Author Topic: Scott Peterson Trial: Penalty Verdict- DEATH!!  (Read 13308 times)

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
Scott Peterson Trial: Penalty Verdict- DEATH!!
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2004, 05:56:07 pm »
Quote from: "em one twenty-five boy"
Also, the prosecution did not show that Peterson was guilty. They just put forward evidence that he acted guilty, not that he actually did something. It's kinda scary that someone can be sentenced to death only on circumstancial evidence.

Anywho... I agree with Andrew. This is gonna be overturned on appeal.

Well, as much as I agree, and as much as you're right... that's not enough to appeal on.  You can't appeal that the jury made a dumb decision.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2004, 08:00:52 pm »
I wasn't saying that the reasons I mention would cause the case to be thrown out on appeal. I think Andrew's reasons are gonna be what fubars this first trial. The judge was trying to get the jury to punch out a verdict asap.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2004, 08:44:53 am »
Quote from: "Katia's Lover"
Also, the prosecution did not show that Peterson was guilty. They just put forward evidence that he acted guilty, not that he actually did something. It's kinda scary that someone can be sentenced to death only on circumstancial evidence.

Well, as much as I agree, and as much as you're right... that's not enough to appeal on.  You can't appeal that the jury made a dumb decision.

Sure you can.  You can get an appeal on any grounds you want to if the appellate court agrees with your reasoning.

Remember, one judge does not have to follow another judges rullings.  Precedence is a guideline for judges, not a requirement.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2004, 11:19:34 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

Sure you can.  You can get an appeal on any grounds you want to if the appellate court agrees with your reasoning.

Remember, one judge does not have to follow another judges rullings.  Precedence is a guideline for judges, not a requirement.

Fair point.  But the chances of an apellate cour overturning a jury's verdict simply because they didn't like the evidence is small.  To overturne a  jury's verdict most of the time you need to show error in court proceedings.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2004, 01:16:24 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

Fair point.  But the chances of an apellate cour overturning a jury's verdict simply because they didn't like the evidence is small.  To overturne a  jury's verdict most of the time you need to show error in court proceedings.

Truth.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2005, 11:43:27 am »
He was formerly sentenced to death today...

from Yahoo:

A judge formally sentenced Scott Peterson to death Wednesday after family members got into a shouting match and Laci Peterson's mother sobbed as she called her son-in-law "an evil murderer."

Judge Alfred A. Delucchi allowed only Laci's family members to speak at the hearing after indicating he believed the death penalty was warranted.

Peterson's father yelled from the audience as Laci's brother, Brent Rocha, spoke to the court, saying "Laci and Conner are the true victims here."

"What a liar!" Lee Peterson said before the judge admonished him and he stormed out of the courtroom. Jackie Peterson, Scott Peterson's mother, also interrupted Rocha but her voice was inaudible.

Scott Peterson, 32, was invited to make a statement. After several minutes of discussion with his attorneys, he declined.

Delucchi denied a defense request for a new trial before upholding the jury's recommendation that Peterson be sentenced to death.

"The court is satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, Scott Lee Peterson, is guilty of first-degree murder" and second degree, Delucchi said, adding that he found the killings "were cruel, uncaring, heartless and callous."

Peterson, shackled at the waist and wearing a dark suit, showed no emotion throughout the hearing.

Peterson will be sent to death row at San Quentin State Prison within 48 hours, said San Mateo County Sheriff's Lt. Lisa Williams. The infamous lockup overlooks the same bay where Laci Peterson's body was discarded.

Laci's mother, Sharon Rocha, sobbed and trembled from a podium as she lashed out at her former son-in-law. Scott Peterson stared back at her without emotion.

"You decided to throw Laci and Conner away, dispose of them like they were just a piece of garbage," she said. "You were wrong; dead wrong."

Dabbing at her eyes with tissues, she called him "an evil murderer."

"The fact that you no longer wanted Laci did not give you the right to murder her," Sharon Rocha said. "She was my daughter ... I trusted you, and you betrayed me ... You betrayed everybody."

Peterson was convicted in November of first-degree murder in the killing of Laci and second-degree murder for the slaying of her fetus. A jury recommended the death penalty a month later.

Rocha spoke to Scott Peterson directly.

"I would hope that you regret the choices that you made. Maybe you don't," Rocha said. "Did you really hate Laci and Conner that much or did you just dislike yourself?"

Peterson's attorney, Mark Geragos, tried to get the judge to allow Peterson's parents, Jackie and Lee Peterson, to speak, on the basis that they were related to Conner.

But the judge said the hearing was an opportunity for Laci's relatives to speak only. He ordered Scott Peterson to pay $10,000 restitution for funeral expenses and an additional $5,000, though the reason for that amount was unexplained.