Poll

A Thousand Miles or White Houses?

A Thousand Miles
34 (58.6%)
White Houses
24 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: August 07, 2004, 12:06:10 pm

Author Topic: A Thousand Miles or White Houses?  (Read 10734 times)

1vcfan

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - amb0431
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - cocoa_covered_nut
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: August 07, 2004, 12:06:10 pm »
Which first single off Be Not Nobody or Harmonium do you like better?

vt

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vt92490
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vahram924
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 12:40:23 pm »
I love White Houses, but I love ATM even more.   :D

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 01:04:03 pm »
Argh its so hard to say! Right now White Houses means everything to me- and is so much more relevant than ATM ever was to me, but i'll always love ATM. I think i have yet to see what happens when the White Houses bug wears off.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 02:00:55 pm »
A Thousand Miles. it's just simply a better song musicaly. lyrics are better in White Houses, but the music matters more to me than the words

not that i don't support White Houses....

Amanda

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 02:03:42 pm »
A Thousand Miles.

I fell in love with the song, then with Vanessa.  <3

As much as I love White Houses, ATM  is what first got me into her  music.

:D

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

1vcfan

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - amb0431
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - cocoa_covered_nut
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 02:36:21 pm »
Yeah, I mean, for me, ATM is what started it all for me.  As good as WH is, ATM will always be top of my list.

xxjenniferxx

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/xsorealx/Jesus.html
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 03:30:34 pm »
atm, that white houses song is not that great

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 04:19:41 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Argh its so hard to say! Right now White Houses means everything to me- and is so much more relevant than ATM ever was to me, but i'll always love ATM. I think i have yet to see what happens when the White Houses bug wears off.

I agree with that. I listened to ATM and White Houses back-to-back the other night to compare them, and I thought I liked WH's better, but that could very well be because when ATM came out I listened to it so much that now it might not be as appealing.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

VanessaLover03

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GodMustHateMe003
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 12:56:29 am »
ATM was the start, you cant beat it, it was that song that made me fall in love with her lol
A Very Proud NESSAholic and NESSAjedi PadVan,
Alex

NESSAholics forever!!!!

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 04:30:29 am »
Quote from: "Tha Blingster"
Quote from: "rosieposy87"

I agree with that. I listened to ATM and White Houses back-to-back the other night to compare them, and I thought I liked WH's better, but that could very well be because when ATM came out I listened to it so much that now it might not be as appealing.

Yeah, i save ATM for very special occasions now where i need revving up for something (like an exam, or a Ball etc) because i don't want it to lose that magic touch- because all songs lose their magic if you play them too much (well, thats certainly the case for me- overplay kills songs again and again). So right now White Houses seems much more appealing- because of the pace, the relevance of lyrics and of course because its the first substantial thing we have heard of Vanessa in a few years but i have a feeling ATM may stand the test of time more than WH.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Tia

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - littlemisscheekylives@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.graphic-interlude.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 05:19:45 am »
A Thousand Miles
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 07:20:04 am »
White Houses is every bit as strong as ATM musically. It's just that lots of the music has been moved out of the piano part to the orchestra and guitar part. The guitar part right before "I can't resist the day" was obviously a piano part originally. If you listen, you hear other parts like this throughout the song, especially with the orchestra at the end. The song also feels fuller to me than ATM and it's catchier. The music also does a crescendo of sorts in intensity and complexity as the song approaches the bridge. The effect is rather powerful and far superior to how ATM is set up where chorus, verse, and bridge really just go from one to another without any anticipation or change in texture. The only place where ATM really has White Houses beat in musical complexity is the recurring descending riff in the right hand. That's more of a solo, however, than anything else. The actual accompaniment is definitely not any more complex than the accompaniment in White Houses.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 07:34:37 am »
Both.  :D
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 08:21:41 am »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"
White Houses is every bit as strong as ATM musically. It's just that lots of the music has been moved out of the piano part to the orchestra and guitar part. The guitar part right before "I can't resist the day" was obviously a piano part originally. If you listen, you hear other parts like this throughout the song, especially with the orchestra at the end. The song also feels fuller to me than ATM and it's catchier. The music also does a crescendo of sorts in intensity and complexity as the song approaches the bridge. The effect is rather powerful and far superior to how ATM is set up where chorus, verse, and bridge really just go from one to another without any anticipation or change in texture. The only place where ATM really has White Houses beat in musical complexity is the recurring descending riff in the right hand. That's more of a solo, however, than anything else. The actual accompaniment is definitely not any more complex than the accompaniment in White Houses.

well in WH the crescendos aren't nearly as powerful as they could be, they seem to die off and it's rather weak.
the music behind the verses leaves the words hanging there, there's isn't enough sound to support the lyrics which leaves the words rather dull musically.
also, ATM had a more recognizable theme which was the descending riff or solo as you put it. i doubt nearly as many people would recognize WH than ATM if you just played the piano part

Amanda

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 08:40:51 am »
White Houses.

I know my friends will laugh at me for listening to it even more than they laughed at me for liking ATM. lol. But I love it, so they can deal with it.

-Kev