Author Topic: Missy Higgins  (Read 34701 times)

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Missy Higgins
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2008, 09:45:10 pm »
Quote from: "superscientific"
Man I am not sure why I never really gave her a try!
I know Katie and a few others tried to get me to listen to her in the past but damn I have been missing out!  Her music is fantastic!  I wish I can catch her on tour here but no where really close besides making a trip to Park West again Brian lol.......You should see her B!

Danny

That's odd you say that D, I actually saw Missy here tonight. The show was awesome. Missy is really charismatic in person and she's got one of the strongest and purest singing voices I've ever heard live. There was so much energy and she is kind of like Anna Nalick (I'd almost say she's a bit better) in that she sounds exactly like she does on CD if not better because of the live atmosphere. I was very impressed.

I managed to snag a setlist because I am awesome like that (that and the fact I was there like 45 minutes before anyone else showed up so I was front row -- sitting on a huge beanbag no less!):

Don't Ever ~ Angela ~ 10 Days ~ Dusty Road ~ Going North ~ This Is How It Goes ~ Where I Stood ~ Any Day Now ~ The Battle ~ Run So Fast ~ 100 Round The Bends ~ Warm Whispers ~ Peachy ~ Special Two ~ Steer

It was pretty cool by the end of the show everyone was standing up by the stage, even though it was a seated venue. I thought that was a novel touch. I didn't really stay around too much after the show but I'm sure she probably came out. I left after about a half hour. I'd definitely see her again!
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Missy Higgins
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2008, 08:39:09 pm »

The lone photo I took at the Missy show, including the heads of the three drunk girls who came up to the front during her set--including one who attempted to share her drink with me  :? lol.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Missy Higgins
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2008, 06:05:42 am »
Quote from: "B"
~ Dusty Road ~ Going North ~ This Is How It Goes ~ Where I Stood ~ Any Day Now ~ The Battle ~ Run So Fast

Nice one B. Pity you missed Sugarcane; that track was awesome live. Can
you enlighten me on the three tracks I've highlighted from Missy's set list?

Peace

Aaron

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Missy Higgins
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2008, 09:09:23 am »
Sadly, I don't remember too much about them since it was the first time I heard them. :(

I know one was a song she did for a movie soundtrack but she said it didn't make the soundtrack. I forget which one that is.

You can find Dusty Road and The Battle on youtube from other US shows.  :)

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Missy Higgins
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2008, 05:45:39 pm »
Thanks for the info. Its nice Missy has added stuff like that to her set list and
it would be awesome if she plays those when next she tours Down Under :thumbsup:

Peace

Aaron

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Missy Higgins
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2008, 03:35:26 am »
Quote from: "NESSAussie"
Thanks for the info. Its nice Missy has added stuff like that to her set list and
it would be awesome if she plays those when next she tours Down Under :thumbsup:

Peace

Aaron

Run So Fast was the movie soundtrack song that didn't make the soundtrack That's on youtube, too.

superscientific

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • Bang Bang?
    • MSN Messenger - superscientific@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • View Profile
Missy Higgins
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2008, 11:26:19 am »
Like a A-hole I missed her show when she was in Nashville.  I regret is so much because She is now my favorite artist.  I have to say she is the most talented artist to surface in the 2000's and I can't believe I missed her.  I hope she comes back around here.  I like the new hair she is sporting!  She is a little tom boy-ish but there she looks great!

Danny

"you fake like a smile...like a hug I'm tight" - Common "Hungry"
Check out Missy Higgins Music Now!
Myspace!

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Missy Higgins
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2008, 09:25:50 pm »
Yeah, she is definitely awesome.

One thing I really like about her live shows is she almost always changes the setlist, so if you were to see multiple shows you most likely would get to see 2-3 different songs each night. That is something I appreciate these days when most artists play the same setlist every night.

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Missy Higgins
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2008, 08:40:27 am »
Quote from: "superscientific"
I like the new hair she is sporting!  She is a little tom boy-ish but there she looks great!
Well put Danny. Some would be much less politically correct with descriptors!

Peace

Aaron

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Re: Missy Higgins
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2009, 10:20:57 pm »
So I saw Missy Higgins last weekend here at the Pabst Theater. The show was incredible. I'm leaning towards top 3 in all of the concerts I've seen. The venue was no flash photography (which was supposed to be no photography, but so many people brought their cameras that all security really could do was tell people not to use flash after they did it eleven billionty times during Justin Nozuka).

The Setlist (or at least as well as I can remember it)

Night Minds
The Battle
Katie
Wrong Girl (w/ Lenka on keyboard)
Going North
Ten Days
Learning to Fly (cover)
100 Round The Bends
Angela
Blind Winter
Any Day Now
Run So Fast
All For Believing
Special Two
Secret
Warm Whispers
Where I Stood
Peachy
Steer

This is How it Goes was on the setlist, as was They Weren't There. Missy did All For Believing instead of This is How it Goes and switched They Weren't There for Night Minds. I didn't get a setlist, but someone who did was nice enough to let me sneak a look at it since I wanted to remember the songs.

Missy seemed to be in a really good mood and was hitting great notes left and right. The running banter was at a minimum, other than her tales of visiting the Milwaukee Art Museum on Lake Michigan and seeing random "green drunk people" in the streets on her way back from the museum (apparently the vogue this year was to celebrate St. Patrick's Day all week). Missy considered these to be the best, and worst, Milwaukee has to offer.

It was awesome hearing Blind Winter live, and the Learning to Fly cover was incredible. Missy and the entire band really jammed out on Warm Whispers, too. In the encore tally column, there was no encore. Missy played almost an hour and a half, Justin Nozuka played for an hour, and Lenka played for a half hour.

I did get to meet Missy after the show, and I apologized on behalf of the random green drunk people. As I said, the venue was no flash, and I was just using my phone so these pictures aren't great, but some pictures are better than none, yes?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:22:47 pm by B »

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2009, 12:35:04 am »
I've been told and told how fantastic she is, now. I saw her like 5 times when she opened for Anna and although I thought she was good, I wasn't all crazy about her. I have friends coming who are there Justin, me for Lenka and them for Missy so I have to stay. I just hope I'm not overly impressed and going to be kicking myself for skipping out early last month. I'll let you know.   

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2009, 10:51:02 am »
I do hope you enjoy the show, Let. I think you'll dig it.

Missy has really grown into her own in the past few years, keeping the musical and vocal talent she always had, while continuing to expand and grow her stage presence.

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2009, 05:24:08 pm »
Onya Brian  8)

Its a pity you missed Sugarcane in that set, but Blind Winter is a fair trade; I would love to hear that live. Cool about the Petty cover  ;)

Peace

Aaron

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2009, 06:59:14 pm »
Yeah, Sugarcane is one of my favorite songs and both times she hasn't played it!

I've seen it enough on youtube though, so I am satiated. I hope she comes back around soon!

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2009, 04:15:44 pm »
omg. my friend just got me into her! I love her music!  = ]

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.