Author Topic: 06/22/11: Jammin Java - Vienna, VA (review)  (Read 26011 times)

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
06/22/11: Jammin Java - Vienna, VA (review)
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:25:33 pm »
Ah, how I've missed the concert call.  8)

Sounds like the NESSAholics in attendance are having a good time. So far I've heard

Dear California
A Thousand Miles
Fairweather Friend
I Don't Wanna Be A Bride
White Houses
Nolita Fairytale
Half A Week Before The Winter
London

I'm sure there are some I missed prior to Dear California, but the crew at the show can update you on those.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:28:43 pm by B »
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Re: 06/22/11: Jammin Java - Vienna, VA (review)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:12:02 pm »
Thanks for the tease!  :P
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

laxbrah826

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 06:27:59 pm »
She played "Fools like Me" as well

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:11:42 pm »
Let us know what kind of merchandise they had at the show besides the Vinyl.
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:26:17 pm »
Gosh, her setlists are so boring. It's the same songs (minus the ones from this record) everytime. What about "Twilight" or "Afterglow" or SOMETHING different, Ness?

I'm glad you enjoyed the show though and had a good experience! Well done for all the Nessaholics who showed up, too.

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:21:11 pm »
The show was great! It was nice to meet a few of you, and put some faces to the names :-) I loved "Fools Like Me" on the rhodes, but I think Marching Line might be my new favorite song by her. She seemed pretty nervous, but sounded great and told some fun stories about a few of the songs. I'm sure she'll only get better with the rest of the tour!

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:25:46 pm »
She played "Marching Line"? I'd hoped she would. Yes!

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »
Martin, I wish she would play some older songs too. Not that there's anything wrong with the ones she's been playing, but maybe, you know, she could slip an older one is instead of A Thousand Miles.  :-\
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 10:06:12 pm »
Martin, I wish she would play some older songs too. Not that there's anything wrong with the ones she's been playing, but maybe, you know, she could slip an older one is instead of A Thousand Miles.  :-\
I would love that :)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:18 am »

It would be nice to have more variety.  I wonder though, if it's been SO long since she has played many of them and that's why she sticks to the ones she has played the most.  Also, like she said, she will be playing ATM for the rest of her career becuase it gave her the "property" to build everything else on.  With that said, I really hope she doesn't play it both nights in NYC and I hope the set lists are different for those of us who are going to both (well, all three actually, though I'm not going to the third).

I hope you all had fun and thank you for sharing the info. Hope to hear more from Ghisy and Kulp tomorrow!
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 01:27:58 am »

It would be nice to have more variety.  I wonder though, if it's been SO long since she has played many of them and that's why she sticks to the ones she has played the most.  Also, like she said, she will be playing ATM for the rest of her career becuase it gave her the "property" to build everything else on.  With that said, I really hope she doesn't play it both nights in NYC and I hope the set lists are different for those of us who are going to both (well, all three actually, though I'm not going to the third).

I hope you all had fun and thank you for sharing the info. Hope to hear more from Ghisy and Kulp tomorrow!

I think that it's her way to give back to the song. It did made her where she is now. But I don't actually hearing it very often now, since she has changed so much in singing the song that it sounds a little too far from the studio version. I love the softness and wise approach she does now.

And I don't think that she'd play older songs as of the moment. She wants to build up for Rabbits, so she's doing most Rabbits song. But maybe later in her tour?

But seriously, I don't expect her now to play her old dark songs. For some reason, I don't think she won't. At least, soon.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 01:47:58 am »
She could replace some of the current songs with different ones then. I put up with it during H&T, but it'll be boring if it's the same songs again for this record. It just irks me. A little variety wouldn't hurt. Especially since she knows she has fans who will see her shows everytime.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 02:42:33 am »

I think that it's her way to give back to the song. It did made her where she is now. But I don't actually hearing it very often now, since she has changed so much in singing the song that it sounds a little too far from the studio version. I love the softness and wise approach she does now.

And I don't think that she'd play older songs as of the moment. She wants to build up for Rabbits, so she's doing most Rabbits song. But maybe later in her tour?

But seriously, I don't expect her now to play her old dark songs. For some reason, I don't think she won't. At least, soon.

I don't mind hearing it either because I haven't listened to it in so long, and I too like the way she is singing it now (ala sunset sessions).
I am kind of kicking myself for listening to the new songs so much because...it's not that I'm sick of them by any means but they are loosing their "newness" and it leaves me wanting more more more!  Also because of this I wish she would play other songs off the album at these upcoming concerts because we've heard the same 5 for awhile..
~Sara~

Capn Davey

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 03:37:50 am »
Great show first show I've been to in a shopping center LOL but that wasn't a bad thing.For those of us who arrived at 6pm or before and were near the door we got to hear some of her sound check while the door was getting new lettering.Small venue seats about 200 they had it set up like a standard concert venue.I was lucky enough to wind up  second row center not bad and a good reason for leaving the house at 4:30 LOL. Didn't see any vinyl records that were spoke of but there were signed posters numbered to I scored one of those. Vanessa started a little late most shows start 15 minutes after anyway she opened with Hands on Me she played A Thousand Miles on her Rhodes keyboard (yeah the squeaky pedal thing no squeekin tonight LOL) Nolita Fairytail as well a couple of cute moments one what she lost her place after starting a song and said is anybody you-tubing this!Another one she had googled her own lyrics and printed them. not criticizing her she said she was rusty(hear we go those squeak again hey no squeak) it was nice to meet a few of you last night once again great show
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:40:54 am by Capn Davey »

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 03:46:59 am »
Lol @ her googling her lyrics & asking if anyone was youtubing it. Haha.