Author Topic: Download *M-A-K-E-L-O-V-E-T-O-M-E* HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 59334 times)

jsbachsonata

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - jsbach_sonata@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jsbachsonata
    • View Profile
Download *M-A-K-E-L-O-V-E-T-O-M-E* HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2007, 09:55:43 pm »
I am extremely happy to know that Vanessa has finally compromised to further her career in the pop world. Some months ago some people were pouncing on me when I said that vanessa had to somehow change her approach or learn to deal with more collaborations to reach a wider "money making" audience. Now that she's done this I guess everyone doesn't have much of a problem with it anymore :) Anyways, this is great news. Vanessa has really grown the most in this stage and I can see her using this as a great opportunity for her music.

However, I am not saying this song is good. To be honest, I have to say it's a piece of trash, but if people dig it, then good for them-- we all have our tastes and I respect that. There seems to be a trend for low fi, simple retro sound with quite unsophisticated lyrics in the rap world today (e.g. Gwen Stefani, Nelly furtado's Man eater... and countless nasty songs that I am not going to name). As a jazz and classical composer, rap has just been stripping and stripping away so many elements of good composition...

BUT considering the pop world's status right now, I would say Vanessa is making a very smart move, and I cannot wait the day when she comes back into the spotlight. Big congrats to Vanessa.

If you want you can visit http://jsbachsonata.blogspot.com for an in depth commentary on this new song and current pop trends in general... Warning: the blog post contains very strong views and as a vanessa fan you may be offended so read at your own discretion.

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2007, 11:17:24 pm »
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"
There's a lot of people here who are saying Vanessa is just experimenting with the RnB style etc., but, if you look at the big picture, you'll see something else.

She's whoring herself for Gotti who's pimping her to the bubble-gum demographic that she lost due to the poor promotion of Harmonium.

I'm not saying anyone forced her to do this, and she probably had some fun in the process, but the reason it was done has everything to do with image and business and nothing to do with art or exploring a new genre.

I also understand that her actual album won't sound anything like this, but some of the songs might be ruined by overproduction.  The track I heard that Linda Perry produced sounded more like something I'd expect from a crappy Lindsay Lohan album than something from Vanessa.  There were so many extra bells and whistles added to the song that I felt the emotional power of the lyrics were utterly decimated.  I'm hoping the Stephan-produced songs will sound better.

I would have no problem with any of this is I truly felt that it was just a natural musical progression, but there's way too much "other stuff" that's been going on with Vanessa for me to convince myself of that anymore.  

I know this is all pretty harsh, but I've been a big Vanessa fan and Harmonium is still my second favorite album, and I haven't really seen this perspective on the goings on stated in a direct manner, so I figured I'd share my less optimistic take on things.

IMO, Vanessa's white coat has finally turned red.  :(

Feel free to take shots at my opinions starting....now!  :lol:

VANESSA WANTED TO DO IT IRV DID NOT WANT HER TO DO IT!!!! STOP ASSUMING
Peace
-S

reveng_desire

• MSN Messenger - sammy0190@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpiratiesAnon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - reveng_desire
    • View Profile
    • Email
uhhh
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2007, 11:21:01 pm »
ummm...errr.....

its....

ummm...

i dont know what to say.
Do You Notice How Many Lonely Hearts Are LUNATICS Out There??

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2007, 01:31:28 am »
this is SO funny!  I really love this thread and the fact that it's 7 pages in such a short period of time.  I think that is really cool because it shows how many people totally CARE about Vanessa enough to voice an opinion.

I have some thoughts on the entire thread.

First off, there is NO WAY to draw a parallel to Dido and Eminem.  Dido has been INSANELY successful with both of her albums and I *personally* think Eminem really did a lot to help her career get started but she has carried it on her own.  The rap industry is huge right now and Vanessa would be crazy to ignore it... also, now seems to be the time for collaboration between hip-hop and anything else.  Remember though, Eminem sampled Dido's song "Thank You" (it wasn't something "featuring" Dido) and Eminem already had a huge footprint.

Secondly, there is no way to compare what Vanessa is doing with Nelly Furtado.  Nelly released her single with Timbaland who (like Eminem) has a huge footprint already.  Who is Channel 7?

Third, i think Irv is awesome.  He is totally right that this single won't do anything to hurt Vanessa's image for anyone new and that his only concern is with the 'hard core' fans.  In the end, Vanessa is just a musician, there has been so much ad-hoc collaboration where artists bump into each other in the studio and get sampled on each others CDs.  Nelly released a cover of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy and she recorded "All Good Things" with Chris Martin.  I think the average population likes hearing their artists explore different music genre's and a small subset of the population will judge Vanessa for it, i think it is well worth the risk.  Everything I have seen Irv do seems to be in Vanessa's best interest... FINALLY a label that is HELPING her!!!  Also, she needs to target the younger generation if she wants to sell albums... that is where the business is... and that just happens to be where hip-hop is.  The cool thing is if they can use Vanessa to bring to the younger generation music other than just hip-hop!

Anyone that thinks Vanessa was "forced" to do this is crazy.  She has a volitional consciousness.

As for my opinion on the song, i agree with Tricia... Vanessa cracks me up!  It was totally her!  One thing i've always like about Vanessa is her voice is unique.  The only thing I think Irv and team could do better to "soften the blow" with the hard core Vanessa fans is not spring it on people.  Start the discussion earlier with a slight heads up.

I don't think I will listen to this song very often but it has all the right components to be successful.  The beat is catchy; the lyrics are repetitive and not very complex, etc.

I think it's important that we HELP Vanessa make this a success which means we stand behind her, help promote this single and get the momentum going prior to HER CD being released.

\m/ on Vanessa!

-katia

p.s. Nelly Furtado's new style is cool.  Her songs are catchy and the beats are tight.
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2007, 01:32:32 am »
Gee, whizzicals, y'all!  Y'all had me worried there.  It's not nearly as bad as you had me thinking.  Although had I heard it elsewhere, I wouldn't have picked out Vanessa's voice until toward the end.  I have to say she sounds downright yummy in this track.  I would say it seems to have more of a sci-fi/action beat to it than hip-hop, exactly.  She just sounds so yummy! :D
Dustin

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2007, 02:00:56 am »
Quote from: "kaysha"
Anyone that thinks Vanessa was "forced" to do this is crazy.  She has a volitional consciousness.

As for my opinion on the song, i agree with Tricia... Vanessa cracks me up!  It was totally her!  One thing i've always like about Vanessa is her voice is unique.  The only thing I think Irv and team could do better to "soften the blow" with the hard core Vanessa fans is not spring it on people.  Start the discussion earlier with a slight heads up.

I don't think I will listen to this song very often but it has all the right components to be successful.  The beat is catchy; the lyrics are repetitive and not very complex, etc.

I think it's important that we HELP Vanessa make this a success which means we stand behind her, help promote this single and get the momentum going prior to HER CD being released.

Agreed on all accounts.  :)
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

Promiscious-boy

• MSN Messenger - Barmy-For-Music@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Perfectlyin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2007, 03:12:44 am »
My God... Vanessa is turning into a Nelly Furtado

I love this Aussiebrit... 50% from Australia, and 50% from United Kingdom

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2007, 04:02:14 am »
Quote from: "Promiscious-boy"
urgh

explain yourself?  if you insist on posting this, explain WHY you think Vanessa is turning into a 'Nelly Furtado' and also please let me know WHY you think it is a problem if she displays any similarities to Nelly Furtado?

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

amberbeads

• AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2007, 05:36:03 am »
perhaps he is referring to the off-beat folksy singer-songwriter all of a sudden singing sexy songs to get more attention.
i see the parallel but i'm not criticizing. they are free to make whatever music they want and vanessa is not taking this route with her album, so i don't see the big deal.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

charmedguy18

« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2007, 09:23:20 am »

This coming from someone with the screen name Promiscious-boy.

God.

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2007, 10:13:31 am »

Dude, she is not. Irv told us Vanessa was 100% ok with doing the feature on Channel 7's single.
I think she even said she had fun doing it. This is the Vanessa we know and love.
To quote Katia: "Anyone that thinks Vanessa was "forced" to do this is crazy. She has a volitional consciousness"
Amen to that.
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

clamicas

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - claricecassou@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2007, 10:21:21 am »
I haven't made up my mind 100% about this,but here is what I think...

The song is...not that great(as I read many of you agree), I don't even think it is that catchy (I've heard it about 3 times, so maybe by the 20th time it will become catchy?)
But the problem is, I feel this is one of those songs(like tons of other out there) that underestimates both the hip-hop/rap audience as well as the pop/singer-songwriters fans, it's is not that different in style, rythim, lyrics,content, nothing. Maybe an amazing video could help the song, who knows?.We've heard this sound before in diferent voices, so I understand v might want to have her version of it to help her carrer a little, it's not a big deal...I just feel like I(personally) shouldn't praise this song or listen to it just because vanessa is in it, I'm not here to blindly or deafly support and promote something I don't like.
But I'm sure this has nothing to do with her album, so let's just wait for that to come out before any further judgment.

LimeTwister

« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2007, 10:46:28 am »
the m-a-k-e-l-o-v-e-t-o-m-e is catchy...

but so is b-a-n-a-n-a-s.

« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2007, 11:07:04 am »
I hope the whole "Vanessa wasn't forced to do this" thing isn't a response to my post, because I clearly state in it:
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"

I'm not saying anyone forced her to do this, and she probably had some fun in the process

I also don't care that she's featured in an RnB song just like I didn't care how Regina Spektor threw a punk song in the middle of Soviet Kitsch and I don't care how Ani DiFranco frequently experiments in different genres.

What bugs me is the overpromotion.  She's being handled more like a product than an artist right now and I'm just not used to that.  Art and commerce are very strange bedfellows, but in the modern music industry (which is controled by just four conglomorates) one must find a happy balance between music and business in order to be successful.  Some find  a way of exploiting this balance more effectively than others.  

We are all aware of how poorly Harmonium was handled, but some are suggesting that this album hurt Vanessa's chances of longevity in the music industry because of its modest chart and sales success.  Some are saying that becoming a HUGE star will be good for Vanessa because it gives her a better chance at longevity; I would argue that history proves otherwise.  Being successful is good, but there is a fine line one must walk.  What usually happens to artists that are big-time chart toppers and sales earners?  Who here remembers The Carpenters?  They had enormous success in their prime (much more than Vanessa ever has).  Who here has heard of Bob Dylan? (okay, that's kind of a stupid question).  He had almost no success on the charts in his prime, but he's still around.  I think Rolling Stone even named his most recent album the best of the year (not that what RS says really matters, but it does support my point that he is still around and famous for his current work, not just his past accomplishments).

The point I'm making is not that business success is bad for an artist, but it depends on what kind of success that artist gets.  Because, if Vanessa gets super famous because of brilliant marketing, she will be viewed as a product and not an artist.  That won't matter to us as long as we keep getting new albums (REGARDLESS OF WHAT KIND OF MUSIC SHE DECIDES TO MAKE...her evolution as an artist has nothing to do with my concerns, taste is an individual thing and no one should rip her for doing what she wants--I never did, but some people seem to be interpreting my post that way).  If Vanessa's success becomes more the product of marketing than art, her potential for greater longevity is severely compramised because Vanessa isn't going to be gorgeous and full of energy her whole life.

Remember, I'm not saying that Vanessa being on some RnB song is wrong or bad.  And I'm not saying that anything being done right now is wrong or bad, but if one looks at the big picture, this is a very slippery slope she's on.  I'm a fan like everyone else here.  I'm not ripping Vanessa, I'm just suggesting that, based on what I've learned as a Media Studies major, Vanessa is heading in a direction that could work out extremely well for a while and then blow up in her face in the long run.

amberbeads

• AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2007, 11:47:12 am »
Bob Dylan is the worst example ever. He's a legend, Johnny Cash covered him, and Rolling Stone also named Like a Rolling Stone as the greatest rock 'n' roll song EVER. Success? I think so.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.