Author Topic: "Singer-songwriter Vanessa Carlton bitten by 9-month-old pit bull while jogging"  (Read 11908 times)

Lord Star

• Make me high on lullabies
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - solarianni
    • View Profile

Have you guys read about this?

By HOWARD FRANK
Pocono Record Writer
May 07, 2010

Pop songstress Vanessa Carlton set out on her daily run along the streets of Shohola, a rural area about 20 miles outside of Milford.

Her father, Ed, has a home in the Walker Lake community. The neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks, so Carlton runs in the roadway.

About two blocks from her dad's house, Carlton passes a home with three dogs in the yard: A Pomeranian, a Jack Russell Terrier and a 9-month-old pit bull named Bella. The yard is surrounded by an invisible fence.

Bella bolts the yard and bites Carlton on the calf. The singer is bleeding from five puncture wounds, and retreats home.

Two days later after the May 2 attack, Vanessa and Ed Carlton go back to Bella's home and confront its owners, Ben and Jo Anne Teichberg.

"They are branding Bella as a dangerous animal and want her put to death," Ben Teichberg said. "They said because Bella is a pit bull, it is known to be bad."

The victim, Vanessa Carlton, is a 26-year-old singer-songwriter-pianist who spent three years touring with Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks. Carlton's been nominated for three Grammy awards and just released her third album, called "Heros and Thieves."

James Rickert, the dog warden for Wayne and Pike counties, put Bella under a 10-day home quarantine. The dog must be either confined or on a leash during that period.

The quarantine is a precaution against rabies, according to Ellen Howarth, region supervisor for dog law enforcement at the state Department of Agriculture. The Teichbergs must monitor Bella for changes in her health, behavior or attitude. At the end of the 10 days, Rickert will return for a health check. If Bella shows any signs of illness, she'll be sent to the family's vet for an exam.

During the quarantine, Rickert will also check Bella's license and rabies vaccination status. Only under rare circumstances — such as if a dog was found to be dangerous by a court and there was a subsequent attack — will a dog warden ever seize a dog. Even under those circumstances, euthanizing an animal is unusual.

Because there were no witnesses to the incident, it would be up Carlton to file a written statement and no such statement has been filed, Howarth said.

Meanwhile, Carlton continues to recover. She's been seen by a doctor, who is monitoring her for infection. She's also taking antibiotics, according to her father.

Carlton will be notified of the medical results regarding Bella's condition at the end of her 10-day confinement.

And after that, she might have to find another running route.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100507/NEWS/5070360

pswik91

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
oh my goodness.... we have this giant period of time where we don't hear anything and when we do it's about her almost getting rabies from a damn pitbull. i hope she is alright though~!

vttmishere

• Make me high on lullabies
  • do it, do it
    • View Profile
    • Email
^Yep! It's kinda funny, actually, that instead of receiving upcoming album's news we receive this ¬¬

Well, I hope she's ok by now and that she gets 100% so she can finally put an end to our anxiety and release the so-awaited CD!
'can't fight the force of my young beating heart'

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
Vanessa is not 26.

and she did not "just release" something called ""Heros and Thieves.""

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
I laughed out loud at this. Sorry. The article is poorly written and their info is wrong many times.

I hope she's okay, though. Those dogs are NOT a joke.

Nessaholista

Gwen is 26 years old, and she's the one who lives with her parents :) I think this article is about her..

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
I think it's a fake..theres just too many errors....I laughed a bit while reading this lol..i would really like to say that not all pit-bulls are bad....it just depends on how they are raised...I've had 3 in my lifetime and none of them were ever rowdy crazy animals....
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

SylvanHistorian30

• Willing and Able to... Run
  • All I Seem to Feel is Light . . .
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - earl_dominic_18
    • View Profile
    • bishop-myriel43 on deviantART
If I'm not mistaken, she's 29 years old, not 26, and I believe the album's title was "Heroes and Thieves", not "Heros".

Who's this guy's fact checker?

Hope she's alright, though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:25:46 am by SylvanHistorian30 »
Miracles DO happen! =)

View my literary works:
http://bishop-myriel43.deviantart.com/

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
How would the press even find out about this? Seems a little odd too me....unless Gwen did get mistaken for Vanessa which seems like it could happen..they do look a lot alike.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Pushglow

• View Profile
An other source. Mhmm, it delays a little bit the fourth album :(
http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/pop-singer-bit-by-pit-bull-in-pike-county-1.769475

But now, if you want to meet her, you know where you can do your jogging ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:24:28 am by Jérémy »

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
i can see this being posted on perez for some reason.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
no press is bad press right? LOL

I was bit by a dog we were dog-watching on thanksgiving last year...went and got a tetnis shot the next day and they gave me some pills to take once daily....

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Get well soon.

CelestialHorse

• View Profile
Haha. When I read that Vanessa is 26 I was like.. "uh...I know she's older than that D:"

Sucks Nessa got bit, but doesn't she live in NY?

The dog's name is Bella eh? Hm I  wonder what she's named after... ::)