Author Topic: Vanessa announces she is a proud bisexual  (Read 24825 times)

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Re: Vanessa announces she is a proud bisexual
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2010, 08:34:06 pm »
Bisexuality is one of the three sexual orientations recognized by the World Health Organization, pansexuality is a trend.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2010, 01:04:03 am »
I think we can never be so sure of the real reason of her announcement, unless she tells us herself. It is something that only she knows for sure.

IMO, it doesn't matter what that reason could be. I became V's fan because of her music, not of her sexuality. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that's what's in my mind.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

CelestialHorse

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2010, 07:32:55 pm »
Huh, I don't think I heard of pansexual. Heard of Asexual though.

Yeah I don't really care about anyone's sexual orientation either. I just care about who the person is and what they do :D

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 06:26:11 am »
Yeah I don't really care about anyone's sexual orientation either. I just care about who the person is and what they do :D

Exactly my point.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sabasaba

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2010, 06:01:14 pm »
I doubt Vanessa gives a shit so neither should we.

Let the idiots believe what they want.

The fact is, Vanessa has no reason to lie about her sexuality. WTF? Coming out as bi is gonna give her a hit? Please.

The difference between Vanessa & that Kesha girl is that Vanessa told a crowd of people she was bi @ GAY pride. Kesha probably told the papers herself and Katy Perry made a song about it to cause controversy & score a hit.

Those girls are mainstream artists who NEED to sell. Vanessa isn't & doesn't.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't believe Vanessa did it for the attention - that's not her scene. I agree with you completely, she came out at a freaking GAY PRIDE festival. If she wanted media coverage, she'd have sold the story to a magazine like Cameron Diaz or Anna Paquin, but whatever, haters gonna hate. People need to get off her case.

star2b711

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
  • ☮ ♥ VC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2010, 04:38:04 pm »
I personally don't really care what Vanessa (or any other artist for that matter) does in their spare time....I listen to Vanessa because I appreciate her art and her music; not because I am particularly invested in what her personal beliefs or affiliations are.  Now, for the matter of whether this announcement was a so called "publicity stunt"...I really don't think that's simply it; however it may have played a part.  The truth of the matter is that really NONE of us really know what Vanessa's true goal in announcing this was (I mean V is so secretive to begin with, who knows what's going on with her mind and decision making right? ;)) The only reason I bring up the publicity angle at all is because in my opinion that is how the media seems to be spinning it - I don't know how tapped into entertainment "news" everyone is, but I am to some degree and let me tell you V's announcement is popping up EVERWHERE (perezhilton, prime-time E-News anyone?).  All I'm saying is that, with all the heavy press and media exposure Vanessa is now getting - it's not hard to envision some brilliant pr move.  What I DO NOT agree with however, is how the media seems to be lumping V in with other "hip-to-be-bi" artists who I personally think really ARE in it just for the exposure.  Anyways, sorry for the rambling - just trying to convince everyone to have an open mind and remember there are always two sides to a story :)

☮ ♥ VC

Rabbits_on_the_run

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2010, 10:30:14 pm »
that made me laugh, it was on michelle branch's tweeter :

"didnt know you were a BI ? wow" (via @itsmi007) I'm not. That would be my doppelganger @vanessacarlton :)

Lyris

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »
One other thing I have noticed (being European) is the moderate American reaction to any loved/respected figure announcing they belong to a sexuality other than straight. It usually goes something like: "Well, who cares what she does in her private life anyway" or, "Well she's still great". Both indicate a level of latent prejudice on a cultural, but not necessarily individual level.

Quote from: All I Ask 2003
In my opinion, bisexuality is not a legitimate sexual orientation; it is a half-measure for those too afraid to accept themselves as completely homosexual or a way for females to get attention.
That argument doesn't hold a lot of water. The fear of coming out as bisexual is the same as it is for coming out as homosexual. Your average bigot doesn't differentiate between the two. And contrary to how it may appear when you look at the number of female celebs choosing the "bisexual" label, they are both minority sexualities.

As for the original subject of this thread: you know what, I'm not surprised, but I am strangely delighted. There's a certain mild androgyny in her appearance that I've always admired, and I've always found the unashamed sexual honesty in her songs (White Houses springs to mind) incredibly refreshing - especially coming from a country where the media seems to believe that sexual acts are dirty and something to be ashamed of.

Go 'nessa :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:09:28 pm by Lyris »

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
  • Perfect hair, perfect heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 01:31:35 pm »
There's a certain mild androgyny in her appearance that I've always admired, and I've always found the unashamed sexual honesty in her songs (White Houses springs to mind) incredibly refreshing.

I love you.

Lyris

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 08:51:40 am »
Oh you :)

The funniest thing is, she actually "came out" in 2008, at 2 minutes 10 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlB3ZjmqR8w

It's here for you on video: "...relationships not approved of by your mother, or the government. In my case, it's always both. Who's to say?"

Ah well. It's a funny world. I can't wait for her next album.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:08:11 pm by Lyris »

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2010, 10:59:50 am »
^ I remember her saying that. It makes sense NOW, but before I was like 'what the hell is she talking about?!'. I just never got that vibe from Vanessa. At all.

Whether she's straight, gay, bi or whatever else - as long as she's happy, I'm fine with it (not that she needs my - or anyone elses - approval).

Lyris

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2010, 11:47:04 am »
I guess you'd only really get close to figuring out what she was saying if you were that way yourself and had spent enough time thinking about it.

beatriz

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2010, 11:51:15 am »
Yeah, I've been watching some "Who's To Say" performances and also noticed that (but only now I really understand it haha) I thought she only said that to show her support to gays.
There's also the lyrics change at the end: "stand up boy...or girl"

sabasaba

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2010, 11:29:20 am »
Oh you :)

The funniest thing is, she actually "came out" in 2008, at 2 minutes 10 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlB3ZjmqR8w

It's here for you on video: "...relationships not approved of by your mother, or the government. In my case, it's always both. Who's to say?"

I used to do this sort of thing all the time and I became increasingly amazed at how nobody understood what the hell I was saying. Interestingly, the reaction to someone blatantly saying "I'm bisexual" - the only way to make it clear - seems to sometimes get met with comments like "Oh well you don't have to tell us that!", or variations on that theme. We've seen some of them on gossip sites reporting Ms Carlton's news. Really, we don't have to tell you that? Apparently we do...

Ah well. It's a funny world. I can't wait for her next album.

Interesting - thanks for that! I agree with Martin. I had never really second-guessed her whenever she brought up the whole 'relationships not approved by the government or your mother' line - or thought about it, for that matter - but looking back now, it actually kind of makes sense.