Author Topic: Vanessa Carlton : The New American Goth  (Read 16788 times)

LimeTwister

Re: omg i cant believe im reading all this from FANS
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2003, 11:28:59 am »
Quote from: "bumblebee429"
it doesnt matter wat TRL or any1 in the music industry thinks...

well it does if she wants to continue making music, and get paid like she is.

Quote from: "kev222"
here all of u r criticizing somthing u havnet even heard yet!

I think i am the only one HAPPY 2 here shes gone darker??

I think you are the only one not to read the thread properly before replying ;)

-Kev

nor can they use the correct use of "here"...

but I guess it could be good, in a sense.  Because you have strong women like stevie nicks, Cher, and madonna ( ok they last 2 are not good examples but anyway) Stevie is a mystical darkness mixture, and has been an influence for decades.  Cher and Madonna both experiment and have been influences to many for decades as well...

Its just that article was a little funky, and a lot of things were not correct...

I don't know, I just hope this is good for Vanessa, and she starts to actually release stuff soon.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
Vanessa Carlton : The New American Goth
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2003, 11:32:28 am »
Quote from: "I gotta wear shades"
Quote from: "kiisnsync"
maybe Stephen didnt influence her... but it is possible, cause he IS the producer of her album, and she did start changing when they began going out on the GGD/3EB/VC tour, at least thats when i noticed it.

I don't think she is changing.  I think she now has the freedom to be herself.  What you saw before with TRL and such was just an obligation to her label.

She always said that they wanted her to wear less or what not and she refused. I guess to an extent she has/had an obligation. Not sure if it was her label that made her change the divide and conquor line in OD and well the title of her song but she did change it herself to ATFM  :lol: and well she changed her setlist when she felt like it too (which was rare) but I'm just saying. Not to mention at the Virgin Megastore instore she was doing songs not on the album knowing full well her peeps were right there and she knew she might get in trouble. Ok, rambling now...  I will stop.

but yeah

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Re: omg i cant believe im reading all this from FANS
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2003, 11:42:30 am »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
it doesnt matter wat TRL or any1 in the music industry thinks...

well it does if she wants to continue making music, and get paid like she is.

I don't think this is anything to worry about. I listen to some bands that survive on record sales that would easily be considered a flop by Vanessa Carlton standards. They've built up a loyal fanbase and long term careers because they haven't compromised on the music they wanted to put out. I think Vanessa is making the right descision by doing what she wants to do. There's no point having another record if her hearts not in it. Sure, she'll have to take a pay cut, lose some fans and maybe even shift labels eventually. But she's not exactly going to starve. Especially with the momentum (and cash!) from BnN.

If you want a flash in the pan get rich quick "career" then TRL is the place to be. But if (like Vanessa does) you want to last, TRL and the pop-charts are pure poison. That's my opinion anyway.

nor can they use the correct use of "here"...

heh, I can't say anything because I make lame mistakes like that all the time :-\

-Kev

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2003, 12:23:25 pm »
Vanessa is my idol. i loved her music because it had a variety, some was sweet, some was dark, some made you think, and some was rocky. i liked her because she wasn't a rap star, wasn't punk, wasn't heavy metal, the things i don't like. she was unique. and i liked that. kind of looked up to her you know? she inspired me to play piano and write songs. even start singing.

she said her next album would be Beatles-y, and dark. so i'm thinking "ok, this will be different, but still sounds good"

and i read this article this morning, and i almost started crying, i swear. my idol, believes in witchcraft and crap like that? is writting music about suicide and paranoia? i couldn't believe it. this wasn't the vanessa i looked up to. whatever happened to the record being Beatles-y? aren't the Beatles kind of happy, pop kind of thing?? the Beatles aren't goth!!!

i joined these forums, bought her album, became a fan because vanessa wasn't those things in the music buisness that i hated. but now she's really freaking me out and i don't know if i'll be a Vanessa fan when this next album comes out.

i mean, first Arnold wins the election, Vanessa is gothic and believes in Wicca. what's the world coming to?? lol

i don't know if this article means what i think it means, but i don't think it's looking good for vanessa music industry wise. i really can't believe she's saying this stuff. and i know people like the gothic, dark stuff, but i don't, and it really depresses me that my idol has turned into that. her music anyways, i don't know if she's really gothic or not. but yeah, it hasn't been a happy day for me is all i can say. lol. very upsetting to me.

*sigh*

but who knows, maybe things won't be as bad as they seem (to me anyways). guess i'll just have to wait for the album to find out.

Amanda

p.s. this is just my view on the whole thing. don't give me crap because you think differently about this.

LimeTwister

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2003, 12:27:13 pm »
Quote from: "JazzyManda"

i mean, first Arnold wins the election, Vanessa is gothic and believes in Wicca. what's the world coming to?? lol

if one of your big concerns is that Nessa is Wiccan, Wiccan is not all that bad.  Really it's not.

JazzyManda

• AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2003, 12:33:50 pm »
Quote from: "JazzyManda"

if one of your big concerns is that Nessa is Wiccan, Wiccan is not all that bad.  Really it's not.

ok, yeah, maybe it's not too bad, but it sure isn't the Vanessa i thought she was.

Alecs

• View Profile
ummm
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2003, 02:12:13 pm »
I think Vanessa is just searching right now. She practices Yoga and stuff like that to relax. I don't know much about Wicca but I know people who have dabbed with it etc. I don't really have an opinion about it. It's not my thing but...whatever.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2003, 04:24:05 pm »
Wiccans are supposed to be very peaceful and intune with nature from my limited understanding of the belief.

Also, writing about suicide and paranoia are healthy things.  At least she not out there trying to commit suicide or anything.

And of course the Beatle's songs are happy and poppy...they're about drugs.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Angelcorrine

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2003, 04:26:34 pm »
Quote from: "Miss Nessa"
"I'm twenty-three now, and I think I'm more evolved, more secure in who I am. I'm beyond the diary-confessional chapter of my writing. It can get a bit heavy, but it's kind of tongue and cheek at times, and it's not so end-of-the-world."

The article kind of caught me off guard too... but now as I read it again it makes me pretty excited about her next album.  Vanessa is smart - she's not going to put out stuff that will totally alienate her current fans.  Come on, she loves her rabid Nessaholics!  :) We all recieved "She Floats" and all of her other darker tunes with excitement and admiration, and I really think that we'll feel the same about the new stuff.  

I think we also have to keep in mind that a lot of this album was probably written while she was on the road - which I would be willing to bet is a very lonely time for musicians.  I think that this new album will be awesome - it will probably be a lot more mature, but hey - that's good!  She needed to have a chance to stretch out and just be herself - and show what she can do when given a little breathing room.

Besides, "gothic" darker music doesn't have to be radio-unfriendly... Personally I think that good music is good music no matter what the genre.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2003, 04:56:28 pm »
lol... alot of people have quoted and disagreed with me! *hides*
but i hope ya'll dont think that i was saying that i think vanessa has a dif style just cause she's been working with Stephen and that she's copying him! i KNOW she is just finding herself as an artist and ofcourse all artists change. but i was just using influenced lightly, in the fact that i think you cant help to be influenced by someone when you work with them. like look at artists who colaborate with other artists and work with diff producers, it always presents a special and unique sound!
ive loved all the new vanessa stuff ive heard so far!
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

mellsbells12

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - luvabugg12
    • View Profile
hmm..
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2003, 05:15:50 pm »
i like vanessa for who she is...shes like daring to be different and do things that she hasnt done before..or maybe this is something she's done all along but didnt put in the last album because that was more about an adolescent's view of life or something, shes grown now and she has a loving boyfriend..things like that can change a person.

personally when i read her message on 9/8, when she said gothic piano i nearly died of how those two words just like connect together so well.  at first someone could think its scary, it just means like emotional, and more in tune with her thoughts.

this is her album guys, these are her thoughts, i'm sure for all you writers out there its hard to find things that people dont already write about (love, being a somebody)...this is stuff that is actually like true and happening to many people everyday, and this is what makes her happy.

sometimes to make a person happy you think about things that make u upset first and grow from them

i'm just looking forward to the sounds....i didnt really catch the meaning of "she floats" in the 2930820984 times i've listened to it, but now i do, i think it's going to be a little more hidden than u think, i dont think it'll be flat out suicide...

just go with it, its vanessa carlton -- shes changed herself in so many ways, and i know shes changed me

<3 mells

Blake

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LinkinPark.com
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2003, 10:16:12 pm »
ITS SAID IN THE FALL!

Sig & Av By LJ User: Shinodaguitar

Alecs

• View Profile
umm
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2003, 10:35:39 pm »
just sit back and wait for the album...
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

LimeTwister

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2003, 04:10:10 am »
Quote from: "DixieChck615"
Wiccans are supposed to be very peaceful and intune with nature from my limited understanding of the belief.

Also, writing about suicide and paranoia are healthy things.  At least she not out there trying to commit suicide or anything.

And of course the Beatles' songs are happy and poppy...they're about drugs.

very true.

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2003, 05:24:14 am »
hmmm.....remember back in the spring when she mentioned bringing Swindler back for VC2?  I think it's a darkish song, and in the chorus the piano can get pretty heavy.  But now wi thall this "goth" stuff happening, I'm losing hope :?
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach