Author Topic: Vanessa has written songs with the Matrix  (Read 13307 times)

nat

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - nasty_candido@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/natalinha
Vanessa has written songs with the Matrix
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2005, 09:25:02 am »
well, i think that vanessa don´t need them to make good music, but they are good and i´m very curious about it.

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2005, 11:33:37 am »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
She didn't write the lyrics at all???

I'm sure she assisted but I can tell you that the majority of those lyrics were written by Stephan.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

Harmonium

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2005, 12:52:08 pm »
Quote from: "amberbeads"
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
She didn't write the lyrics at all???

I'm sure she assisted but I can tell you that the majority of those lyrics were written by Stephan.

How do you know that...?

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2005, 01:31:01 pm »
Number one, he's credited to have helped write those songs. Number two, he doesn't play piano so he didn't write the piano part. Number three, I'm a huge Third Eye Blind fan and it's obvious to me what Stephan wrote and what he didn't. Number four, lyrically, those songs are MUCH different from the ones Vanessa wrote herself.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2005, 03:39:55 pm »
They co-wrote those songs. You can even see in "pleased to meet you" when they are working with "who's to say" togheter. Stephen didn't write all of those lyrics himself...  And you say that he wrote annie, white houses, who's to say and most of the parts on private radio. So what if you are a huge third eye blind fan. You have nothing to confirm that this is true...  

Number one, he's credited to have helped write those songs. Number two, he doesn't play piano so he didn't write the piano part. Number three, I'm a huge Third Eye Blind fan and it's obvious to me what Stephan wrote and what he didn't. Number four, lyrically, those songs are MUCH different from the ones Vanessa wrote herself.

reveng_desire

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - sammy0190@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpiratiesAnon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - reveng_desire
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Matrix
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2005, 03:48:25 pm »
Quote from: "liquidblue244"
iknowwhatyoudid said,
LoL wasn't somebody saying they thought the new CD would be called "Fontella" ?

That was actually me, it was a dream I had.  I dreamed that she had named her 3rd album Fontella, and I couldn't remember where I had heard the name from

lol Zach...awww...hehehe
Do You Notice How Many Lonely Hearts Are LUNATICS Out There??

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2005, 05:56:44 pm »
Quote from: "Harmonium"
They co-wrote those songs. You can even see in "pleased to meet you" when they are working with "who's to say" togheter. Stephen didn't write all of those lyrics himself...  And you say that he wrote annie, white houses, who's to say and most of the parts on private radio. So what if you are a huge third eye blind fan. You have nothing to confirm that this is true...

Why it matters that I'm a huge fan is because I know how to recognize his writing style.
Honestly, Vanessa can cowrite with whoever she wants. If she wants to let other people write parts, she can. It's her music. Get over it, she doesn't have to do it ALL herself. It's like you're just in denial or something. She is not a musical genious; she is not a goddess. She is just a nice girl who likes to sing and play piano and some people like listening to her.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2005, 04:36:03 am »
Did I say that i wanted her to to everything herself? No.. I told you that i thought you where wrong when you said that Stephen wrote all of those songs "Himself"...

Why it matters that I'm a huge fan is because I know how to recognize his writing style.
Honestly, Vanessa can cowrite with whoever she wants. If she wants to let other people write parts, she can. It's her music. Get over it, she doesn't have to do it ALL herself. It's like you're just in denial or something. She is not a musical genious; she is not a goddess. She is just a nice girl who likes to sing and play piano and some people like listening to her.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2005, 07:50:10 am »

I'm with Harmonium on this.  Apart from having been a fly on the wall during the writing/pre-production/recording process, there is no way anyone could know FOR SURE.  As a 3rd/SJ fan, you have an edge over non SJ fans in recognizing his style, but what you may think is an SJ line could just be his influence on her.  It happens when ppl work together for so long.

Dan/NS

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2005, 11:23:44 am »
You don't see the extreme difference in lyrical styles between those songs and the rest of Harmonium and BNN?
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

anycon

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2005, 12:13:27 pm »
It's like you're just in denial or something. She is not a musical genious; she is not a goddess. She is just a nice girl who likes to sing and play piano and some people like listening to her.

Shattered I am lost/Bitter is the frost...
VC = master sempstress of songtime

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2005, 02:13:50 pm »
You don't see the extreme difference in lyrical styles between those songs and the rest of Harmonium and BNN?

Sure!  I also hear differences in the drum sound and the use of major seventh chords, but that's not what I'm talking about.  The best one can do outside of Vanessa and Stephan is INFER that a lyric(or chord) is from one or the other.  

Are you correct?  Probably, but not enough to "know" it for a fact.  I'm not saying you are definitely incorrect, it's that, in the process of writing songs and producing, things get melded together.
Hell, the engineer at the session could have suggested a lyric or structural change.  There is no way to know for sure...that is my only point.

Dan/NS

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2005, 02:46:08 pm »
I was also told by 3eb's management that Stephan wrote those songs. But whatever. It doesn't matter, you can believe what you want.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Vanessa's Writing Style
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2005, 04:28:49 pm »
Well I would have to say that Vanessa's writing style has changed just a tad, listen to her recent live songs and you'll see why.  I don't think it is safe to say that Stephen wrote most of the songs on the songs he co-wrote with her, you have to realize that the songs Vanessa wrote herself were older than the ones with Stephan, this being because she played them live and stated she was writing new songs before they came out.  I have to say that it is possible he could have highly influenced her writing style, they are dating so it is likely, and knowing how Vanessa is, she probably wrote most of them, she doesn't like co-writing, and I assume that she wouldn't want some-one contributing more than herself on one of her songs.

But that's just me.

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2005, 05:55:56 pm »
I was also told by 3eb's management that Stephan wrote those songs. But whatever. It doesn't matter, you can believe what you want.

First you say you can recognize SJ's style, then you say you were told by 3eb's management......so which is it?  And what would you expect THEIR management to say, anyway?

For me, it's at best a curiosity who wrote what.  The differences stick out more to you than I.  For me, I think there is quite a blend, which to me is a sign of a great producer.  Mind you, I'm not a 3eb fan, but I've been a fan of music long enough to recognize that while the lyrics got a bit deeper on Harmonium, the songs did not make a serious left turn that would confuse the songs with that of Elvis Costello or Neil Finn.

Do I believe that SJ wrote the majority of the songs on which they collaborated?  No.  My gut instinct is that he wrote a bridge here, a chord there, etc., which an album producer often does.  And he deserves credit for that.  Add to this that they were a couple and most certainly influenced each other, likely played chord sequences to each other, and that is what you get....a collaboration. The songs fit right next to the other VC songs, yet are different enough to make one say "F**K! I had no idea there could be so much variety on a modern pop album!"

Stephan did a f-ing brilliant job with this album, and it was a tragedy that it was overlooked.  I don't know what he wrote or didn't write.  I do know that this was one of his finest moments on all fronts.

Dan/NS