Poll

Do you think it's wrong for a 24 year old to date/talk to/think about being with a person who just turned 16?

Yes
21 (61.8%)
No
13 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: October 25, 2004, 12:57:27 pm

Author Topic: A question about dating.. and age limits.  (Read 12840 times)

Steavis

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Steavis09@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - A+Name+Perhaps
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Steavis09@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
A question about dating.. and age limits.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 06:11:49 am »
I dated a girl who just turned 16 when I was almost 19, the whole idea I personally have is that in a relationship, as long as both sides understand their feelings and truly know what they feel, age shouldn't be a matter...now this only goes so far, don't go dating 4 year olds by that rule, that's just sick
Washington is a dreadfully awful place......this I've learned

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 07:31:16 am »
Quote from: "Steavis"
I dated a girl who just turned 16 when I was almost 19, the whole idea I personally have is that in a relationship, as long as both sides understand their feelings and truly know what they feel, age shouldn't be a matter...now this only goes so far, don't go dating 4 year olds by that rule, that's just sick

19/2 = 8 + 7 = 15.

hmmmm..... 15 and 19 seems a little iffy.  16 and 19 seems perfectly fine to me though.

I always said that if both people are under 21 then the 2 year rule applies.  3 is a little past what I would have recomended.... but it's def not BAD in any way.  The only weird part there though is that you hit the college barrier which makes having something in common kinda hard.

Though, I will admit, when I was 21 and a sr in college there was an 18 year old freshmen who had a huge thing for me that I considered dating.  I did eventually decide it was a bad idea though.

I think all these scenarios are right there in the gray area of ok.

Though, I think the argument here is that a 16 year old cannot possibly have CLEAR feelings involving a 24 year old.  a 16 year old is not mature enough.  Kinda like why 18 is the proper age for contractual responsibility.  Younger than that and anything you sign is void because you're not mature enough to truly UNDERSTAND what you're signing.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Fairy

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilfairydotorg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 08:32:53 am »
And I've had my fair share of online relationships to know that love isn't real, until you've actually been around the person and one weekend doesn't count.

You can't base any real emotions off of something that only exists through a phone line.

.Especially is the girl is 16 and she's young. Her parents are out of their minds to let her even talk to someone on the internet about love/dating/other things of that nature :\.

I just took this to a whole new level of pathetic.

loveplasticlove

• Moderators
  • You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - loveplasticlove
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2004, 09:04:48 am »
I say who cares... as long as it does not concern you do not worry about it.  If this 24 year old is not out to have sex with the 16.... let it be.  Age does not determine the connection people feel.   Just don't break any laws that may land you in jail.
"I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist."  -Marilyn Manson
SuperScientific: I have a eggroll to shove in your rice patty lol

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 09:32:15 am »
Quote from: "Fairy"
And I've had my fair share of online relationships to know that love isn't real, until you've actually been around the person and one weekend doesn't count.

You can't base any real emotions off of something that only exists through a phone line.

.Especially is the girl is 16 and she's young. Her parents are out of their minds to let her even talk to someone on the internet about love/dating/other things of that nature :\.

:)

You're such a good little cynic.

I less than three Cordi.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Fairy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2004, 09:38:39 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

I less than three Cordi.

cn wie date now?!

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 11:40:36 am »

I less than three Cordi.

cn wie date now?!

OMFG!111! ur soooo my e-girlfriend!1 LOLZ!

---Andrew

Fairy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 12:09:37 pm »

I less than three Cordi.

cn wie date now?!

I starred at this for like 30 minutes trying to find your response. :|

OMG LIEK TOTALLY KEWL.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 12:14:28 pm »

I less than three Cordi.

cn wie date now?!

I starred at this for like 30 minutes trying to find your response. :|

OMG LIEK TOTALLY KEWL.

Yeah.  Pwned by quote tags :(

---Andrew

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2004, 06:01:01 pm »
YES!  :oops:

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

Xenophanes

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2004, 06:46:43 pm »
I'm going to say that in general, age gaps don't matter too much, assuming that neither party is still in what might call their "formative years". Medical knowledge shows that one's mind and emotional processing, etc., can still be in development up to around age 25, so I would think one should be cautious when you have people with larger age gaps dating in which one of them is a teenager -- 25ish, as there could be huge differences in maturity between the two.

Jay_Oh

• MSN Messenger - jen@olson.net.nz
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NZGroovage
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nzgroovage/index.htm/
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2004, 10:52:52 pm »
I think once a female hits the age of 16 they all tend to go out with older guys anyways...maturity levels are higher in females as we all know. I don't think there's anything wrong with a 16 year old going out with someone under 23. Infact I'm almost 17 and my boyfriend has just turned 21. I don't consider that a wrong. He never pressures me or anything so I guess it's just a matter of choice between the two people concerned.

Afterglow: Brazil is a forest... bah....
Gingernut: I didnt know brazil had sheep...

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2004, 02:30:30 am »
Quote from: "Jay_Oh"
I think once a female hits the age of 16 they all tend to go out with older guys anyways...maturity levels are higher in females as we all know. I don't think there's anything wrong with a 16 year old going out with someone under 23. Infact I'm almost 17 and my boyfriend has just turned 21. I don't consider that a wrong. He never pressures me or anything so I guess it's just a matter of choice between the two people concerned.

In New Zealand the legal age is younger at the age of 16.  Which drives one of my main points home.  It is not just a matter of emotional maturity but a sign of faulty thinking for a man to date a female under the legal age.  To go out with jailbait IS putting yourself at risk.  For a man to put himself at risk like that is evidence there is something wrong with him and his thinking.  And then factor in the maturity issue.  A man like that is an incompetent man who most mature older women WON'T go out with. Which is why he is going out with the only thing he can get/impress.  In my experience those same men are not only going out with underage women but also making bad judgement calls in other parts of their life, in areas most women still in highschool and living with their parents are not going to see or understand.

Females having higher maturity levels is a bunch of BS in my opinion.  They are just attracted to older men.  Older men are attracted to younger females.  That is it.

tylor

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2004, 06:51:44 am »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
Quote from: "Jay_Oh"

In New Zealand the legal age is younger at the age of 16.  Which drives one of my main points home.  It is not just a matter of emotional maturity but a sign of faulty thinking for a man to date a female under the legal age.  To go out with jailbait IS putting yourself at risk.  For a man to put himself at risk like that is evidence there is something wrong with him and his thinking.  And then factor in the maturity issue.  A man like that is an incompetent man who most mature older women WON'T go out with. Which is why he is going out with the only thing he can get/impress.  In my experience those same men are not only going out with underage women but also making bad judgement calls in other parts of their life, in areas most women still in highschool and living with their parents are not going to see or understand.

Females having higher maturity levels is a bunch of BS in my opinion.  They are just attracted to older men.  Older men are attracted to younger females.  That is it.

tylor

*nods*

Experience > Theory.

Listen to Tylor.  He's speaking from first hand observations of behavior.

---Andrew

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2004, 09:03:38 am »
i'm really not sure...i have a shit opinion of relationships to begin with. but my Nana started dating my Bapa at 18 when he was 28 and they were together until his death. i think it just depends on the people involved.