Author Topic: My Vanessa Record Arrived!  (Read 19740 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
My Vanessa Record Arrived!
« on: July 07, 2005, 10:37:19 pm »
I finally have it! :D My "White Houses" 12-inch single came in the mail today! :D Looky, looky:

Notice the anticipated release date which, of course, got pushed back again.

It sounds beautiful! :D

See more pictures here.

In the U.S., you can still order it here, but take note that stock is low.  In the U.K., you can get it here.
Dustin

ScottishKevin

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - ScottishKevin@msn.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Welcome_To_My_Truth
    • View Profile
    • http://fan-sites.org/kelly
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 01:58:53 am »
Wow! That looks great! I'm about to order my copy in the UK! If only she released "White Houses" over here, I'm sure it would have done spectacular! "A Thousand Miles" went down great here, never mind "White Houses"!
"When We Call Someone A "Monster", We Don't Really Know Anything About Them And Categorize Them As A Completely Different 'Species'"

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 05:12:36 am »
I've had this baby for a while ;)
It's great to have a 12" of Vanessa! I wish it had a full cover with the picture though. Guess we can't have it all...
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 05:40:35 am »
I think the beautiful picture label is an extremely nice touch.  Those aren't very common on records.  I remember I had scoured the Internet looking for that sweet voice cut into a piece of plastic for over a year with no luck before chancing on this find.  I'm so glad to finally have it! :D And believe me, black pvc responds very well to her. 8)
Dustin

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 08:10:38 am »
And I'll enjoy my CD with its better frequency response, no warble, and less noise. :)
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 08:48:27 am »
That's awesome! Thanks so much for posting the link; I just bought one.

Si_duffers!

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Simon_duffers@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 09:14:43 am »
it looks beautiful
You say we're too young but maybe you're too old to remember...

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 09:52:36 am »
Quote from: "Will"
And I'll enjoy my CD with its better frequency response, no warble, and less noise. :)

Better frequency response?  Barely!  Unless your needle is dull, a record (especially such a large-groove record as a 12" with only one song on each side!!) will have a frequency response that meets or exceeds that of the human ear.  What more can you ask for?  Second, noticible warble is a sign of poor manufacture or player malfunction, so have that checked out.  And last (but not really last), noise is almost entirely dependent on the playing environment.  Simply breathing while listening to music causes noise to the listener!  And, when it comes down to it, a record can be played without the need of electricity whatsoever, whether piped in from a utility company or generated on the spot. :idea: Besides, until I can get a record cutter for my computer, it's gonna be easier to make a CD from a record than a record from a CD.  And finally, though this particular record is an exception, 12" covers offer a much better opportunity for artwork appreciation than the little 5½" cover sheet on a CD. 8)

Apologies, but I just can't help trying to defend my vinyl! :wink:
Dustin

Emmyspiano

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EmilyRMiller89
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/imaginationplayground
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 10:31:44 am »
zurielshimon, thanks so much for posting this! I just ordered 2 copies :-) only $6.00! what a deal :-)
And if you don't believe me just put your hands on me
I see the dalai lama, I feel him blessing me

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 10:47:16 am »
Yes, I believe they were about $8 before I suddenly found them on an apparent clearance sale after returning from the Tower Records in Nashville, who didn't have it in stock (though they had a White Stripes LP and a Robert Johnson LP I wanted).  Now they're only 79¢! :D
Dustin

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 10:51:23 am »
You really didn't want to do this.

Quote from: "zurielshimon"
Better frequency response?  Barely!  Unless your needle is dull, a record (especially such a large-groove record as a 12" with only one song on each side!!) will have a frequency response that meets or exceeds that of the human ear.

Not quite, although this is a common myth. Sure, most records can easily reproduce 40 Hz to 20 kHz. It doesn't mean the frequency response curve is gonna be anywhere near linear. In fact, the curve is tweaked intentionally near the lower end to prevent the needle in the record player from shaking out of the groove! To make up for this roll off, RIAA equalization is applied to restore the original sound, amplifying turntable rumble and noise in this range.

Second, noticible warble is a sign of poor manufacture or player malfunction, so have that checked out.

Records warp just because of changes in temperature or humidity. This causes noticible warble over time, even with the best equipment.

And last (but not really last), noise is almost entirely dependent on the playing environment.  Simply breathing while listening to music causes noise to the listener!

I'm talking about a higher noise floor inherent in the format. You obviously don't know what "noise" means in this context. I don't mean background noise. I mean static. I mean hiss. Electrical noise and noise from the imperfections of the needle itself in the case of records.

And, when it comes down to it, a record can be played without the need of electricity whatsoever, whether piped in from a utility company or generated on the spot.

And I have a discman that plays for 40 hours with two AA batteries. Who really cares about independence from the power company? I'd rather have fidelity over the ability to listen without electricity.

And finally, though this particular record is an exception, 12" covers offer a much better opportunity for artwork appreciation than the little 5½" cover sheet on a CD. 8)

Does that make up for the crappy sound reproduction inherent in the format?

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 10:59:44 am »
Quote from: "Will"
You really didn't want to do this.
man ear.

Not quite, although this is a common myth. Sure, most records can easily reproduce 40 Hz to 20 kHz. It doesn't mean the frequency response curve is gonna be anywhere near linear. In fact, the curve is tweaked intentionally near the lower end to prevent the needle in the record player from shaking out of the groove! To make up for this roll off, RIAA equalization is applied to restore the original sound, amplifying turntable rumble and noise in this range.

Records warp just because of changes in temperature or humidity. This causes noticible warble over time, even with the best equipment.

I'm talking about a higher noise floor inherent in the format. You obviously don't know what "noise" means in this context. I don't mean background noise. I mean static. I mean hiss. Electrical noise and noise from the imperfections of the needle itself in the case of records.

And I have a discman that plays for 40 hours with two AA batteries. Who really cares about independence from the power company? I'd rather have fidelity over the ability to listen without electricity.

Does that make up for the crappy sound reproduction inherent in the format?

It's all about the aesthetics of the thing!  Geez! :razz:

Plus, I said these records have larger grooves.  Larger grooves and more space allows for better bass and reduction of rumble.
Dustin

Si_duffers!

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Simon_duffers@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 12:52:57 pm »
Look everybody- Vinyl's are better! Ask you dad! Seriously though you'd rather listen to Sgt. Peppers on vinyl than c.d and it just gives a different feel listening to it on a record and it can't be beat!
You say we're too young but maybe you're too old to remember...

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 01:11:01 pm »
Quote from: "Si_duffers!"
Look everybody- Vinyl's are better! Ask you dad! Seriously though you'd rather listen to Sgt. Peppers on vinyl than c.d and it just gives a different feel listening to it on a record and it can't be beat!

It's nostalga. People have been listening to that music in that format far longer than they have been listening to it in a digital format. They like the harmonic distortion and such present in the older equipment and formats. I can understand people wanting to listen to older stuff on vinyl. It's part of the sound. Just don't claim that vinyl is technically superior to modern digital stuff, because it 'aint.

What got me in this thread is that Vanessa's stuff has been recorded and mastered in digital. The target format is CD. Any vinyl release will be of lower quality than the original CD. If I want all the distortion and noise, I have effects processors I can use to recreate that. *yawn*. Vinyl releases of newer stuff are wastes of money, unless you scratch.

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 01:47:20 pm »
Vanessa's back...in POG form!

(vague Simpsons reference)

Nice artwork! Thanks for posting the pics.
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home