Author Topic: 07/30/08: Irving Plaza NYC (review)  (Read 22751 times)

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
07/30/08: Irving Plaza NYC (review)
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:31:53 pm »
wow. yeah. back later with input, but i felt so bad for her at some points.  :[
formerly fish_for__stars.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:26:59 pm »
Thanks for the tease!! Looking forward to hearing more.  :wink:

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:53:19 pm »
i ended up coming back online! so show review!

skye steele was her violinist again, and the guitarist whose name i currently cannot remember.

alexa wilkinson was great - i think she sounds much better live and acoustic - and she went first. i'm still iffy with joshua radin - last because he was headlining - and seriously, he's talented but it sounds like he wrote one song thirty different times in his "whisper rock" style. it all sounded so similar! he came down rocked out at the end though, and that was the best part about his part.

so. vanessa's setlist was something like:

1. white houses
2. hands on me
3. a thousand miles
4. who's to say
5. half a week before the winter
6. heroes & thieves
7. nolita fairytale
8. home
9. more than this

if i messed that up - someone tell me, and i'll edit.

okay. the main thing was that vanessa's voice was suffering tonight. she wasn't hitting most of the beginnings of the phrases in "white houses" (or really, any of the higher notes she has - like the vocalizations in "nolita fairytale" and "heroes & thieves" and the "home" chorus was pretty tough for her tonight) sometimes she was raspy, and sometimes her voice just plain disappeared. she kept having to drink water, and every time her voice disappeared, i winced because i felt so bad for her because she clearly wasn't feeling well.

her tour schedule is frickin' crazy. that can't be healthy at all.

the crowd was nice enough about it, but someone next to me was being kind of nasty.

but i feel she really did perform with a lot, a lot, a lot of heart. she really tried, especially with the voice thing, and i still had a great time and having a heart attack just by being 20 feet away from her. i also think it was an especially lovely rendition of "who's to say" - even with her forcing out the higher notes - and "hands on me" (i have video of both and will upload tomorrow). the friend i dragged along really loved "who's to say" and "nolita fairytale" with the drums. :]

i'm glad someone yelled out "WE LOVE YOU VANESSA" because i think she needed to hear it. (i also heard "we hate stephan!" or "we hate stevie" and i really hope it was the former because we love stevie, don't we?)

i didn't catch v going out. actually, i think alexa was the only artist who stayed. she's very nice, and she had this wacky skirt on that i loved.

anyway - i did see a couple people buying the album when i went to the merch table. the olive green sparrow t-shirts (lol it has NESSAholics on the back!) and the purple tank with the cameo image were being sold as well. i was already wearing a VC tee that i stenciled, but i bought the green one and am wearing it now. pretty comfy :]

i conclude with it was a nice night and i really do hope she feels better soon. we love you, vanessa!

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:30:25 pm »
Quote from: "fish_for__stars"

anyway - i did see a couple people buying the album when i went to the merch table. the olive green sparrow t-shirts (lol it has NESSAholics on the back!)

8O Really?!

Glad to hear she got some love. Cool that Skye was with her. Mark B. is  the guitar guy. Poor V. She didn't sound so great at the SJC show either.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 04:53:32 am »
Quote from: "eclv"

anyway - i did see a couple people buying the album when i went to the merch table. the olive green sparrow t-shirts (lol it has NESSAholics on the back!)

8O Really?!

Glad to hear she got some love. Cool that Skye was with her. Mark B. is  the guitar guy. Poor V. She didn't sound so great at the SJC show either.

oh man! right. mark. sorry mark! :] anyway. the shirt does have NESSAholic on the back (yes, with NESSA in caps!) in the interlude/be not nobody font. i'lll be uploading pictures of the shirt and a couple videos later.

Barry

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:02:17 am »
I was there last night too.  I thought V looked great - drop-dead gorgeous as always, but also happy and seemingly in a very good mood, lots of smiles.
It was a really good setlist.  I loved when Alexa came out to play trumpet on "Half a Week".
Standing on line outside, I was right next to the stage door.  All of a sudden it opened and out came...Vanessa and Victor to go for a little walk before the show  !!   And I was right there !!
Speaking of the line outside...who was the VERY FIRST person at the front of the line ?  Our very own (and also drop-dead gorgeous :wink: ) Nicole ("ILoveHanson" on these boards).  Now THAT'S a "Nessaholic" :lol: .  I showed her my "A Thousand Miles" ringtone :oops:
It's always just great to see the fabulously beautiful and amazingly talented Vanessa Carlton perform live.  She's the best :D  :D

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 08:04:35 am »
i wish someone would put a size small green vanessa shirt on ebay.  :D I really wanted one but they didn't sell it at the concert i went to because it wasn't part of the "official tour"

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:34:51 am »

the shirt does have NESSAholic on the back (yes, with NESSA in caps!) in the interlude/be not nobody font. i'lll be uploading pictures of the shirt and a couple videos later.

Wow! I am very impressed, shocked and happy. I knew she loved us but never really thought she was crazy about that name. She probably still isn't. At the time it fit and I went with it. I can't believe it caught on and stuck all these years. And for them to get it right, NESSAholics makes me even more happy. It's my pet peeve. That and not getting it, BnN. I would love to see a picture.

And of course ILoveHanson was first. Did you expect anything less?

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:51:41 pm »
oh, yeah. of course, vanessa looked absolutely beautiful! how could i forget to mention that. silly me :] and v sounded a little like she was in a hurry but seemed like she was in a good mood. don't get me wrong! i was sympathizing with vanessa, but i still thought her performance - of course - was lovely.

and as for the t-shirt:

i assumed you meant a picture of the back with "NESSAholic" on it? the front looks pretty much like that - it looks like the birds are flying over your shoulder and onto the back. but yes, i'm happy to be identified as a  NESSAholic! :]

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:19:29 pm »
Thanks for uploading that. It's fantastic. I hope she opens the store soon.  :wink:

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 03:04:30 pm »
Great show. I picked up a tank and a t-shirt. I was excited to see VC merchandise :D

Who's to Say, Hands on Me were the highlights. I thought she sounded amazingly intense on these songs.  The HAWBTW duet with Alex was really cool. Home is my favorite song. It was so beautiful with the strings.

VC definitely looked a bit rushed and concentrated a lot of making sure the timing was right with her bandmates.

Someone definitely shouted "we hate Stephen" in the audience. (obviously referring to Stephen Jenkins)
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

SadAsBlue

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 05:15:19 pm »
I want a shirt!!!!!
ENS

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 06:07:14 pm »
how much were the shirts?

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 06:18:50 pm »
SOMEONE BUY A SHIRT IN A SIZE SMALL AND PUT IT ON EBAY?

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 06:33:23 pm »
shirts were $15, the album was selling for  $10.

and when i went, they were out of the size small. i ended up with an extra small but it's not tight at all. :]