole thread is very interesting to me. I've been thinking about it for a bit and I have a few more comments.

1) As far as V appreciating her fans, I have it on very good authority she appreciates her fans. She's just not the type of person who's all *HUGS* and kissing babies. I know she appreciates each and every person who shows up to her shows, she just really doesn't put that side of herself out there much, and maybe that is where it comes off that she is aloof, rude, and doesn't care. And as far as saying that V hasn't been though this or that so she shouldn't be rude, etc., we have no clue what her life has been like so saying something like that is pretty much a) a low blow, and b) irrelevant.

she doesn't have to be all hugs & stuff, i just wish she would act a little sweeter sometimes is all. i get some people aren't into hugging lol. & true we don't know what goes on in her life, but it's not like she gets trashed in the media EVERYDAY like Paula does. if Paula can suck it up for her fans after going through that & Criss can suck it up after only getting 2 hours of sleep, i don't know why V can't.

thank you!! i knew i wasn't making crap up about V when it came to her fans. maybe those were bad days, but that's still kind of messed up she didn't even let you guys take pictures.

Simon Cowell said something recently like "i don't care if people take pictures of me, i'm a celebrity, it comes with the territory" & he's so right imo. especially if it's at an event your fans are at like a concert.

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 08:02:32 am »
Quote from: "nosticker"

Do you mean the Bitter End show in '05?  She didn't run out.

Dan/NS

yeah she did. I was there and I remember literally jumping next to her to get a pic before she sprang out.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 09:27:18 pm »
I was in the back when she came out.  She apologized and said she had to leave.  IIRC she was meeting some family for a party or something.  That was good enough an explanation for me.

Dan/NS

superscientific

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • Bang Bang?
    • MSN Messenger - superscientific@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 01:25:07 pm »
Damn this is a good thread and I have enjoyed reading it.  Me and Brian have talked about this several times and I have to agree with him for the most part.  I get upset when her talent goes to waste because she is just not getting heard as much as she deserves to.  I think H&T for the most part is a great album.  Some production stuff was a little iffy but her talent shows in every album she has done.  IRV GOTTI, now that is a whole different topic but I thought he would at least make a decent come back to the game but damn I never thought it would be this dismal.  Too bad V had to get caught up in that downhill avalanche.  I do hope that IRV has a backup plan.  I would really like to see V comeback strong and what she needs is just one hit song.  I really thought Harmonium had those hits.  That album is so underrated it is crazy.

"you fake like a smile...like a hug I'm tight" - Common "Hungry"
Check out Missy Higgins Music Now!
Myspace!

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008, 12:46:56 pm »
I don't know if I will be.....but why not make a grassroots effort to get her on the radio?  But you need her to be a leader so her career goes in the direction she wants it to go.  She has to try to ramp up the excitement with her fans.  She just needs to take some initiative.  I guess we could start with calling up radio stations.

It is hard work.  There is no democrat liberal initiated, corporate welfare, program for selling your music. ;) LOL  You can't just wait for government issued checks to roll in after you write and produce it.

EDIT:Yeah, my comments are really wrong.  But let's do something about getting her songs out there, for god's sake.

tylor

Martin.

• Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008, 12:53:09 pm »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
I don't know if I will be.....but why not make a grassroots effort to get her on the radio?  But you need her to be a leader so her career goes in the direction she wants it to go.  She has to try to ramp up the excitement with her fans.  She just needs to take some initiative.  I guess we could start with calling up radio stations.

It is hard work.  There is no democrat liberal initiated, corporate welfare, program for selling your music. ;) LOL

We've tried calling up stations and requesting her stuff like crazy. It doesn't work. Either the DJ's don't have the song, or they'll play "A Thousand Miles" instead of what the current single is. There's only so much that we, as fans, can do.

And I know I've said this before, but I really do feel The Inc could do a lot more than they're doing at the minute...A LOT more.

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 01:01:01 pm »
I'm still willing to do flyers, but I can understand why they wouldn't want that.   I'm kind of a fan at arms length right now.

Is there any ideas out there you have seen done to promote an artist we could try?

Maybe if I get a laptop I'll be around more and we could try something.

Martin.

• Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 01:09:05 pm »
I'm not sure there's anything we can do that will be enough to get her out there & noticed again.

If V's trying to get mainstream success, she'll need everyone's input. It doesn't work if one group of people are willing to put the effort in to helping her.

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 01:17:05 pm »
Quote from: "Hazy Eyes"
I'm not sure there's anything we can do that will be enough to get her out there & noticed again.

If V's trying to get mainstream success, she'll need everyone's input. It doesn't work if one group of people are willing to put the effort in to helping her.

I still have my harmonium t-shirt.  I could walk around in that....but that would be a really bad idea...given my current situation....and the fact that I'm probably the most hated person in these parts right now.  So much for that idea...

We need help from her to do anything worthwhile.  We could have a rally, concert, or booth....I don't know.  I'm just going to wait until maybe more people respond to this.

I'm guessing she hasn't even gotten started.  Just wait for Hillary's Campaign to wind down...maybe we will see something after that.