Poll

Do you think it's wrong for a 24 year old to date/talk to/think about being with a person who just turned 16?

Yes
21 (61.8%)
No
13 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: October 25, 2004, 12:57:27 pm

Author Topic: A question about dating.. and age limits.  (Read 12781 times)

Fairy

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilfairydotorg
    • View Profile
A question about dating.. and age limits.
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:57:27 pm »
Do you think it's wrong for a 24 year old to date/talk to/think about being with a person who just turned 16?

Just askin'

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:59:10 pm »
I fully support the "divide by 2 add 7" rule.

THough, this means arguably I could date a girl who is 19.5 years old.  Which I would still consider too young.

In fact, I DID turn down a chance to be setup with a 19 year old.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Fairy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 01:00:07 pm »
I just think that going after a girl/guy who isn't even out of highschool when you're out of college/haven't been to college and can't rightfully support yourself, is kind of baaaaaaaaaad.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 01:02:03 pm »
Quote from: "Fairy"
I just think that going after a girl/guy who isn't even out of highschool when you're out of college/haven't been to college and can't rightfully support yourself, is kind of baaaaaaaaaad.

My friend Josh is marrying a girl he started dating when she was 17 and he was 22.

Though, frankly, every single one of his friends hates her.... she's insane.  She wasn't looking for a boyfriend, she was looking for a father.

In fact, when they broke up for a few months, she dated a 35 year old.

We expect them to be divorced soon :)

Edit: THe can't support yourself part I think is the worst.  Really, who turns 24 and can't support themselves yet?

I'm 25.  I have a brand new car, I own my own house, I own a portion of the company I work for.  I support myself, 2 cats and a dog.

Sad.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Fairy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 01:02:49 pm »
People are just weird. I don't care if you're 25 with the mentality of a 12 year old, doesn't mean you can date one!

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 01:04:41 pm »
Quote from: "Fairy"
People are just weird. I don't care if you're 25 with the mentality of a 12 year old, doesn't mean you can date one!

I'm 25 with the penis of a 12 yea....

errrr.

Ignore that.

---Andrew

LimeTwister

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 01:20:03 pm »
we needed to know that, andrew...we really did.

and, date your own age..not someone who is 8 years older than you.

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 01:27:23 pm »
go with the 5 year rule...24 can date down to 19...

anyone under 18 years old, 2 to 3 years

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 02:00:41 pm »
"And who is to say?" :wink: Well there's 16 years between Jenkins & Vanessa, they made it work. lol But thats a situation with unique circumatances tho, I'm just giving an example.
As long as no sex is invloved till the one person turns 18, and if they have good chemestry together, its like any other relationship. Most the time I would agree with 5 years plus/minus at least when you're activly looking, but sometimes as we see from Jenkins & VC, if two people have chemestry, something clicks, go for it.

Fairy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 05:45:49 pm »
What could a 24 year old and a girl who JUST turned 16 possibly have in common? Unless he has the mental compacity of a 16 year old boy himself. There's not much there.. if you think so then thats just odd :|.

A 24 year old is pretty much out of school and should be working towards a life goal.. a 16 year old girl is just getting settled with highschool and just starting to learn about boys.

In my opinion any 24 year old that persues someone that age is really off. I've talked to guys older than me, but after a while I would ask myself "what does this weirdo want with me?"

Friends are ok, and with the V and J thing, thats very different.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 10:42:07 pm »
In every case I've personally experienced with my own two eyes, there is something wrong with the 24 year old.  I'VE seen it many many times.  Both when I was younger, at like 16, and older, at around 24.

At that age of 24 there are so many interesting hot and horny women over 18 who want to literally jump down your pants that if the guy decides to take a risk with someone under 18 then there is something wrong with him.

My preference of not dating people younger than me, for instance 19, is simply that; a preference.  Part of which is because I've dated so many 19 year olds that I'm simply so over that age from overkill.  If you eat the same thing all the time you get sick of it.  If I never date another 19 year old in my life, I think I'll do just fine.

tylor

Alecs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 10:54:20 pm »
18 is legal so...
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 12:16:00 am »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
At that age of 24 there are so many interesting hot and horny women over 18 who want to literally jump down your pants

There are?! Sweet. I can't wait until next year :D

-Kev

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 05:26:46 am »
Quote from: "blackvulture"
"And who is to say?" :wink: Well there's 16 years between Jenkins & Vanessa, they made it work. lol But thats a situation with unique circumatances tho, I'm just giving an example.
As long as no sex is invloved till the one person turns 18, and if they have good chemestry together, its like any other relationship. Most the time I would agree with 5 years plus/minus at least when you're activly looking, but sometimes as we see from Jenkins & VC, if two people have chemestry, something clicks, go for it.

I think VC and Stephan easily meet the "divide by 2 add 7" rule though.

See, it's not really about age difference.  40 and 30 seems fine.  20 and 10 does not.

It's about RELATIVE difference.

So, according to the rule, Stephen (who is like 37 no?) should be fine dating anyone 25.5+

Vanessa is 25, no?  So that's right about on the edge of acceptable.

I tend to agree with Tylor on this one though.  Usually there is a maturity issue with the 24 year old.  He/She needs to grow up a LOT if he/she is going after someone that young.  I remember being 16 and my older brothers being 24 and 26 and we had NOTHING in common till after I was about to graduate college.

Edit: BTW, WHO-DEY!

---Andrew

zurielshimon

• AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 05:47:00 am »
Actually, I'm more in support of a Divide by 2 and Add 4 rule, except if one party is younger than 18, in which case the Subtract 4 rule applies.  (The latter part of this rule is based on a law common to many states.)

I'm 25½, and my wife is 19, so that fits the rule easily.
Stephan just turned 40 last month, and Vanessa is 24 and a couple of months.  That so barely, just barely fits the rule.
Dustin