Author Topic: The Theme of Death In Vanessa's Songs  (Read 6565 times)

VanessaPiana

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Theme of Death In Vanessa's Songs
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 10:21:15 am »
the other day, i was thinking about the lyrics in the song 'Twilight' [i have the CD, but it's cracked, unfortunately, so i'll have to replace it when i get the chance], and realized that she probably wrote the song when she was stuck in that horrible ballet school. i think it's about being in that stage in your life when you don't know who you are, and not only finding your true calling, but finding out who you really are. :)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 10:42:22 am »
I think you're right on it. :)
Dustin

Turn_on_the_stars

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - onetimewonder@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sarahgcrazy
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - alissa34691
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 07:06:19 pm »
I still think all her songs are lovely no matter how deathly they may be..it just reminds me of how low i get sometimes.
xoxo:sarah  

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 09:30:31 pm »
I like it that Vanessa is not afraid to write about death. It's a very natural topic for artists to explore. We are fascinated by it because it is the unknown.

I think Vanessa said at a concert that She Floats is about a ghost she saw when she was a little girl.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

feishien

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 11:55:09 pm »
Quote from: "MeganJane"
I like it that Vanessa is not afraid to write about death. It's a very natural topic for artists to explore. We are fascinated by it because it is the unknown.

I definately agree. I am fascinated by death and everything that is connected to it. Although, in philosophy class, we discussed death and almost everyone agreed that they were scared of it because it was unknown. I suppose we are fascinated by the things that scare us sometimes.

Quote from: "MeganJane"
I think Vanessa said at a concert that She Floats is about a ghost she saw when she was a little girl.

Oh really? That's really cool.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2006, 04:59:27 am »
Yeah, it was at a concert in Nashville (I downloaded a recording), she introduces She Floats by saying (i've edited out some 'um's:

"so um, I wrote a song about a dead girl... it's about a ghost, really... I used to think that a little girl lived in my closet, and she used to haunt me, and I kinda wrote this song about her. And it was kinda like, this feeling like if I died, sometimes people don't know that they're dead... I know that's really annoying and new-age.... so, she kind of has a secret... and the other way of looking at it is that she has this secret, and everyone thinks she's alive, but she's actually dead... freaky yes, I know... this song is called 'She Floats', and it's about a little girl who wears mary-janes and is possibly dead"  8O hehe
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2006, 01:42:57 pm »
:D I just listened to that whole concert again last night.  She seems to talk so much more when she's by herself.
Dustin