Author Topic: 07/30/08: Irving Plaza NYC (review)  (Read 22852 times)

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
07/30/08: Irving Plaza NYC (review)
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 07:37:17 pm »
thanks for that! oh and I was wondering how many shirts are there? So far I have heard of 2 is that is? not that that is bad, just asking.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 05:24:20 am »
yup, there are two. one is a dark purple tank tank top with the cameo image on it. the other one is the one i bought, olive green with the sparrows and "NESSAholic" on the back.
formerly fish_for__stars.

Unicorn

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 09:18:10 am »
This wasn't one of her better concerts if only for the fact that 1) she was an opener (seriously, why is she opening for anyone not named Stevie or some other more famous/successful artist? How famous is this Joshua guy anyway?) 2) her set was ultra-short and 3) the majority of the audience wasn't there for her - although there was a very good number of Vanessa fans in the audience, we were outnumbered by the Radin fans.

Her voice did seem strained at times and I felt bad for her. It sounded like she had trouble hitting the high notes and I think it cracked several times on her. It didn't help that it was so hot inside. The highlight for me was Home because I finally got to hear that outro live and in person. I got goosebumps. I would have preferred it if she closed her set with Home rather than More Than This.

Alexa was okay, seemed like a cool girl. I didn't bother staying for Radin's set.

I really hope she does her own headlining tour later this year because the last two concerts she did (the showcase at Bowery Ballroom and this past Thursday) have left me unsatisfied because of the short length of the gigs. Here's hoping!

Lastly, while waiting in line outside, I saw a dog that looked like Victor and then I saw this girl wearing shorts, a sleeveless top, and shades and she was looking at her phone. It took me a few seconds to realize it was her, lol. She then casually went in to the venue without anyone noticing/realizing on time it was her. Too funny.

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 01:30:48 am »
haha does anyone have photos of the purple tank with the cameo on it?
Peace
Adriann

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
Peace
Adriann

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 10:32:54 am »
She sang/preformed horribly. She walked onto the stage with such a somber attitude. I had a bunch of my friends with me and they kept saying that she seemed sad.  Who wants to go to a concert where the performer looks like she is about to burst out in tears?

V cracked the first note of White Houses, her opening song. The nolita bridge made the audience laugh when she couldn't sing the high notes.  Why does she write songs that she clearly can't preform live?

Half a Week was my favorite of the night.  The trumpet live was great.  The key of HAW was perfect for Vanessa- the range was low so she didn't sound like an amateur performer trying to sing a song that was clearly bigger than her.

Alexa was awesome.  She was actually BETTER than Vanessa. Her voice was record ready- her personality was bubbly and interesting.

What was up with the guitarist who kept messing up and looking confused?  The drums at the end of Nolita were off.  The violinist was great.

I can't believe she opened for Josuha Raiden. I left before he even came on.

At the end of the night, my friend told me that Vanessa should be performing at Karaoke bars- and the way that vanessa is going I'm starting to believe she's right.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 12:05:41 pm »
at whitehouses81680 - alexa sounds better live. there's a little too much going on when she records for an album. :] i enjoyed her performance too. and i stayed for radin. joshua really is kind of boring, and he really isn't that famous. i agree that v should be opening either for stevie/someone more famous, or she should have headlined this one. i don't really get why she's on a support tour.

i don't think v's song were to blame. and i don't think her songs are "bigger" than her or what she can do. i think it's just the combination of the crazy tour schedule and just being "off" that night. we know v can perform her songs beautifully and live, like on soundstage or star lounge or the birchmere show. and i think even this not-at-her-best performance was pretty dynamic, just because it was v.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 12:07:54 pm »
^I agree, as a person, you make mistakes and you aren't always perfect, she has had great performances in the past and will continue having them in the future.

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 12:48:14 pm »
hah...i didn't even know that it said Nessaholic on the back of the shirt.

Unicorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 02:09:29 pm »
Quote from: "fish_for__stars"
at whitehouses81680 - alexa sounds better live. there's a little too much going on when she records for an album. :]

I actually prefer Alexa's studio songs rather than hearing them live if only because I tend to get bored really fast if the artist doesn't have a drummer with him/her. I do agree that she has a very strong voice live.

ILoveHanson

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HansonGirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 05:20:16 pm »
whitehouses81680 - that's really fucking harsh. why would you say shit like that? what if she reads it? she already feels like no one cares.

whatever, i had a great time. so she didn't hit some notes. so what. sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. she always gives her all, and we always get the real vanessa, happy or sad, good night or bad night, and that's good enough for me.

i gave her a note after the show letting her know how much i appreciate her. i just thought she should hear it. i'm sure she hears it all the time, but i just wanted her to know. i told her i won't see her for a while cuz i'm going on tour with hanson for 2 months, and she said "oh, you always are!" ha. i love her. i'm just sad i spent 2 shows shouting "play the one" and she still didn't. oh well. who's to say was amazing.
*Nicole*

I'm always on the move, my heart is always on the mend

www.twitter.com/hansongirl
www.last.fm/user/ILoveHanson

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 06:29:51 pm »
Quote from: "whitehouses81680"
She sang/preformed horribly. She walked onto the stage with such a somber attitude. I had a bunch of my friends with me and they kept saying that she seemed sad.  Who wants to go to a concert where the performer looks like she is about to burst out in tears?
Why does she write songs that she clearly can't preform live?

Well, she has to do the show, what was she going to do cancel? Sorry it wasn't a perfect show for you. She's human, makes mistakes. Maybe she wasn't feeling well, had a bad day, maybe had some bad news earlier. Who knows?  

Quote from: "whitehouses81680"

I can't believe she opened for Josuha Raiden. I left before he even came on.

Good move on your part. You didn't miss anything.

Thanks for sharing your review.

Quote from: "ILoveHanson"

i gave her a note after the show letting her know how much i appreciate her. i just thought she should hear it. i'm sure she hears it all the time, but i just wanted her to know. i told her i won't see her for a while cuz i'm going on tour with hanson for 2 months, and she said "oh, you always are!" ha. i love her. i'm just sad i spent 2 shows shouting "play the one" and she still didn't. oh well. who's to say was amazing.

I am glad you gave it to her. I am sure she loves to hear it, especially from someone who was there from day 1. I love her too!!  :wink:  And don't feel bad, I spent 7 shows and countless threads asking for PB. She always would say, sorry we didn't do PB, the boys don't know it yet. Then finally, Sept. 1, 2002 she did it for ME!! I will never forget that night in ATL!!

Unicorn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 12:51:55 pm »
Quote from: "ILoveHanson"
i'm just sad i spent 2 shows shouting "play the one" and she still didn't. oh well. who's to say was amazing.

That was you? Sorry she didn't oblige your request but if it's any consolation, it did make for an amusing exchange between you and her.

"Play The One!"
"What, you don't like this one?"

:lol:

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 01:12:31 pm »
^Me and my friend always scream "play come undone" cause she never does it live.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 01:55:34 pm »
hey guys, i really wanted to upload "who's to say" and "hands on me" because as vaderdawsn said, those were the very gorgeous highlights. unfortunately, youtube hates me and it's really not loading. anyone want to suggest a video site or is it okay if i just upload to a sharing site and everyone can download and someone can put it on youtube for me?