Author Topic: Vanessa announces she is a proud bisexual  (Read 24706 times)

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
  • Perfect hair, perfect heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Vanessa announces she is a proud bisexual
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:40:21 am »

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:48:33 am »
Wow. I didn't see that coming.

Pushglow

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:20:50 am »
There were some clues:

- Some gay couples appeared in half of her video clip: "Ordinary Day", "Pretty Baby" and "Hands on Me"
- The lyrics of "Who's to Say" and what she used to say before performing this song ("...does not approved by your mother or the government")
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:37:49 am by Jérémy »

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:25:59 am »
I think Regina Spektor is bi/gay. Not that it has anything to do with V or owt, but this topic just reminded me.

Anyway, good for her. :)

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:51:37 am »
lovely!
formerly fish_for__stars.

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:35:49 am »
same. It took her a long time to come out.. but good for her.

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 01:16:39 pm »

I know!!!!! But I'm so happy for her!!! She is now a the top of my LGBT idols list. Maybe we can get a video with a female love interest for the next album. :D

star2b711

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
  • ☮ ♥ VC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 02:09:33 pm »

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 02:18:02 pm »
Hmm, interesting. I wonder why she finally decided to say that after all this time. She doesn't seem like the type of person who would hold something like that in if it had been on her mind which makes me wonder if it's a new revelation for her or something. My cousin had a very tough couple of relationships and then started dating women because she didn't trust men anymore, I wonder if that is what happened with Vanessa or if she always felt that way.

sabasaba

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 02:35:01 pm »
Why did it take her this long to come out though?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:02:26 pm by Saba »

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 02:56:12 pm »
Some people are gonna be mad about the "tranny" word usage...You'll see...

It's not that i didnt see this coming to be honest but, putting aside the videos, all her lyrics are always super specific in that matter:"boy", "him", "he"... Id be nice to see more of the bi side of V in the upcoming songs, this way i will not have to change the sex genre in my mind xd

I'm happy for her and all : )
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
  • Perfect hair, perfect heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 03:18:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure that she didn't feel the need to "come out" or make a big announcement before. She said it in passing at a show for gay pride to share the love, It's not like she sold out to a magazine or something. I don't wish to presume I know Vanessa, but I can't see her doing this for publicity. She usually shies away from fame. Plus her album won't be out for a while, so what's the point? V isn't really a "celebrity", she's a musician, so why should she "come out"? Who's business is it? It was bound to end up on a few gossip sites but it probably just seemed appropriate to say it during her set. It's just a part of who she is that never needed attention before.

And I don't see why she would feel the need to change the gender references in her songs for anyone. I'm sure if a specific song was about a woman, she wouldn't hide that but, like bisexual girls I know, maybe she has more loving and meaningful relationships with men and not as many with women? When we listen to music, we take what we relate to and apply our own take anyway. It's not up to the songwriter to cater for every listener, because that just wouldn't be possible. She's better being true to herself and writing from her own experiences and how she feels. It's worked well so far!

Love you, Vanessa.

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 03:47:56 pm »
I screamed. I cried. I went nuts when I read this. I have always and will always love her! Her music has just helped me through real tough times of me coming out. To just know that my favorite singer is Bisexual just makes me feel so much more closer to her. I really am proud of her for coming out the way she did. She has always been so secretive about stuff like this. So I just wow. Im like dying right now. I am so proud of her. She is still my number one and always will be : D 

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 03:49:55 pm »
She's not a big celebrity but she is a celebrity and a public figure, and her coming out is relevant because LGBT visibility is very important to end homophobia.

I also think it's important for bisexual women, because lately many pop singers (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Ke$ha) have played the bi card (or the "I'd screw anything that moves" card) just to get attention and get people talking about them; female bisexuality isn't taken seriously anymore. So, when someone like Vanessa (who doesn't use sex or controversy to help her career) comes out, it really is a big deal.