Author Topic: disappointed?  (Read 22073 times)

amberbeads

  • You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • *****
  • Posts: 2296
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
disappointed?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 09:15:28 am »
Quote from: "VanessaPiana"
I was a little thrilled when I saw this thread, b/c it was exactly what the doctor ordered, b/c it hits on the nail what I'm thinkin'.

blah blah this is too long and tiresome to quote the whole thing

V may think her album is da bomb-diggity and her best work yet, but I beg [w/ all due respect], b/c it's about as far from that as it can get. It's very sad that V is wasting her vocal talent by singing in a monotone voice, b/c she's MUCH MORE capable than this. [I think 'Home' is from her demo, but I'm not sure.] She has a clear, beautiful voice [not to mention that she kind of sounds like Jewel], but she totally did herself under by doing a hack job on HAT w/ her dull, flat, boring monotone vocals. Yeah, [like some fans] I'm disappointed that songs such as 'Best Behavior' and 'All Is Well' didn't make the cut, but at this point it doesn't really matter anyway, b/c HAT is such a crappy album. On 'The One' [the live version w/ the shitty quality] V sang the song like her life literally DEPENDED on singing it right. She sang the song w/ such emotion that I almost cried; I'd NEVER heard her sing like that [except on some of her demo songs], even on BNN. But on HAT, she did a HORRIBLE job on the song vocally.


What the fuck are you TALKING about?
First, it is absolutely not necessary to capitalize the name of every album you reference.
Secondly, please don't ever compare Vanessa Carlton and Avril Lavigne again.
Third, if you refer to her as "Vannie" again I will have to cyberslap you.
Fourth and most important, I don't understand why you continue to listen to Vanessa and be a "fan." Your posts are generally incredibly overly critical of Vanessa and her music, and from what I can tell, you've rarely liked a thing she's done since BNN. If her music and vocals are too simple for you (which you're constantly complaining about her lack of complexity), go find someone else to listen to.

I don't think her vocals are "monotone" at all. Have you listened to the last verse of Home? Or the last lines of Fools Like Me? "The trees grow so thick... granted one more wish" in More Than This?
Vanessa made a beautiful album that she's very proud of and while it is different than her others and obviously different from your preferred type of music, calling it GOD AWFUL and whatever the fuck else you said during your little tirade is just rude. But I thought it was cute you threw in the "all due respect" line, because I don't think there was any respect in your post at all. Ann-Marie and others offered their criticisms in a respectful manner, whereas you threw insults.
Now, since you're so unhappy, stop being a fan a go away finally.
*natalie*



at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

Unicorn

  • Willing and Able to... Run
  • **
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 05:04:06 pm »
Disappointed? A little. Do I still like the CD? You bet.

When I first listened to all three of Vanessa's albums, I didn't have a very good first impression of all of them. I thought BNN was a little boring at first listen and I started to regret buying the album. After multiple listens, it became one of my favorite albums. When I first listened to Harmonium, I thought it was a little mellow and slow. After I listened to it more, it really grew on me and I consider it to be Vanessa's best album to date.

The same thing happened with H&T. I first listened to it when it was leaked and I initially loved it but I attributed that to me just being too damn excited to finally hear the new album rather than the album being good. I listened to it again after I bought it on Tuesday and I was left feeling a little underwhelmed. I know there's no need to panic because if history tells me something, this album will no doubt grow on me and I will eventually love it like I did with her two previous albums.

So, word of advice for those who are disappointed with this album: give it a few more listens and eventually, you'll start to like or even love this album as much as you loved her previous works.

**Ann-Marie89**

  • You're a Genuine Wannabe
  • *
  • Posts: 46
    • MSN Messenger - buttaflikat@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/NZannmarie89
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 05:52:20 pm »
Quote from: "amberbeads"
Quote from: "VanessaPiana"
I was a little thrilled when I saw this thread, b/c it was exactly what the doctor ordered, b/c it hits on the nail what I'm thinkin'.

blah blah this is too long and tiresome to quote the whole thing

V may think her album is da bomb-diggity and her best work yet, but I beg [w/ all due respect], b/c it's about as far from that as it can get. It's very sad that V is wasting her vocal talent by singing in a monotone voice, b/c she's MUCH MORE capable than this. [I think 'Home' is from her demo, but I'm not sure.] She has a clear, beautiful voice [not to mention that she kind of sounds like Jewel], but she totally did herself under by doing a hack job on HAT w/ her dull, flat, boring monotone vocals. Yeah, [like some fans] I'm disappointed that songs such as 'Best Behavior' and 'All Is Well' didn't make the cut, but at this point it doesn't really matter anyway, b/c HAT is such a crappy album. On 'The One' [the live version w/ the shitty quality] V sang the song like her life literally DEPENDED on singing it right. She sang the song w/ such emotion that I almost cried; I'd NEVER heard her sing like that [except on some of her demo songs], even on BNN. But on HAT, she did a HORRIBLE job on the song vocally.


What the fuck are you TALKING about?
First, it is absolutely not necessary to capitalize the name of every album you reference.
Secondly, please don't ever compare Vanessa Carlton and Avril Lavigne again.
Third, if you refer to her as "Vannie" again I will have to cyberslap you.
Fourth and most important, I don't understand why you continue to listen to Vanessa and be a "fan." Your posts are generally incredibly overly critical of Vanessa and her music, and from what I can tell, you've rarely liked a thing she's done since BNN. If her music and vocals are too simple for you (which you're constantly complaining about her lack of complexity), go find someone else to listen to.

I don't think her vocals are "monotone" at all. Have you listened to the last verse of Home? Or the last lines of Fools Like Me? "The trees grow so thick... granted one more wish" in More Than This?
Vanessa made a beautiful album that she's very proud of and while it is different than her others and obviously different from your preferred type of music, calling it GOD AWFUL and whatever the fuck else you said during your little tirade is just rude. But I thought it was cute you threw in the "all due respect" line, because I don't think there was any respect in your post at all. Ann-Marie and others offered their criticisms in a respectful manner, whereas you threw insults.
Now, since you're so unhappy, stop being a fan a go away finally.



I do think to say its "God Awful" is a little harsh.........  8O

Her singing has actually improved quite a bit. I actually have had training in classical singing (Opera) and the way most of the old Vanessa songs are sung, is by singing from your throat, not your diaphragm. Its actually quite bad. I like the sound, but its not "Technicaly" very good. Vanessa is now singing correctly. I only noticed the out of tune-ness and monotone-ness in "The One" during the bridge. I assume this is because she is harmonizing. (which is difficult to do!)
And also she has to keep in time, so everything was slowed, including her voice. Her singing has changed, and it probably dosn't have as much character, but at least she has matured in the skill of it all.

And More than this, Vanessa's Vocal,s the producing and everything about this song is perfect. This song is my favourite and would blow anyone away. The ideas are awesome (including the lyrics of the last half)
And I agree! Avril Lavgine is ICKY ICKY ICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ewwwww.
that is very insulting to poor Nessa!  :cry:

Now now, so evryone calm down. Don't worry after a few listens it will grow on anyone who thinks they don't like it. :)

Katherine Ann Marie xox
**Ann-Marie like a mirror of what you wanna be**

*Tutorials* and Nessa Song Demonstrations of Accurate Transcriptions from Me, Myself and I, as well as Pianobea, Blueglove and Maag (mentioned on each song where applicable) on Youtube! Yay!! (Go See! ^_^)

http://www.youtube.com/NZannmarie89

Jessica

  • VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • *
  • Posts: 833
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
Re: disappointed?
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 06:16:51 pm »
Quote from: "alison"
i have been a vc fan for a very long time...be not nobody was one of the first albums i ever owned.
i saw her live at the roxy earlier this year and i don't know when i was more excited for an album.
i must say i am thoroughly disappointed in heroes & thieves.

vanessa's performance at the roxy was epic...just her and her piano, and you could really feel the emotion and the beauty of the songs.

this album is totally pop synthesized.
i had an amazing live performance of hands on me that i loved, but on the album i feel like shes playing with a metronome. one of the most brilliant things about her work was her ability to switch tempo.

fools like me has by far the best lyrics of any song...especially the last 3 lines which i am obsessed with. but the instrumentals are completely overwhelming and take over the rest of the song.
i just don't understand why sooo many songs fail to have the piano as the lead instrument...i do not like vanessa because of her voice..i like her songwriting/pianoplaying/singing combo.

i just feel completely blindsighted...what artist does entirely acoustic live performances when their album is pop?



its frusterating that this album had 5 star potential and its only like a 3, MAYBE a 3.5



i felt the same way upon the first listen..... i've been listening more and more and just trying to accept it for what it is and its growing on me...
atleast we'll still have the live performances :) which wont be over produced..
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Butz

  • Make me high on lullabies
  • ***
  • Posts: 237
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 07:23:38 pm »
Quote from: "amberbeads"
Quote from: "VanessaPiana"
I was a little thrilled when I saw this thread, b/c it was exactly what the doctor ordered, b/c it hits on the nail what I'm thinkin'.

blah blah this is too long and tiresome to quote the whole thing

V may think her album is da bomb-diggity and her best work yet, but I beg [w/ all due respect], b/c it's about as far from that as it can get. It's very sad that V is wasting her vocal talent by singing in a monotone voice, b/c she's MUCH MORE capable than this. [I think 'Home' is from her demo, but I'm not sure.] She has a clear, beautiful voice [not to mention that she kind of sounds like Jewel], but she totally did herself under by doing a hack job on HAT w/ her dull, flat, boring monotone vocals. Yeah, [like some fans] I'm disappointed that songs such as 'Best Behavior' and 'All Is Well' didn't make the cut, but at this point it doesn't really matter anyway, b/c HAT is such a crappy album. On 'The One' [the live version w/ the shitty quality] V sang the song like her life literally DEPENDED on singing it right. She sang the song w/ such emotion that I almost cried; I'd NEVER heard her sing like that [except on some of her demo songs], even on BNN. But on HAT, she did a HORRIBLE job on the song vocally.


What the fuck are you TALKING about?
First, it is absolutely not necessary to capitalize the name of every album you reference.
Secondly, please don't ever compare Vanessa Carlton and Avril Lavigne again.
Third, if you refer to her as "Vannie" again I will have to cyberslap you.
Fourth and most important, I don't understand why you continue to listen to Vanessa and be a "fan." Your posts are generally incredibly overly critical of Vanessa and her music, and from what I can tell, you've rarely liked a thing she's done since BNN. If her music and vocals are too simple for you (which you're constantly complaining about her lack of complexity), go find someone else to listen to.

I don't think her vocals are "monotone" at all. Have you listened to the last verse of Home? Or the last lines of Fools Like Me? "The trees grow so thick... granted one more wish" in More Than This?
Vanessa made a beautiful album that she's very proud of and while it is different than her others and obviously different from your preferred type of music, calling it GOD AWFUL and whatever the fuck else you said during your little tirade is just rude. But I thought it was cute you threw in the "all due respect" line, because I don't think there was any respect in your post at all. Ann-Marie and others offered their criticisms in a respectful manner, whereas you threw insults.
Now, since you're so unhappy, stop being a fan a go away finally.


Amen!

Baronessa PianoBea

  • Make me high on lullabies
  • ***
  • Posts: 171
    • View Profile
    • Your Sharona
disappointed?
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 07:26:49 pm »
Yes, she sings differently on certain songs.....the way one would sing when one is sad..  :cry:

Initially I didn't like the way she sings "This Time". It's a little slow, therefore her phrasing & tone is slower. But it's a sad, reflective song right? I think, if you feel the same emotion that each song portrays, you will find it suits perfectly. So when I'm a girl in a panic and feel sadness in my veins again, I'm sure I will cry to this song, and love it more.

I was very surprised hearing Spring Street for the first time, but I love her style of singing here. Kinda reminds me of old Fleetwood Mac...dunno why.  :?

Anyway....I know how it is to write a song and really feel the emotion of it when it is new, then hearing it when not feeling the same way, it sounds different.  A lot of my own songs don't affect me the same way any more. (other artist example: Frou Frou's "Hear Me Out" -- go have a listen. It's magical. I cried to that sooo much this spring, but now listening to it I feel strangely blank.)

So if you don't like Vanessa's songs, singing, or production, maybe you're just not feeling her. :)
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams."

www.yoursharona.com
www.pianobea.com

VanessaPiana

  • Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
    • View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 08:20:51 pm »
Quote from: "Twilight_Angel"
VanessaPiana....

NO ONE calls her Vannie, thats the worse nickname for her ever.

Secondly, try releasing an album as good as hers before you slate it.

thirdly, you have no right to critisize her so harshly when you havent even been here that long  :roll:

oh...and no one cares if you're a good speller.

I love the album. Admititly its different from her last two but some of the songs are classics....Nolita fairytale, hands on me, come undone, fools like me, home, this time and more then this are amazing. The others are brilliant but in my opinion not as good.


First of all, I can call her whatever I want. I know Vannie's a little corny, but y'all say corny-ass sh!t all the time. Secondly, I've been here for quite a while [since 4/05, which is been 2 1/2 years], so again, get your facts straight. I just don't come here as often as I used to b/c for every person I get along w/ I encounter 3x as many douche-bags [like you] who put people down whose opinions are different from theirs. I honestly don't know what the big deal about Van is; the only thing I've liked about her since I've become a fan is her music, bar none. If someone says something bad about her or her music, so what? It's not the end of the world. I'm entitled to my opinions and have a right not to be bothered b/c they're different from the other fans' up here.

I don't have time to spin my wheels and waste my time arguing w/ anyone b/c when it's all said and done people are pigheaded, implacable and won't change no matter what. I have too much to do and life's short, so I don't have time for that kind of foolishness. I feel the way I feel about HAT [the singing/songwriting's pretty bad, by the way, so I'm very disappointed] and mud-flinging and name-calling won't make me budge. Although I don't always agree with others, at least I have enough class to take their opinions into account and have a civil discussion. Fussing people out for disagreein' will only drive them away... or make the debate get ugly. But I won't take your opinions seriously if I'm being gravely insulted and attacked at the same time. For the record, take that around the bend, put it in your pipe and smoke it if you want to.

itsthefiveofus

  • You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • *****
  • Posts: 2287
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 09:08:45 pm »
Quote from: "VanessaPiana"
Quote from: "Twilight_Angel"
VanessaPiana....

NO ONE calls her Vannie, thats the worse nickname for her ever.

Secondly, try releasing an album as good as hers before you slate it.

thirdly, you have no right to critisize her so harshly when you havent even been here that long  :roll:

oh...and no one cares if you're a good speller.

I love the album. Admititly its different from her last two but some of the songs are classics....Nolita fairytale, hands on me, come undone, fools like me, home, this time and more then this are amazing. The others are brilliant but in my opinion not as good.


First of all, I can call her whatever I want. I know Vannie's a little corny, but y'all say corny-ass sh!t all the time. Secondly, I've been here for quite a while [since 4/05, which is been 2 1/2 years], so again, get your facts straight. I just don't come here as often as I used to b/c for every person I get along w/ I encounter 3x as many douche-bags [like you] who put people down whose opinions are different from theirs. I honestly don't know what the big deal about Van is; the only thing I've liked about her since I've become a fan is her music, bar none. If someone says something bad about her or her music, so what? It's not the end of the world. I'm entitled to my opinions and have a right not to be bothered b/c they're different from the other fans' up here.

I don't have time to spin my wheels and waste my time arguing w/ anyone b/c when it's all said and done people are pigheaded, implacable and won't change no matter what. I have too much to do and life's short, so I don't have time for that kind of foolishness. I feel the way I feel about HAT [the singing/songwriting's pretty bad, by the way, so I'm very disappointed] and mud-flinging and name-calling won't make me budge. Although I don't always agree with others, at least I have enough class to take their opinions into account and have a civil discussion. Fussing people out for disagreein' will only drive them away... or make the debate get ugly. But I won't take your opinions seriously if I'm being gravely insulted and attacked at the same time. For the record, take that around the bend, put it in your pipe and smoke it if you want to.


well if it helps anything I like the nickname vanie =]

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

emil0ca

  • Willing and Able to... Run
  • **
  • Posts: 55
    • MSN Messenger - emil0ca@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://devoted.to/cardinalbabes
disappointed?
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 10:34:44 pm »
And I think it's a little annoying to use a person's number of posts and/or join date as a mark to how good of a poster they are. I realize every message board is a bit rude to the newbies at first, but it still irritates me.

Twilight_Angel

  • Your true colors shown
  • *****
  • Posts: 509
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2007, 12:42:27 am »
Quote from: "VanessaPiana"
Quote from: "Twilight_Angel"
VanessaPiana....

NO ONE calls her Vannie, thats the worse nickname for her ever.

Secondly, try releasing an album as good as hers before you slate it.

thirdly, you have no right to critisize her so harshly when you havent even been here that long  :roll:

oh...and no one cares if you're a good speller.

I love the album. Admititly its different from her last two but some of the songs are classics....Nolita fairytale, hands on me, come undone, fools like me, home, this time and more then this are amazing. The others are brilliant but in my opinion not as good.


First of all, I can call her whatever I want. I know Vannie's a little corny, but y'all say corny-ass sh!t all the time. Secondly, I've been here for quite a while [since 4/05, which is been 2 1/2 years], so again, get your facts straight. I just don't come here as often as I used to b/c for every person I get along w/ I encounter 3x as many douche-bags [like you] who put people down whose opinions are different from theirs. I honestly don't know what the big deal about Van is; the only thing I've liked about her since I've become a fan is her music, bar none. If someone says something bad about her or her music, so what? It's not the end of the world. I'm entitled to my opinions and have a right not to be bothered b/c they're different from the other fans' up here.

I don't have time to spin my wheels and waste my time arguing w/ anyone b/c when it's all said and done people are pigheaded, implacable and won't change no matter what. I have too much to do and life's short, so I don't have time for that kind of foolishness. I feel the way I feel about HAT [the singing/songwriting's pretty bad, by the way, so I'm very disappointed] and mud-flinging and name-calling won't make me budge. Although I don't always agree with others, at least I have enough class to take their opinions into account and have a civil discussion. Fussing people out for disagreein' will only drive them away... or make the debate get ugly. But I won't take your opinions seriously if I'm being gravely insulted and attacked at the same time. For the record, take that around the bend, put it in your pipe and smoke it if you want to.
wow, someones defensive  :lol:

I dont really give a shit how long you have been here- all I know is I havent seen you around at all.

secondly, try writing proper words :) it would really help.


and also, I dont care if you dont like it...but saying its god awful on a NESSAHOLICS site? you know- a site where we LIKE her?? unless your extremely stupid you should have known that was gonna cause some uproar?

I have nothing else to say on the matter..except if you dislike it so strongly then just dont talk about it here, because Im pretty sure Vanessa reads this and shes worked damn hard on it just to have a so-called fan called it 'god awful'

VanessaPiana

  • Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
    • View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2007, 11:47:25 am »
I'm pretty sure the rest of you like her new album, I just don't, and cussing me out ain't gonna change my mind. I just don't like the singin' and the piano playing, mainly b/c it's different, but I just think it's pretty bad. It's not the kind of singing as I know singing. Maybe I'll like it in the future, maybe it'll grow on me, maybe it won't. But for now I'm stickin' to my guns and my story remains the same. If you don't like it... well, hell, there ain't nothin' I can do. If I don't like someone's music, I can always listen somebody else I think is better; I do it all the time; it's just that simple. Get over it and get a life. Some of you may think I'm mean, but if you want a bitch, you'll get one.

Gosh, you people defend Van like you know her personally or something... she's not the only talented singer/songwriter in the pond, you know. I'm pretty sure Van has worked her tush off on this album and that's wonderful, but sincerity ain't everything, you know. [You can be as sincere as you want to be and still be wrong or make a big mistake.] I've noticed that Alicia Keys [who I'm a big fan of] singing style has changed, too, although her latest hit song has yet to knock my socks off; I'll have to wait 'til her next album comes out. For those of you who have a problem w/ my grammer... get used to it. I can use proper grammer if I wanted, but choose not to. This ain't a job interview or IBM or something.

liquidblue244

  • Your true colors shown
  • *****
  • Posts: 551
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2007, 12:25:13 pm »
Quote from: "VanessaPiana"
I'm pretty sure the rest of you like her new album, I just don't, and cussing me out ain't gonna change my mind. I just don't like the singin' and the piano playing, mainly b/c it's different, but I just think it's pretty bad. It's not the kind of singing as I know singing. Maybe I'll like it in the future, maybe it'll grow on me, maybe it won't. But for now I'm stickin' to my guns and my story remains the same. If you don't like it... well, hell, there ain't nothin' I can do. If I don't like someone's music, I can always listen somebody else I think is better; I do it all the time; it's just that simple. Get over it and get a life. Some of you may think I'm mean, but if you want a bitch, you'll get one.

Gosh, you people defend Van like you know her personally or something... she's not the only talented singer/songwriter in the pond, you know. I'm pretty sure Van has worked her tush off on this album and that's wonderful, but sincerity ain't everything, you know. [You can be as sincere as you want to be and still be wrong or make a big mistake.] I've noticed that Alicia Keys [who I'm a big fan of] singing style has changed, too, although her latest hit song has yet to knock my socks off; I'll have to wait 'til her next album comes out. For those of you who have a problem w/ my grammer... get used to it. I can use proper grammer if I wanted, but choose not to. This ain't a job interview or IBM or something.


OMG. PLEASE.....stop talking.......you seem like a rambler and NOBODY CARES.....UGHHHHH.

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

xxlovelyxx

  • Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • ****
  • Posts: 292
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xbutterfliesx23
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2007, 08:43:46 pm »
everyone has a right to state thier own opinion....

Alecs

  • You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • *****
  • Posts: 2268
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2007, 08:50:02 pm »
Quote from: "xxlovelyxx"
everyone has a right to state thier own opinion....


true even though it's really annoying and hard not to argue with... lol
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

alison

  • You're a Genuine Wannabe
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yaay+its+a
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2007, 11:24:11 pm »
well everyone is saying i just don't like the fact that its different then BNNB and harmonium but thast not the case.
this is pop. there is no other genre description for it other then that. except its just not catchy enough to even be GOOD pop.
im not saying i don't love it. i do. i love vc, ill love anything she does.
its just epically disappointing when something has 5 star potential and it just doesn't happen.