Poll

Do you believe in sex before marriage?

Yes
39 (65%)
Nope
21 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: December 02, 2004, 06:51:45 pm

Author Topic: Sex before Marriage?  (Read 21532 times)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2004, 07:58:35 am »
Quote from: "Gina"
I said Yes.  But it definately does depend on the circumstances.  Two people who have sex, in MY opinion should atleast have given it enough thought as to find out if your partner has any STD's.  I don't believe in random hookups with people who you've just met at a bar or club.

You don't believe in them?  You think people are lying to you about them?  It's a giant world wide conspiracy to fool Gina into thinking random hookups at bars happen, but really they don't!  IT'S ALL A GIANT MYTH!

People who talking about 'no random hookups' are really just saying 'I haven't had one yet, so I am going to condemn them till I do'
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2004, 02:43:30 pm »
Oh trust me, I have good reason to not believe they're right.  Of course they happen, and of course they're always going to happen but... personally I don't ever intend to take someone home from a bar that I just met and have sex with them.  Plenty of people think that's okay, and that's fine- it's a personal choice.  Most people I know that have done it though completely regret it the next day.
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

Rose

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2004, 12:13:13 pm »
Quote from: "Rose"
Just have fun as long as your doing it save :D

I'm gonna get back on what I said.
I still think you should have fun and you should be doing it save, but don't go around bars and pick up guys... Who knows into whatever kind of trouble you're getting. If you know the guy for a long time, and trust him, then you can have all the fun you want... :)  :wink:
home life
my whole life

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2004, 05:51:07 pm »
I've decided I don't want to wait until marriage. But... I definitely going to wait till it's meaningful and i've been in a long term, trusting relationship with someone I love. All I want is my first time to be special. And definitely SAFE!
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2005, 04:27:17 am »
Quote from: "Holly"
All I want is my first time to be special. And definitely SAFE! :thumbsup:

Things are so much more complicated these days :o I can't begin to imagine
how difficult these kind of choices are going to be for the next generation :?

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2005, 05:34:53 am »
Oh trust me, I have good reason to not believe they're right.  Of course they happen, and of course they're always going to happen but... personally I don't ever intend to take someone home from a bar that I just met and have sex with them.  Plenty of people think that's okay, and that's fine- it's a personal choice.  Most people I know that have done it though completely regret it the next day.

You didn't say "I don't believe they are right."  You said "I don't believe in them."

Key difference.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Steavis

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Steavis09@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - A+Name+Perhaps
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Steavis09@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2005, 06:52:10 am »
Quote from: "NESSAussie"
Things are so much more complicated these days :o I can't begin to imagine
how difficult these kind of choices are going to be for the next generation :?

More reason I constantly hit myself for not being born in the 20's
Washington is a dreadfully awful place......this I've learned

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2005, 08:24:00 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

You didn't say "I don't believe they are right."  You said "I don't believe in them."

Key difference.

It's not a key difference, it's a difference of no consiquence. Context (i.e. when people say that they don't believe in sex before marriage, they invariably mean that they don't condone it, not that they don't believe it occurs) and common sense (i.e. the idea that any adult doesn't believe hook ups at bars actually occur is an absurd idea) make it patently obvious what she meant.

Nit picker. Nit picker.

-Kev

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2005, 08:41:14 am »
Quote from: "kev222"
It's not a key difference, it's a difference of no consiquence. Context (i.e. when people say that they don't believe in sex before marriage, they invariably mean that they don't condone it, not that they don't believe it occurs) and common sense (i.e. the idea that any adult doesn't believe hook ups at bars actually occur is an absurd idea) make it patently obvious what she meant.

Nit picker. Nit picker.

-Kev

It is a difference of major consequence.  For those who actually grasp the language, that is.  When I say "I don't believe in Santa Clause", I'm not saying "I don't think Santa Clause is appropriate."  I'm saying "HE DOESN'T EXIST!"

When I say, "I don't believe you."  I'm not saying that you are innapropriate.  I'm saying I don't believe something you have said, done, or in some conveyed to me.

Saying "I don't believe in X" to convey dissaproval isn't even an accepted convention.  It's something said by people who haven't had enough education to know better.

Never leave it up to your audience to infer your meaning especially when your language (when misunderstood) might make your audience think "wow.... what a twit."

It's like saying "irregardless" or "I could care less."  Or using "they" to refer to a single person of unknown gender.  Just because there is a niche of ignorant people who say these things, doesn't make them ok or correct.

This is significantly different form saying "I'll be a monkey's uncle" or "right as rain" even when these statements make no real sense (or at the least, most people don't know what they litteraly mean/meant)... because these are accepted cliches.  The previously mentioned phrases are not.

---Andrew

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2005, 08:52:44 am »
It is a difference of major consequence.  For those who actually grasp the language, that is.

My point is not that you aren't technically correct. You are. What I'm saying is that Gina's intended meaning was completely obvious. So much so that you must have put effort into deliberately misunderstanding her. i.e. Nit picking.

Whether this was was for the purpose of a joke or an attempt to stamp out what you consider to be an unacceptable cliche, I don't know. Either way, it is a tangent point that has nothing to do with her initial statement or the thread focus. Troll ;-)

... because these are accepted cliches.  The previously mentioned phrases are not.

On who's authority?

Edit: Hang on. I use "they" to refer to a single person of unknown gender. Doh.

-Kev

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2005, 01:02:14 pm »
Following the rule on the single subject of unknown gender does make some yucky sentences, especially if you need to refer to "him or her" more than once.

Of course I always follow every rule - yucky or not.

Gina

• View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2005, 02:48:48 pm »

Key difference.

that's not what I meant by it though.  I don't believe in them, as in I don't believe that they should happen.... I didn't think you'd take it so literally.  I'm not stupid, I know that it happens.
Gina

Gina

• View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2005, 02:49:45 pm »

Key difference.

Nit picker. Nit picker.

-Kev

Amen. haha
Gina

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2005, 07:38:20 pm »
I responded to this post once like 6 hours ago... but my PC locked up :(  

SO I am responding again.

My point is not that you aren't technically correct. You are. What I'm saying is that Gina's intended meaning was completely obvious. So much so that you must have put effort into deliberately misunderstanding her. i.e. Nit picking.

Whether this was was for the purpose of a joke or an attempt to stamp out what you consider to be an unacceptable cliche, I don't know. Either way, it is a tangent point that has nothing to do with her initial statement or the thread focus. Troll ;-)

WHatever happened to the aesthetic value of the English language?  Doesn't proper speach have it's OWN value?

Plus, you do risk miscomprehension ESPECIALLY when you introduce non-native English speakers.  Such as Townies.  And never assume gramatically incorrect statements that people in YOUR region are familair with translate to other regions.

We have rules for a reason.

Quote from: "Kev222"
On who's authority?

Mine?

Quote from: "Kev222"
Edit: Hang on. I use "they" to refer to a single person of unknown gender. Doh.

-Kev

Bad Kev.

It's "He or she" not "they"

---Andrew

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2005, 08:41:29 am »
Bad Kev.

It's "He or she" not "they"

Pah, they never taught me that in school. Instead I've got to hear it 7 years later on an internet chat board. It's a small wonder I did so badly in English.

-Kev