Author Topic: Vanessa Carlton : The New American Goth  (Read 16796 times)

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Vanessa Carlton : The New American Goth
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 02:32:12 pm »
PS tee hee @ the caption under her pic
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2003, 02:32:13 pm »
The recording process is also being filmed for a documentary that will be released with the album next fall.

NEXT FALL NO WAY!

Im intrigued I like a bit of both, dark and "piano recital-y"

I guess we will be expecting a whole new fan range over the next year.

I thought it was getting released early 2004.  I was hoping to get it for my bday. :(

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2003, 02:34:59 pm »
p.s i think that the gothic style they are talking about would not be like Cradle of Filth style which to me is gothic.  Maybe more "wanted" than "pretty baby" i think thats what they mean.

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2003, 03:22:24 pm »
that aticle is strange... lol
Stephen has totally changed Vanessa... i kinda thought he would!
i hope she puts Papa, C'est La Vie, and Afterglow on the album too! those werent mentioned!!
suicide, paranoia? thats a lil scary!

o well... hopefully its good!
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2003, 03:34:17 pm »
Though I happen to enjoy the "goth" look... and some of the music involved...  to be perfectly honest with you, I don't think Vanessa wouldn't know goth if it bit her in the ass.

personally, I think she's starting to sound more dumb with each interview...  Ohh look at me I'm a Wiccan.. I'm soo dark and morbid i must be Goth... but tee hee hee I've been able to kind of just merge the Wicca and the Eighties chick...  I think she is losing her personal identity, her musical identity.. and if she doesn't get a grip fast, this album will flop louder than a fish out of water
-- Jason

loveplasticlove

• Moderators
  • You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - loveplasticlove
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2003, 03:58:26 pm »
WTF?  How do you all know that it is Stephan that has influenced her? I think VC is a big girl and not so easily influenced.
"I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist."  -Marilyn Manson
SuperScientific: I have a eggroll to shove in your rice patty lol

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2003, 04:13:40 pm »
It should be very interesting and yeah, I don't think Stephan is making her do anything. We all know she isn't one to conform and is very much into standing for what she wants. And since there is a film being made we can see exactly how it all came about.

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2003, 04:16:48 pm »
*dies*

Me and Katia may, just may, be on that film
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2003, 04:25:37 pm »
oh yeah, wouldn't that be great... wet hair, wet cloths... random questions... bwahahaha
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

LimeTwister

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2003, 04:54:54 pm »
Quote from: "PintOGuinness"
Though I happen to enjoy the "goth" look... and some of the music involved...  to be perfectly honest with you, I don't think Vanessa wouldn't know goth if it bit her in the ass.

personally, I think she's starting to sound more dumb with each interview...  Ohh look at me I'm a Wiccan.. I'm soo dark and morbid i must be Goth... but tee hee hee I've been able to kind of just merge the Wicca and the Eighties chick...  I think she is losing her personal identity, her musical identity.. and if she doesn't get a grip fast, this album will flop louder than a fish out of water

I agree with Jason on this one...

and who knows what (yes, and if) stephan is giving her.  She is getting odd.

I know most think you should be hardcore fan, and many here are fans of somewhat the "darker" side of music (i.e. evanescence)...but I do know for a fact I bought Be not Nobody because she had me hooked from the first note to the last "tonight" in ATM.  Sure "wanted" is an AMAZING song (comparing what I know from the darkest of her album).  She probably won't lose me as a fan, but I probably won't be seeing her live any time soon...or all this, she has built up a fan base including all ages, this will target mainly the depressed teen audience...my parents don't like the "dark" music (though my dad did listen to ozzy, and listens to pink floyd)...I will buy the album and maybe the DVD, but my parents will not be happy campers...

Like Holly said, suicide? That is creepy, I can't say much because I wrote about it and shared it, but I would never release it as a song (though I thought about sending it to Nessa lol.) It just seems a little odd that she is doing this now, and that A&M is letting her.

Back to what Jason said, Wicca is not dark.  I am not going to act as if I know everything about it, but I have read stuff about it.  It is about being at peace with nature, and doing good for nature, so it will do good for you etc (Not exact, but it's around those lines).  Goth can be Wiccan, but Wicca is white magick.  Goths are usually (sterotyping here) the anti-social dark people, who are depressed and into black magick and satanism...Kinda creepy.  So when she mentions Wicca in a dark sense, it could be dark, but it's not suppose to be.

/rant.

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2003, 06:13:47 pm »
Oh I don't know.  I think Vanessa is your typical 22 year old young lady.  When she turns 40 she is going to be like, "What the hell was I thinking?"  Maybe before that age. She is going thru stages in her life and I can't wait for when she is much older because she is going to write some interesting music, I think.  I do agree with Jason though, she has been seeming to appear just the opposite of what she wants to appear.

I for one am excited for this part of the Vanessa Carlton Legacy.  I can't wait to have two hours of VC to play.  At least albums anyway.

tylor

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2003, 06:22:45 pm »
we're just going to have to wait and see.  I think "goth" is more of a relative term that can take many forms.  I hope Afterglow is on there, i haven't heard it except for that snippet on Duets.  and even though it may seem strange to us because we're not used to seeing Vanessa in this form, it really could be the "real" her and nothing to do with Stephen.  For all we know BnN and VC2 isn't the "real" her at all.  I mean, who are we to say what Vanessa is and isn't?  Just because it's going to be different doesn't mean it's not going to be good.  Artists change and grow constantly, and I think that we all should just embrace this "new" vanessa and then form our opinions after the fact.  Normally I hate surprises, but I am actually looking forward to this one.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

badsrx7

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2003, 06:40:47 pm »
Quote from: "PintOGuinness"
to be perfectly honest with you, I don't think Vanessa wouldn't know goth if it bit her in the ass.

personally, I think she's starting to sound more dumb with each interview...  Ohh look at me I'm a Wiccan.. I'm soo dark and morbid i must be Goth... but tee hee hee I've been able to kind of just merge the Wicca and the Eighties chick...

I agree.

sayyouwould

• MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2003, 07:08:50 pm »
good luck to vanessa with her new album. I'll buy it and the dvd and I'm sure we'll all learn to love it.
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2003, 07:22:30 pm »
If it is indeed goth chances are I'm not going to have anything against it.  If it is written by Vanessa I'm probably going to like it because it is soo deep.  And gawd everyone knows I'm deep.  The only thing that concerns me is certain comments like how it is going to be rythmic....what does she mean by that?  And such things like mistakes are great(or something like that in something else I read; I forget where.)

People have commented about how BNN is like a piano recital(how bad that is and shit like that.)  But seriously, forget those people Vanessa, because your simple so terrible recitals actaully competed with their music.  So even your worst music(yeah right) is just as good as their most well thought out, mature masterpieces; masterpieces my ass  --they wouldn't know really really great music if it bit them in the ass -- to kinda quote jason ;)

My personal wish for your music is that you take more from classical than rock.  They were the REAL masters, not some of this modern music, yes even neil ;) , and certainly not those people under 30 you talk about who need to read a book.  If you do people will always buy your music because it will be great even if they don't know why it is, or understand why it is.

coma white, nicole :)

tylor